IGNORED

Unthinking Housewife versus dog lovers

Doomed Harlottt

These people just limit their world so much it's sad. Dogs are not kids and are not substitutes. $130 for a shelter adoption sounds reasonable, spay/neuter and shots aren't cheap.

I live in Manhattan, lots of people have dog strollers or stick their dog in a kids one. Little dogs, older dogs, puppies or disabled dogs can't handle long distance walking and need to be in something in order to take public transportation. Better an open stroller than being stuck in a bag.

As to good apartment dogs, check out the weight restrictions for housing in your area. Here once the dog is over 25lbs it starts to limit your options, over 40lbs limits it further and there's not very many places for animals over 75lbs. We adopted 6 year old mellow mutt who completely ignores our chinchilla.

Call and complain about the dogs offleash and not being picked up after. It makes all the responsible pet owners look bad. I've been calling animal control at least once a week over a group of people who let their dogs offleash in a public park and one of the dogs is aggressive. It's beyond obnoxious.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In today’s culture, Humane Societies are big business. To adopt a kitten from our local Humane Society costs 130.00 (if they have any). Some Humane Societies have enormous, brand-new facilities. These sick older people who treat their animals better than they do their grandchildren, also take great pride in talking about adopting “rescue†pets. They have done their good deed for society by saving an animal from death. Funny how every animal these days seems to be a “rescue†animal"

This makes me want to punch her in the face. Does she have ANY idea how much it costs to run a facility? That adoption fee is the cat, its spay/nueter/medical care, usually all shots, microchipping and the time it was "boarding" at the shelter. $130 is a freaking STEAL. And Humane Societies are non-profits, not big business. Idiot.

I've noticed there is a semi-trend within uber-fundiedom to be a bit suspicious of animals and particularly pets. Notice the Duggars, for example. They have mentioned having various pets, but we never see them, and in fact most of those pets are strays whom the Duggars occasionally feed (extended "world tours" or trips on the Santorum bus notwithstanding.) Once, on the show, there was a dog who came to the house, presumably to be fed. Michelle got flustered and started saying to the dog, "Shoo! Shoo! Shoo, whatever your name is!" The dog ran off. Being a huge dog lover, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, in ultra-Orthodox Judaism pets are very rare. Many groups discourage owning dogs and cats because it's considered spiritually damaging to have non-kosher animals in the house. (Some groups even restrict animal toys, and will cut pictures of non-kosher animals out of books and textbooks. No joke.) Dogs are considered the worst because, according to Jewish lore, they have "bad middos," or bad character. Some rabbinical opinions explicitly forbid the owning of dogs. You'll almost never see a hareidi Jewish family with dogs, unless they are guard dogs. I think part of the prejudice against dogs is that dogs have been used to harm and threaten Jews throughout history...but still, it makes me sad.

The Jill Farris comment is a shocker. I would have thought rescue programs were completely uncontroversial. Maybe these people are just so unkind at heart that they automatically hate and fear evidence of kindness and love in others? Otherwise, I can't fathom why anyone would have such a negative reaction to helping abandoned animals who cannot speak or care for themselves.

And then there is this comment from Eric, who starts off by saying it's okay with him if people with kids dote on their dogs but:

. . . When I see a childless young woman or couple doting on a dog, it bothers me.

The idea that some douchebag has an opinion about whether I've put my uterus to good use is somewhat disturbing. And the fact that he is connecting this in his mind with my love for my dog is even creepier. Also, one wonders why it doesn't bother him to see a childless young man doting on his dog? I suppose it's because a young man has plenty of time to knock up some sweet young thing even when he's much older. And besides, men aren't primarily breeding machines and thus are allowed to be human.

Laurence Butler writes:

I’m surprised Planned Parenthood does not provide puppies with each abortive procedure, to make sure the mother has no void for the loss of her child.

No dude. The good people of Planned Parenthood are far more considerate than, say, ZsuZsu, or anyone else who gives away living things as party favors.

Ugh. This makes me sad. :( I want puppies so badly, but unfortunately, I do not have the space for one.

Can anyone recommend a good apartment dog?

I haven't read through the whole thread, so someone may have already answered...but on Dogs 101 on Animal Planet, a French Bulldog was highly recommended for apartment dwellers.

My mom adores her grandkitties. They even know here by name - "Grammie."

My three cats also know their "Gammie" by name (don't know why we dropped the "r", just kinda happened) One loooooooves to get kittie kisses from her (only cat I've ever seen who will forcefully thrust the top of his head towards your face to be kissed)

The pet test said I should get a pug, who would have guessed that? :shock:

About the pet stroller and dog clothes... :oops: We have them. The stroller came about because I have a lab who could walk for miles and miles before being worn out and a pug can only walk about a mile before being throughly worn out. So I would have the stroller in case we needed to throw the pugs in there while their big sister continued her walkies. When they were rested enough, they would get back out to walk again. It also came in handy when my boy pug had to have hip surgery and being carried in and out of the vet's office hurt him to much. Our stroller looks like this one

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... cBEPMCMAU#

And most folks don't even know there are pugs in it, they just think it has a sleeping baby in there.

As for the clothes, well pugs have flat faces and don't have the snout to cool and heat up air. Without being able to do that they can get dangerously cold very fast and over heat 3 times faster that dogs with full snouts. So in the winter months mine will go outsdide to potty wearing coats as does our lab. If we take our pugs on winter walks then they have hoodies they wear and even our lab loves her hoody. Normally we don't dress them, just to keep them warm while outside in very cold weather. Their hoodies look like this one.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.c ... -jet-black

My cats and dogs are not replacement children as I have 5 sons and still 9 or more years from being an empty nester. I may spoil my pets but I wouldn't say my pets are more spoiled than my kids in any way. There are real reasons for my insanity and I guess non-Brachycephalic dog owners wouldn't get it. :whistle:

Perhaps in their world there are limited amounts of love to go around. Or more likely, they don't understand love at all.

I'm pretty sure you're right, on both counts. They are very free with their judgment of others, but extremely stingy when it comes to love for their fellow humans.

Pets are a wonderful addition to most any family. Dogs give affection unconditionally, and scientific studies show that just petting or stroking your cat or dog can relieve stress. Caring for a pet is a great way for a child to begin to learn responsibility for another living being. Many times when I was growing up, I'd have a bad day and go lean against our horse. He smelled good, and was a great listener. Or my sisters and I would get off the school bus and our dog would come running up with his tail wagging, so happy to see us. How could you not smile back at that greeting?

This lady is such a pill.

ETA: My son and I currently have two cats, one female (the alpha/diva) and one 2-year old male. Now that my son is hitting the teens and doesn't believe in hugging or kisses goodnight anymore ( :( ), thank goodness I can at least show affection to our kitties.

Dog is my co-pilot. But thanks, Laura, for reminding me that you are a bitch.

Lucy (to your left) loves her Mimi who sends her gifts every few months for holidays.

We have three kitties - all rescues. They are a part of our family. We had two cats when my daughter was born and I worried about how they would adjust when I brought my baby home from the hospital. They were fine and they gave us a good chance to teach our daughter from the beginning to be kind to animals.

EmmieJ -- So true! Doting on pets is good for blood pressure and stress relief and child rearing. In short, doing so makes people happy which means it must be bad!

My amazing dog Miss Phoebe knows her Grandma, she hears the word Grandma and her ears perk right up. My Mother will even say to her, "Grandma won't pet you until you sit" which she does promptly! Granted at almost 130lbs Miss Phoebe is almost as big as my tiny little Mother!

The something like a husband and I are not lacking in kids, he has three ages 22, 14 and 3, and a grandson! But my dog and his dog know us as Mama and Daddy!

M.

A boston terrier would make a great apartment dog, though you do have to watch out for some health issues with this breed.

Do you have a Boston terrier? :D

I wonder what she'd say about something I'm thinking about undertaking once the weather warms up. I have a cat that I'm sure is somehow at least half dog. He's huge (got him from the shelter but they thought he had some Bengal and Maine coon in him somewhere), very energetic, and always tries to run out the door when someone goes in or out. I plan on teaching him to wear a harness and taking him for walks. But obviously I'm just yearning for children... to put in a harness and take for walks...

To be honest, I don't get the whole "treating the dogs like children" phenomenon. I just don't feel the same way about dogs as I do about human beings. A friend of mine had a baby recently and I was happy that I got to see him for the first time the other day. I like reading my long-distance friends' Facebook posts about what their kids and grandkids are doing. But when a friend gets a new dog, I do not feel moved to buy it a gift or make any kind of fuss. My main thought is, I hope it doesn't bark and jump all over me the next time I go over there. I guess I'm just not a dog person. And no, I don't have one and I don't want one.

The pet test said I should get a pug, who would have guessed that? :shock:

About the pet stroller and dog clothes... :oops: We have them. The stroller came about because I have a lab who could walk for miles and miles before being worn out and a pug can only walk about a mile before being throughly worn out. So I would have the stroller in case we needed to throw the pugs in there while their big sister continued her walkies. When they were rested enough, they would get back out to walk again. It also came in handy when my boy pug had to have hip surgery and being carried in and out of the vet's office hurt him to much. Our stroller looks like this one

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... cBEPMCMAU#

And most folks don't even know there are pugs in it, they just think it has a sleeping baby in there.

As for the clothes, well pugs have flat faces and don't have the snout to cool and heat up air. Without being able to do that they can get dangerously cold very fast and over heat 3 times faster that dogs with full snouts. So in the winter months mine will go outsdide to potty wearing coats as does our lab. If we take our pugs on winter walks then they have hoodies they wear and even our lab loves her hoody. Normally we don't dress them, just to keep them warm while outside in very cold weather. Their hoodies look like this one.

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.c ... -jet-black

My cats and dogs are not replacement children as I have 5 sons and still 9 or more years from being an empty nester. I may spoil my pets but I wouldn't say my pets are more spoiled than my kids in any way. There are real reasons for my insanity and I guess non-Brachycephalic dog owners wouldn't get it. :whistle:

Who'd a thunk it (a pug?) :D

Ditto on the dog stroller comments. I know a couple of people who have a dog stroller because they adopted rescue dogs with hemi-vertebrae and cannot really walk any distance. The stroller lets them enjoy the outdoors.

And I have a Boston terrier, another brachycephalic breed, so she does have a winter coat for when it is extremely cold.

And kids and dogs (under the right circumstances, including the parents being responsible pet owners to start with) can be the most special thing. I think it is HUGE to teach kids kindness and compassion for those smaller and weaker than themselves, and a pet can fill this bill very well, again under the right circumstances.

Disclaimer: Not everyone should combine kids and dogs. It takes the right people and the right commitment/training of both kids and pets, and the right pet. Many many pets end up at the pound when the combination is not right.

ETA: Of course, please spay or neuter. :D

My main thought is, I hope it doesn't bark and jump all over me the next time I go over there.

Funny, substitute "drool" for "bark" and that's my same thought when my friends have kids.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/02/maternal-instincts-unleashed/#more-34911

You can add dog lovers to the list of whom Laura Wood and her commenters disapprove. The post starts off with a description of two older women pushing their dogs in baby strollers -- which, granted, is a bit over the top. But then the comments degenerate to a condemnation of women who lavish affection on a dog "more appropriate" to a human being, and people who have bumper stickers that say "I love my Granddog." (As to the latter -- omg -- how cute!!!) Naturally, her commenters speculate wildly and without basis that women who adore their dogs are just trying to fill a void left by their own childlessness.

Leave it to the Housewife and her commenters to turn up their noses at one of the most beautiful relationships in the entirety of the animal kingdom -- that between human and dog. I am not sure who they are to decide that my love for my dog is better reserved for a human being. Perhaps in their world there are limited amounts of love to go around. Or more likely, they don't understand love at all.

She's full of crap. Although we were only able to have one 1 child, I can tell you even if we had more I'd still have at least 2 dogs, cat, rabbit, bird, horse....and more if my hubby wouldn't threaten divorce me over it. (he wouldn't). My son is even now trying to help animals in danger or strays - glad he inherited that "defective" gene too...

Um...I have a dog and children and a husband and I still love my dog. My dog fills a void. He is the only one who will cuddle me when I'm being a horrible whiny sniffly bitch once a month. He's also the one who gets up in the morning and goes on walks with me. He's not a child, he's my doggy. I love him as much as a person can love a doggy.

To be honest, I don't get the whole "treating the dogs like children" phenomenon. I just don't feel the same way about dogs as I do about human beings. A friend of mine had a baby recently and I was happy that I got to see him for the first time the other day. I like reading my long-distance friends' Facebook posts about what their kids and grandkids are doing. But when a friend gets a new dog, I do not feel moved to buy it a gift or make any kind of fuss. My main thought is, I hope it doesn't bark and jump all over me the next time I go over there. I guess I'm just not a dog person. And no, I don't have one and I don't want one.

I feel the same way about children, which is why I never had any!! I enjoy the something like a husband's girls, but am glad when they go home to their respective Moms at the end of the weekend, but I simply could not be away from our dogs for a whole day!

Believe it or not, greyhounds make super apartment dogs, provided you have time for walks and a dog park that you can take them to so they can get some running in. They're incredibly chill most of the time, they love to snuggle, the ones I've known have not been barkers, and I'd rather live in an apartment with a great big one than a small terrier any day. (I love terriers, but holy cow. They're intense.)

I had a whippet, she was a great dog. I agree about terriers, high maintenance and never shut up.

I've never had a greyhound but my friend has one and she's lovely. She's very very soft and very mellow. She loves to snuggle and enjoys being around people. She is also very fun to take to the dog park and is very social. She used to be a racing dog so I don't know how that affects her personality but if I ever have enough room and time I would love to take in an old racing dog.

Archived