IGNORED

Unthinking Housewife versus dog lovers

Doomed Harlottt

To be honest, I don't get the whole "treating the dogs like children" phenomenon. I just don't feel the same way about dogs as I do about human beings. A friend of mine had a baby recently and I was happy that I got to see him for the first time the other day. I like reading my long-distance friends' Facebook posts about what their kids and grandkids are doing. But when a friend gets a new dog, I do not feel moved to buy it a gift or make any kind of fuss. My main thought is, I hope it doesn't bark and jump all over me the next time I go over there. I guess I'm just not a dog person. And no, I don't have one and I don't want one.

I feel the same way, FDD. I like animals fine, though, and certainly don't think anyone prefers animals to children is doing something wrong. I have been a responsible animal owner all of my life (cats, dogs, horses), but I don't superimpose human characteristics onto them. I don't care if others do, however, if it makes them happy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I judge people by how they treat pets. I think that how a person treats those that can't do anything for them is a pretty good indication of just what kind of person they are. So really here is just one more reason for me to hate the (un)thinking housewife.

I judge people by how they treat pets. I think that how a person treats those that can't do anything for them is a pretty good indication of just what kind of person they are. So really here is just one more reason for me to hate the (un)thinking housewife.

This.

I have a husband, two teenagers, two dogs and three cats. At this point in my life I like my dogs the best because 1) they don't talk back, 2) they don't borrow the car, 3) they don't care if they have the latest pair of cool jeans 4) they are ALWAYS happy to see you 5) they never bitch about their dinner 6) they don't whine that they are bored 7) they don't borrow your stuff and not return it and 8) they don't have hormones that are out of control.

My mom loved her 'I love my Granddog' magnet and couldn't have been happier over the summer when I adopted a second boy and already had the magnet for her stating 'I love my Granddogs.' If you were to hear my father gushing about my two boys, you would never know he was talking about dogs, they sound like the smartest toddlers ever to hear him tell it. My older dog even knows the cell phone ring for my father, he gets so excited whenever he hears it thinking his Pop-Pop is visiting, but he ignores all other rings. My boys are special to the whole family and I dare anyone to tell us that we are wrong in feeling that way.

It is a different love from children, of course, but there is something incredibly special about the love of a pet. On a bad day nothing beats coming home and having my sensitive boy come up to me to cuddle and give kisses. He doesn't ask questions, he doesn't need explanations, he doesn't make empty promises that it will all get better, he just wants to be there for me and see me happy again. Luckily his little brother is there with his goofy antics to bring out smiles. I love kids, couldn't love my nephews or niece more, but nor could I love my furry boys more. If Laura doesn't have the capacity to feel that, I pity her.

I had a whippet, she was a great dog. I agree about terriers, high maintenance and never shut up.

But, but BUT!!!

God loves a terrier

(Yes he does!)

God loves a terrier!

That's because

brown sturdy bright and true

they give their hearts to you

God didn't miss a stitch

be it dog or be it bitch

when he made the Norwich merrier

with his cute little 'derrier'

yes God loves a terrier!

I would like to report to FJ that my sister purchased a Christmas present for my brother's dog this past Christmas, and let me open it. I became tearful with glee and excitement to unwrap a doggy business tie.

(The dog also enjoyed it - he ate half of it on the second day.)

God loves a terrier

(Yes he does!)

God loves a terrier!

That's because

brown sturdy bright and true

they give their hearts to you

God didn't miss a stitch

be it dog or be it bitch

when he made the Norwich merrier

with his cute little 'derrier'

yes God loves a terrier!

Best in Show FTW!

yC8rZq3oKuI

Aww, I love my Jack Russell Terror.

I adore terriers, myself. Heck, I adore just about all dogs!

But I think that the mistake many people (and landlords, sadly) make is:

small dog = easy dog/dog for a small space

I would like to report to FJ that my sister purchased a Christmas present for my brother's dog this past Christmas, and let me open it. I became tearful with glee and excitement to unwrap a doggy business tie.

(The dog also enjoyed it - he ate half of it on the second day.)

My boys get presents for birthdays and Christmas, and they open them all on their own, which is ridiculously cute. Their big sister, may she rest in peace, had to have her gifts opened for her, but her little kitty paws just weren't up to the task. Plus she was my little contrarian and wasn't interested in doing anything anyone asked her to.

Friends from work have also given my boys presents, already wrapped, and requested pics of them opening their gifts. Of course, where I work, there is generally more interest in co-workers pets than kids.

I love gift giving to puppies. They'll play with toys for months longer than my nephews play with gifts I give them (assuming the dog's toys survive).

For the person thinking about getting a dog- most any breeds that are older dogs will be fine for an apartment. I have two dogs plus a foster right now, and while I have a yard, I can't leave anybody out there more than a few minutes AND they still have to be chained up behind the fence. My shepherd/husky was a handful until about 5 (don't recommend one unless someone is home a lot and has a bunch of patience), but my rottweiler/hound mix has been content to sleep most of the day since he was a year and change. I volunteer at the shelter and they have a LOT of older dogs, who frequently get overlooked even though they'd be better options for people who don't have the resources or lifestyle for raising a puppy.

The Unthinking Housewife must not comprehend that there are different reasons that a person may be pushing a dog in a stroller. The last of which is because "OMG, childless women are treating dogs like kids. clutch pearls"

Anyways, I have a dog stroller. Why? Because I have four dogs- two that have knee/leg problems which make long walks difficult and very painful. Then I have two terriers (terrors ;) ) that could walk to the end of the Earth and not be tired. So, we walk them until the two with bad legs wear out or let us know they are done and then they go in the stroller. My terriers keep on walking. The bad legged girls can walk about 1 mile before they wear out/need a rest. My terriers walk 4 miles on leash per night (you'd think I'd be skinny :lol: ) and then free play about 80 minutes per day. They are still full of energy! (For those wondering, I have a Westie and a Yorkie mix). My Westie is the main PITA though!

Also, 3 of my girls wear sweaters when it's cold out (not the Westie). Two of them are chihuahuas and one is a yorkie mix that we keep shaved. The sweaters keep them warm and comfortable for exercise and play during our mild winter.

I guess we kind of do treat our dogs like people but we really value life. I feel like we took on that responsibility when we adopted (2) and purchased (2) them. So, we provide all the essentials to them- food, medicines, treatment, clothing, and health insurance ( :lol: ) My dogs are treated better than fundie kids. To make Zsu happy, we also feed them an all organic, humanely raised diet.

I'd also suggest a greyhound for apartment living. No terriers (no matter how small). I detailed the exercise needs of my terriers above and both are less than 15 pounds.

I just want to chime in about strollers. I know I've said this before on FJ.

As others have posted, many people take a pet out in a stroller because they and/or another pet want a long walk, and/or some vigorous exercise when they get to a destination like a park, but have one or more pets who can't go as far.

By using a stroller, everyone can get exercise at a level that is appropriate for them, and some fresh air and socialization.

I would bet that, if The Stinking Fishwife knew about someone who never went for a walk because they had a dog who couldn't go very far, she would scorn them for being lazy and spoiling their animal, too.

I adore terriers, myself. Heck, I adore just about all dogs!

But I think that the mistake many people (and landlords, sadly) make is:

small dog = easy dog/dog for a small space

Terriers are great if you're a high energy person who wants a dog that can keep up with you. They're not great if you're a couch potato. If you're a couch potato you probably want one of these:

guard+dog.jpg

No feeding, grooming, playing needed. :lol:

Archived