IGNORED

Unthinking Housewife versus dog lovers

Doomed Harlottt

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... more-34911

You can add dog lovers to the list of whom Laura Wood and her commenters disapprove. The post starts off with a description of two older women pushing their dogs in baby strollers -- which, granted, is a bit over the top. But then the comments degenerate to a condemnation of women who lavish affection on a dog "more appropriate" to a human being, and people who have bumper stickers that say "I love my Granddog." (As to the latter -- omg -- how cute!!!) Naturally, her commenters speculate wildly and without basis that women who adore their dogs are just trying to fill a void left by their own childlessness.

Leave it to the Housewife and her commenters to turn up their noses at one of the most beautiful relationships in the entirety of the animal kingdom -- that between human and dog. I am not sure who they are to decide that my love for my dog is better reserved for a human being. Perhaps in their world there are limited amounts of love to go around. Or more likely, they don't understand love at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mom calls my dog her granddog, and dog loves her Grandma ;)

I just don't get how you can NOT adore and love your pets (and animals in general). I love my dog a ridiculous amount (and my cats too!) and they are treated like members of the family - which is how it should be. T I don't dress her up or anything - she wouldn't have that anyway lol -- but she is an inside dog who is up on the couch on a regular basis and would sleep in our bed if the 3 cats didn't always kick her off...

Guest Anonymous

I feel the urge to dance a little jig of happiness every time I find out I'm doing something that pisses Laura Wood (AKA Lawrence Auster) off. Extra dog cuddles for me today.

Oh, and my partner's mom fills stockings for our dogs every Christmas.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/02/maternal-instincts-unleashed/#more-34911

You can add dog lovers to the list of whom Laura Wood and her commenters disapprove. The post starts off with a description of two older women pushing their dogs in baby strollers -- which, granted, is a bit over the top. But then the comments degenerate to a condemnation of women who lavish affection on a dog "more appropriate" to a human being, and people who have bumper stickers that say "I love my Granddog." (As to the latter -- omg -- how cute!!!) Naturally, her commenters speculate wildly and without basis that women who adore their dogs are just trying to fill a void left by their own childlessness.

Leave it to the Housewife and her commenters to turn up their noses at one of the most beautiful relationships in the entirety of the animal kingdom -- that between human and dog. I am not sure who they are to decide that my love for my dog is better reserved for a human being. Perhaps in their world there are limited amounts of love to go around. Or more likely, they don't understand love at all.

I used to live in a town where an older lady dressed her dog in clothes, pushed it around in a stroller and from what I heard, put the dog in a high-chair to hand feed it...a bit nuts, but no one can say she abused the little dog. He was probably better fed and clothed than many children.

Ugh. This makes me sad. :( I want puppies so badly, but unfortunately, I do not have the space for one.

Can anyone recommend a good apartment dog?

Guest Anonymous
Ugh. This makes me sad. :( I want puppies so badly, but unfortunately, I do not have the space for one.

Believe it or not, greyhounds make super apartment dogs, provided you have time for walks and a dog park that you can take them to so they can get some running in. They're incredibly chill most of the time, they love to snuggle, the ones I've known have not been barkers, and I'd rather live in an apartment with a great big one than a small terrier any day. (I love terriers, but holy cow. They're intense.)

Right in character (though she's hardly the first to do the "you love animals because you have no children" crap).

I'm with you, DoomedHarlott -- people around me seem to have enough love for adults, children and animals in their lives.

My pets have been very dear to me. The relationship is unique, and there's no need to compare it to parenthood, marriage, or any other relationship with humans.

Honestly, almost any dog can make a good apartment dog. It is all about the time you have to exercise it/play with it. I have worked in animal rescue for years, and we never deny someone for lack of a yard or living in an apartment. We have a hyper crazy shepard mix in our 1100sf townhouse w/o a yard and she is happy as a clam. The only thing that stinks is having to leash her up to walk her outside every time she has to pee ;)

Take this quiz: http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selec ... reeds.html

Then look for dogs that are breeds you like (or mixes of those breeds) on http://www.petfinder.com

I have heard good things about Maltese living in small spaces.

My neighbors have a chihuahua and a husky, and neither seem like good apartment dogs. In fact, they are really lucky no one reports them to management. :?

Believe it or not, greyhounds make super apartment dogs, provided you have time for walks and a dog park that you can take them to so they can get some running in. They're incredibly chill most of the time, they love to snuggle, the ones I've known have not been barkers, and I'd rather live in an apartment with a great big one than a small terrier any day. (I love terriers, but holy cow. They're intense.)

Funny you should say that. I've always wanted to adopt a greyhound. I know whenever I talk to rescue people they try to convince me that my time and space isn't so limited that I shouldn't have one. My husband has his doubts though. He worries we're really not home enough.

I have heard good things about Maltese living in small spaces.

My neighbors have a chihuahua and a husky, and neither seem like good apartment dogs. In fact, they are really lucky no one reports them to management. :?

I hate people that don't adequetly exercise their dogs (or train them - whatever the case may be). In our old apt we had a neighbor with a beagle that did nothing but bark ALLLLLLLLLL day. I also never saw them do more than take the dog out to pee and then put it back in the house. It never got any exercise :( No wonder it barked all the time.

A boston terrier would make a great apartment dog, though you do have to watch out for some health issues with this breed.

Too bad the comments are closed. I would love to stop their small dried up hearts with a list of how the horses live at my barn: massages, chiro, acupuncture, monogramed personal items, blankets changed with weather change or time of day, blankets go to horse laundry, special supplements, dentist, on and on.

They need to read Temple Grandin's book Animals make us Human. When I think about all the wonderful therapy animals that bring love and change into peoples lives. How can they even know what is going on in another persons life to make assumptions about them? What sad mean women. Glad they are not my neighbors.

I second this. Living with an ex-racing greyhound can be like living with a tall, affectionate cat. Many are elegant, sweet, quiet, tuned in to people, and quite willing to nap for much of the day.

I know people with many greyhounds. When people question how they can deal with so much canine energy, I explain thus -- ignore the physical size; when it comes to energy and training work, 5-10 greyhounds = 1 Jack Russell terrier. :D

Raising one from puppyhood, however, is a whole other thing. Their adolescence is much like that of any other dog -- the calm usually kicks in sometime between age 2-3.

Just wanted to add, if you H is concerned about time, adopt an older dog (over 2 years old) so you won't have to worry about the time consuming puppy phase. Puppies are HARD and the fact they need to pee often means letting them out every 2 or 3 hours.

We did a puppy and worked full time, but it was hard. We had to send her to doggy day care and hire a dog walker.

Guest Anonymous

I second this. Living with an ex-racing greyhound can be like living with a tall, affectionate cat. Many are elegant, sweet, quiet, tuned in to people, and quite willing to nap for much of the day.

I know people with many greyhounds. When people question how they can deal with so much canine energy, I explain thus -- ignore the physical size; when it comes to energy and training work, 5-10 greyhounds = 1 Jack Russell terrier. :D

Raising one from puppyhood, however, is a whole other thing. Their adolescence is much like that of any other dog -- the calm usually kicks in sometime between age 2-3.

Absoultely agree - I didn't specify in my post but I was assuming adopting an adult. Any puppy is a handful regardless of breed! If you adopt a dog that has been living in a foster situation already you might have a few less issues as well. Racing greys are kept in kennels and when they are fresh off the track they are often scared and need some adjustment time. They will usually have to be taught things like how to climb stairs and even how to play with dog toys. But oh, they are such gorgeous cream puff love sponges.

I hate people that don't adequetly exercise their dogs (or train them - whatever the case may be). In our old apt we had a neighbor with a beagle that did nothing but bark ALLLLLLLLLL day. I also never saw them do more than take the dog out to pee and then put it back in the house. It never got any exercise :( No wonder it barked all the time.

Too many people get a pet without considering the pet's quality of life. That is what the Thinking Housewife would bitch about if she actually thought about anything.

In our building, we are allowed to have one inside pet under (I think?) 25 pounds and they are not allowed to be tethered. Owners are supposed to pick up excrement immediately. There is a reason for this; no one has a private yard, our back doors open into a common lawn area. Every morning, the owners of these dogs put them on a short leash (10-15 feet) in the common area and leave them. They clean up nothing. The dogs get free regularly and bark at/chase children, who the common area is really for imo. They are just very loud and neglected, and the husky tried to bite one of my children last summer.

I am equally annoyed with the neighbor on the other side, who has about eight thousand cats that crap all over my porch. I lost the neighbor lottery when it comes to pets obviously.

Honestly, almost any dog can make a good apartment dog. It is all about the time you have to exercise it/play with it. I have worked in animal rescue for years, and we never deny someone for lack of a yard or living in an apartment. We have a hyper crazy shepard mix in our 1100sf townhouse w/o a yard and she is happy as a clam. The only thing that stinks is having to leash her up to walk her outside every time she has to pee ;)

Take this quiz: http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selec ... reeds.html

Then look for dogs that are breeds you like (or mixes of those breeds) on http://www.petfinder.com

Ooh, thank you for the quiz! My issue is our schedules. When we had our chocolate lab, he lived in an apartment, too. However, he always had someone around to walk him or give him love if he needed it. Now that it's just my boyfriend and me, the puppy would be alone. I also might be going full time soon, so I'm afraid the puppy won't have the constant access to walks and attention.

Too many people get a pet without considering the pet's quality of life. That is what the Thinking Housewife would bitch about if she actually thought about anything.

In our building, we are allowed to have one inside pet under (I think?) 25 pounds and they are not allowed to be tethered. Owners are supposed to pick up excrement immediately. There is a reason for this; no one has a private yard, our back doors open into a common lawn area. Every morning, the owners of these dogs put them on a short leash (10-15 feet) in the common area and leave them. They clean up nothing. The dogs get free regularly and bark at/chase children, who the common area is really for imo. They are just very loud and neglected, and the husky tried to bite one of my children last summer.

I am equally annoyed with the neighbor on the other side, who has about eight thousand cats that crap all over my porch. I lost the neighbor lottery when it comes to pets obviously.

Dude, that would make me pissed on a daily basis. I cannot stand people some (a lot) times. We have 3 cats and a dog, and amazingly, have never pissed off a neighbor. In fact, our neighbor didn't even know we had a dog for a long time (and we share a wall!), plus our cats are inside only.

The bolded part. So much.

I would never, ever get an animal unless I could devote myself to taking care of its needs. That is why I don't have a dog right now - I can't properly train a puppy. That is why I don't have a bird - fluffballs at a young age need to bond with a human. I would love nothing more than to have a cuddly animal for companionship, but its needs must be met before anything else.

I'd definitely file a complaint against the owners who let their dogs roam loose. Take pictures and show them to the landlord.

The second thought I had was what their stance was on abortion and did they find children “too messy†or “too noisy�

I'm not certain how TH made this jump in logic. The two women could have many grandchildren, their children might have died in infancy or they might not want kids. TH has no way of knowing. Spoiling pets is not an indication of a person's political views

I don't like to be told that I am my dog's mother. However, I know many people who do refer to their dogs as children. That doesn't bother me in the least because it is none of my business.

Jill Farris

In today’s culture, Humane Societies are big business. To adopt a kitten from our local Humane Society costs 130.00 (if they have any). Some Humane Societies have enormous, brand-new facilities. These sick older people who treat their animals better than they do their grandchildren, also take great pride in talking about adopting “rescue†pets. They have done their good deed for society by saving an animal from death. Funny how every animal these days seems to be a “rescue†animal

Although I don't fault people who want purebred dogs, I am glad that more people are choosing to adopt pets from shelters. My dogs are adopted and my cat was a stray. There doesn't seem to be any reason for Jill Farris to put the word, rescue in quotes unless she doubts that the dogs were rescued from shelters.

Just wanted to add, if you H is concerned about time, adopt an older dog (over 2 years old) so you won't have to worry about the time consuming puppy phase. Puppies are HARD and the fact they need to pee often means letting them out every 2 or 3 hours.

We did a puppy and worked full time, but it was hard. We had to send her to doggy day care and hire a dog walker.

I'd love an older dog. The only thing I would be worried about is how he would settle in with a small animal in the home. Thank you for the suggestion!

My mom adores her grandkitties. They even know here by name - "Grammie." When she comes over, one of the cats will run to the door and bug her until she sits down so he can sit on her lap. The only other person he does this to is my hubby. The little cat will eat out of Grammie's hand, which is something she will only otherwise do with me and hubby.

I can sympathise with people with troublesome pet owning neighbours. I have neighbours with ridiculous amounts of cats or very aggressive/overaffectionate dogs. I am fond of animals but do not enjoy being pestered by untrained ones and getting a sour look if I don't instantly coo over the Alsatian with its paws on my shoulders.

Archived