IGNORED

Purit ring research fail

2xx1xy1JD

While googling the effectiveness of purity rings, I came across this:

http://www.s-r-a.org/announcements/blog ... neration-z

which I thought was interesting because of the links, the fact that the author had actually hoped for some real research showing that the purity rings were effective, and the fact the research was lacking.

I then read through the Heritage Foundation "research" rebutting the report on the ineffectiveness of purity pledges.

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... +Behaviors

In short, it's a bucket full of fail.

First, it has a truly weird obsession with disproving the idea that pledgers may be substituting oral or anal sex for vaginal sex. It considers THIS to be the main objection to the purity pledge program.

Oddly enough, that claim doesn't appear on the abstract of Rosenbaum's original anti-pledge research paper:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e110.full

So, why does it seem to bother the Heritage Foundation so much? Because they believe that non-vaginal sex is ebil, obviously.

Second, it acknowledges but then completely brushes off the real concern of the Rosenbaum report, which is that pledger teens sex have sex, but are less likely to use protection when they do. Incredibly, the Heritage Foundation report contains this:

"While it is true, that virginity pledges are less likely to use contraception during their very first experience of intercourse, by young adult years differences in contraceptive use between sexually active pledgers and non-pledgers have completely disappeared. "

Um, not using birth control during the first experience isn't just some random blip that disappears over time. In real life, it means that teenagers who are pledgers are more likely to be completely unprotected from pregnancy and disease, at a time when it may be most crucial to them. The fact that contraceptive use doesn't differ significantly later on means very little if pledgers are getting pregnant when they first start to have sex. It should be setting off alarm bells. But no, birth control is unimportant or ebil, so the fact that pledgers may not be using it isn't much of a problem for the Heritage Foundation.

While googling the effectiveness of purity rings, I came across this:

http://www.s-r-a.org/announcements/blog ... neration-z

which I thought was interesting because of the links, the fact that the author had actually hoped for some real research showing that the purity rings were effective, and the fact the research was lacking.

I then read through the Heritage Foundation "research" rebutting the report on the ineffectiveness of purity pledges.

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... +Behaviors

In short, it's a bucket full of fail.

First, it has a truly weird obsession with disproving the idea that pledgers may be substituting oral or anal sex for vaginal sex. It considers THIS to be the main objection to the purity pledge program.

Oddly enough, that claim doesn't appear on the abstract of Rosenbaum's original anti-pledge research paper:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e110.full

So, why does it seem to bother the Heritage Foundation so much? Because they believe that non-vaginal sex is ebil, obviously.

Second, it acknowledges but then completely brushes off the real concern of the Rosenbaum report, which is that pledger teens sex have sex, but are less likely to use protection when they do. Incredibly, the Heritage Foundation report contains this:

"While it is true, that virginity pledges are less likely to use contraception during their very first experience of intercourse, by young adult years differences in contraceptive use between sexually active pledgers and non-pledgers have completely disappeared. "

Um, not using birth control during the first experience isn't just some random blip that disappears over time. In real life, it means that teenagers who are pledgers are more likely to be completely unprotected from pregnancy and disease, at a time when it may be most crucial to them. The fact that contraceptive use doesn't differ significantly later on means very little if pledgers are getting pregnant when they first start to have sex. It should be setting off alarm bells. But no, birth control is unimportant or ebil, so the fact that pledgers may not be using it isn't much of a problem for the Heritage Foundation.

I knew a girl from my old church who wore a purity ring and she would take it off, claim she slept with some guy and put it back on to stay pure. She did this several times. I had no sympathy for her like the others. She would say people called her a whore, but I never heard that. I started to think she wanted to be thought of that way after awhile and her continous display of her "sexual sins". I normally don't assume people want attention, but with her, I did and still do think she liked the drama and the attention she got when she "confessed her sin" and how she was "reformed" and I actually wondered if she slept with all the guys she claimed or was just lying for the attention it brought her. Regardless, she was a hypocrite by putting the ring back on when she was not pure. I wore the ring for a bit, then quit because I decided to not wear my "purity" on my sleeve. It was not anyone's business except future SOs as to my virginity or lack thereof. When I took it off, people assumed that meant I lost my "purity". It was a bit awkward, but I said it wasn't anyone business and that was the end of the discussion. Purity rings are worthless, plain and simple. Someone wearing one may not be as "pure" as people think they are.

My parents gave me a purity ring for Christmas one year, but it certainly didn't stop my boyfriend and me from gettin' it on (mostly without protection).

The problem is that too many people put purity on a pedestal. Having sex before marriage is not a greater sin than any other, at least according to what most Christians believe. Yet, virginity has become an idol for some.

There would be nothing wrong with wearing a ring to remind the individual of morals that they consider important, such as not gossiping, being kind, treating others with love. Those morals are written about in the bible. Abstaining until marriage is also mentioned but it isn't given more weight than other sins, is it?

I never had one and never wanted one. I don't like the idea of displaying one's purity, it seems similar to a claddagh ring displaying a relationship status, which I also don't like. And really if you don't already know my sexual history or relationship status you really don't need to be in the loop.

I wear my great grandmother's engagement ring as a right hand ring, occasionally on the left hand if I want to mess with someone.

I also don't understand how girls, who are still dependent on their parents, can be held to the promise to remain chaste. Most of these girls are underage and still under their parents control. At the best, their lives will be made uncomfortable if they refuse take a pledge or wear the ring. Imagine if a 14 year old tells her dad that she doesn't want to wear the ring because she doesn't know if she can remain chaste until marriage. Christian parents who value purity are not going to be pleased that their child doesn't make the pledge or accepts the ring. Most kids will go along so that their lives won't be made uncomfortable and their parents will be happy

What I don't get is this. Lets say you save it til marriage. Even your first kiss. Only having rampant hand-sex. Or BETTER YET, using the 6 inch rule.

Then, you get married. 2 years later, your spouse dies of some quick acting tragic disease.

WHO WILL MARRY YOU? with that kind of mentality? you're already "damaged goods" because you've had sex. O_O

Incidentally, does anyone have the link to the full documentary on the virgins til marriage? The one with the really gross kissing?

My google fu isn't working (probably because i'm STILL on cold medicine and completely out of it. Seriously this cold? needs to die, right now. I have never had a cold for SO long and it NOT be a sinus infection- which its not) - It'll be fun to watch while i"m here seething with the dark cooties.

WHO WILL MARRY YOU? with that kind of mentality? you're already "damaged goods" because you've had sex. O_O

True.

Girls should hold onto their purity before marriage, or else they'll just be thrown away. The neglect to inform these girls that once they're 45 and in ovarian failure the movement will discard them anyway. Michelle Duggar is just bout to find this out.

So basically they have admitted that unprotected sex is more common among teenagers in their programs?

That's a big fat fail.

My girlfriend gave me a purity ring in college with the inscription "True Love Waits", in reference to us waiting until gay marriage became legal in Canada.

Our relationship eventually dissolved, but I still have the purity ring, and wear it sometimes because it makes me smile.

My girlfriend gave me a purity ring in college with the inscription "True Love Waits", in reference to us waiting until gay marriage became legal in Canada.

Our relationship eventually dissolved, but I still have the purity ring, and wear it sometimes because it makes me smile.

That's actually REALLY sweet. :P

Awwww. That's the first purity ring story I've read that I actually like.

What I don't get is this. Lets say you save it til marriage. Even your first kiss. Only having rampant hand-sex. Or BETTER YET, using the 6 inch rule.

Then, you get married. 2 years later, your spouse dies of some quick acting tragic disease.

Incidentally, does anyone have the link to the full documentary on the virgins til marriage? The one with the really gross kissing?

My google fu isn't working (probably because i'm STILL on cold medicine and completely out of it. Seriously this cold? needs to die, right now. I have never had a cold for SO long and it NOT be a sinus infection- which its not) - It'll be fun to watch while i"m here seething with the dark cooties.

I'm pretty sure widows are exempt from being 'damaged goods' though.

I'm a Christian and waiting until marriage to have sex, although this is just my personal conviction and I am not convinced that premarital sex is a sin. Anyway, I have never had a purity ring and never shall, mostly because I am an adult (23) woman who doesn't need a ring to tell her not to have sex, because it's my own conviction and not that of my dad or anyone else. I also find it odd how public it all is - if virginity is such a precious thing, why is it not more, you know, private? I doubt any of these girls who talk about how great virginity is would talk later about how great sex is.

So basically they have admitted that unprotected sex is more common among teenagers in their programs?

That's a big fat fail.

They did a longitudinal data study of girls that took virginity pledges in my DDs school dist. What it revealed was the pledge girls had unprotected sex earlier and at higher rates than the godless heathens, or those religious who didn't take pledges. The nonpledge girls who were sexually active had zero STDs by graduation, 50% of the pledge girls had STDs. A whopping 60% of the pledge girls got knocked up before senior year. The study started when the girls were in 7th grade. My DD is 26 and a couple of the pledge girls who were preggers at graduation are at 5 kids today.

Holy, do I love this story... :D

I took the silly pledge. Well by the time that came around I was already hard core im my belief that i did not need a boy to make of happy. I actually decided this im sixth grade and the abstinent thing came around two years later. It warmt until ninth grade that i even had my first crush. I held onto this because I didn't want to become a teem mom I didn't want to have a boyfriend... I just didn't want boy of it. I was taught well... But i was also terribly naive. I didn't case to know about sex so i wasn't even sure how it worked. I waited until I was twenty... And finally had sex with my first crush. It was... A very where experience for me. It definately was not what i expected and it wasn't the way I thought it should be... And i struggled with it for a while. Now nobody told me to remain pure and nobody would have given me hell about it... Im not really sure how that worked out.

Purity ring is one of those things people should make for themselves. Making it into an elaborate ceremony or whatever dilutes the core message, which is a promise to yourself.

I used to think abstinence was great and all that. However, I've come around to the idea that a healthy sexuality is part of a healthy lifestyle. Sex is hardwired into us. Why is it the only biological imperative which we heavily censor? We eat when we are hungry. We sleep when we are tired. We urinate and defecate when we have an "urge". Sure, we try to eat healthier and portion control the size. We adjust sleep to your busy lives. We refrain from defecating or urinating until a designated time and place. However, no one thinks it's good to not use the bathroom for an entire day, to not sleep for days, or to not eat for weeks. Why do we think it's healthy to go for years and decades without sex? Well, at the very least, masturbate to expel some of that sexual energy. From a medical standpoint, there's nothing really healthy about complete sexual abstinence.

Guest Anonymous

I hadn't heard of purity rings or purity balls until I was a grown woman. Purity balls are downright creepy. BIL saw a news segment about one & he freaked out. So, no purity balls for my nieces. No purity rings either. Thank goodness.

WHO WILL MARRY YOU? with that kind of mentality? you're already "damaged goods" because you've had sex. O_O.

I wonder if this is why once women get married they almost disappear until the babies start showing up. They're "damaged goods" because they had sex until redeemed by pregnancy. I mean, it must be hard to give up such strong, negative emotions just because you had the wedding.

Also, I wonder if this is why so many "princesses" of the movement have yet to get married. Why sully themselves by becoming "damaged goods"? Let someone from a lower-tier family try to marry and reproduce up the social ladder by marrying their brothers, the princesses have no need to ruin themselves that way.

Think about it....

I think if purity rings would have been in vogue when I was in high school, I would have had one. But I was a late bloomer and I didn't have a boyfriend in high school. I thought I was going to wait until marriage but college happened :lol:

No purity rings or purity balls, if they are still a thing, for my daughter (who is currently only 3) - I'll probably tell her I'd rather her not have sex in high school but educate her on how to have safe sex just in case.

This is my favorite part:

I spoke to Denny Pattyn, the president and founder of Silver Ring Thing. Pattyn stated that the effectiveness of virginity pledges really depends on how you define success. Whether it is with “perfect†virginity (remaining a virgin until married) or practicing safe sex with condoms or renewing ones virginity.

Well, Denny, my man, it seems you've failed on all counts. Way to go!

I'm a Christian and waiting until marriage to have sex, although this is just my personal conviction and I am not convinced that premarital sex is a sin. Anyway, I have never had a purity ring and never shall, mostly because I am an adult (23) woman who doesn't need a ring to tell her not to have sex, because it's my own conviction and not that of my dad or anyone else. I also find it odd how public it all is - if virginity is such a precious thing, why is it not more, you know, private? I doubt any of these girls who talk about how great virginity is would talk later about how great sex is.

I suppose the creators think that peer pressure will help young people stay in line. If everyone is wearing a ring, then people will be less likely to rush head-long into sex.

Also, the dudes get to sell some rings for $45 a pop.

Archived