IGNORED

"Because she's the girl"

tkr322

Came across this blog through other fundie blogs. Apparently she was having guest women bloggers on her's and this is one of them. This guest blogger talks about chores and mentions that her daughter has the most days in the kitchen "because she's the girl" :roll: :doh: caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot dot com/2012/01/t-time-55meet-rachel.html

Absolutely ridiculous.

Came across this blog through other fundie blogs. Apparently she was having guest women bloggers on her's and this is one of them. This guest blogger talks about chores and mentions that her daughter has the most days in the kitchen "because she's the girl" :roll: :doh: caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot dot com/2012/01/t-time-55meet-rachel.html

Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm looking for a vomit smiley, but I can't find it.....

I grew up the only girl with two brothers, and I can't tell you how bad the phrase "because you're a girl" makes me want to SCRATCH EYES OUT!

That little girl has kitchen duty 3x as much as her brothers and then an even share of other chores. That's a lot for a 9 yo.

I'm looking for a vomit smiley, but I can't find it.....

It's on the bottom of page 7 of the smilies. I only know because I've had to use it all the time on this board.

This post is a perfect time for it: :puke-front:

I grew up the only girl with two brothers, and I can't tell you how bad the phrase "because you're a girl" makes me want to SCRATCH EYES OUT!

+10000!!! I'm also the only girl with two brothers! Guess who always had to do the damn dishes growing up. :angry-cussing:

oh, but they all love it so much! It's Sarah's privilege to "get" extra days (and you know it can't be sexism when you're favouring the girls, now, can it?)

Makes me infinitely grateful that my parents really never made a distinction between what my brothers or I could/couldn't do based on our genders. We were equally in charge of dishes, cleaning and mowing the lawn. I'm pretty sure the only time my parents have ever said I couldn't do something because I'm a girl was when I was 4 and tried to pee standing up...I don't think they appreciated the mess lol

Because you know, when her sons grow up and any half decent girl refuses to marry them because of the backwards upbringing their mother has given them, these boys won't need basic life skills like cleaning their home, making simple meals or doing the laundry. She isn't just harming her daughters she's harming her sons too. So its just poor parenting all around.

Ooooooh, how I hate this. Two of my girl cousins got kitchen and general housecleaning duty every day, while their brothers got yardwork and snow shoveling, which averaged out to once a week, tops.

Of course, their father was the one who got to go to college because he was "the boy," but my mom, who was class valedictorian and got a scholarship, couldn't because their parents couldn't afford her other expenses.

My aunt, a public school teacher who carried the family's health insurance, had a bon mot I loved: Whenever he'd kvetch about the house not being up to snuff, she'd sigh and say, "Yes, you're right. I think I'll have to quit my job.". That shut him up.

One of my dad's brothers always said that of COURSE he'd leave his son more money in his will than his daughters, because his son "would have a family to support." All of his daughters wound up divorced, with kids, and his still-married 45-year-old son never had any.

Yeah, I'm a feminist. Why do you ask?

it was my job to clean the toilets "because I was the girl", even though it was my 3 brothers missing the pot knowing they didn't have to clean it up! I have taught my daughter how to clean a toilet, but it is the boys' job in this house!

ALL the chores alternated between me and my brother except for the yard when we had an acre and a push-mower. I hated that thing, but he loved it because it built up muscle for football. Otherwise we both did dishes, we both worked in the yard, etc.. It's good to raise well-rounded kids.

She'd have a heart attack knowing my husband was making dinner and cleaning dishes and watching out kid while I was laying down the new flooring in our bedroom.

My dad's mother taught him how to wash clothes, cook, sew, clean, a whole bunch of things traditionally considered women's work. Her rationale was that my dad would one day live by himself, for some period of time, without her or a wife around. Even though he's got a wife now, he does the cooking while if my mom's stuck doing it, she'll just throw something in the oven. I was never told I could only do "women's work" because growing up, I didn't have brothers but one sister. Yes, we both did yard work. I didn't mow the lawn though, because the one time I did it I nearly fell off the damn mower (it was a riding mower).

My dad, btw, is 64.

My dad's mother taught him how to wash clothes, cook, sew, clean, a whole bunch of things traditionally considered women's work. Her rationale was that my dad would one day live by himself, for some period of time, without her or a wife around. Even though he's got a wife now, he does the cooking while if my mom's stuck doing it, she'll just throw something in the oven. I was never told I could only do "women's work" because growing up, I didn't have brothers but one sister. Yes, we both did yard work. I didn't mow the lawn though, because the one time I did it I nearly fell off the damn mower (it was a riding mower).

My dad, btw, is 64.

My dad came from a big Irish Catholic family (yeah, I'm an Irish Jew. It's awesome) and my grandma taught all of her boys to do housework SO well. He still amazes me in his housekeeping abilities.

I don't have brothers but I suspect my parents would have split down gender lines in some respects, if only because once I got to high school and started dating, my dad made my boyfriend mow the lawn, which I was never expected to do. On the other hand, my dad did take me to the car show! (It was about the only sporting thing he ever did.)

+10000!!! I'm also the only girl with two brothers! Guess who always had to do the damn dishes growing up. :angry-cussing:

I have 2 boys and a girl and ALL do the same chores by rotating days. My oldest son is the only one who bakes bread and makes sushi because he likes to. The rule in my house is you don't cut grass until age 13 because we have an acre of grass and a push mower. The girl will be 13 and on the grass rotation this summer. The oldest 2 know how to wash clothes and do it. The kids worked it out the boys walk/feed the dogs and the girl feeds the cats/does litter because she likes the cats better and they like the dogs. No gender chores here. My daughter plays ice hockey,come on.

I grew up with 3 girls and we all washed dishes, dumped garbage and cut grass(including the elderly neighbors grass) and helped remodel the kitchen. I expect the same :whistle: .

I grew up as the only girl, with 2 brothers (my sister came along when I was almost 20). Thankfully my mother and step father believed it should be equal (with some exceptions for the brother with cerebral palsy, based on his ability).

My father is fundie-lite, but thankfully never applied his gender roles to me. My brothers and I did approximately the same amount, with me occasionally doing extra cooking, mostly because both my father and I love to cook, and it was how we spent time together. And if we cooked, the brothers cleaned :D.

Archived