IGNORED

Pictures! Of Absurdity! - Staddon Wedding

demgirl

My pet peeve is here - lots of non-fundies are guilty of it, but I consistently am bothered by seeing it at the blogs we snark on - Too long trousers on the men! What is it with these guys? They think that their inseam is 4" longer than it is! The pants don't just break above the ankle, they wrinkle all the way up the leg and are saggy in the hips.

The groom's tux is hideous. That type of vest is never worn with tails, and it definitely should be a bow tie. The vest is so large it sticks out from his belly and causes a huge shadow. But, all of these points of bad fit and the ones I haven't mentioned are not due to them being fundies so much as a bad choice of formal wear rental place.

I agree that the dress is nice in separate parts, but together it doesn't quite make sense. I like the upper half the best. She's definitely showing us her crinoline in one of those shots - a bit defrauding.

I think if she had just curled the hair a bit more she might have gotten away with the sloppy mop. I can't believe she had no close girl friends to fellowship with and do her hair!

The teal blue color is just too electric. Apologies to any FJers who chose that as a wedding scheme - it's the opposite of the modesty a fundie is supposed to want!

My pet peeve is here - lots of non-fundies are guilty of it, but I consistently am bothered by seeing it at the blogs we snark on - Too long trousers on the men! What is it with these guys? They think that their inseam is 4" longer than it is! The pants don't just break above the ankle, they wrinkle all the way up the leg and are saggy in the hips.

The groom's tux is hideous. That type of vest is never worn with tails, and it definitely should be a bow tie. The vest is so large it sticks out from his belly and causes a huge shadow. But, all of these points of bad fit and the ones I haven't mentioned are not due to them being fundies so much as a bad choice of formal wear rental place.

I agree that the dress is nice in separate parts, but together it doesn't quite make sense. I like the upper half the best. She's definitely showing us her crinoline in one of those shots - a bit defrauding.

I think if she had just curled the hair a bit more she might have gotten away with the sloppy mop. I can't believe she had no close girl friends to fellowship with and do her hair!

The teal blue color is just too electric. Apologies to any FJers who chose that as a wedding scheme - it's the opposite of the modesty a fundie is supposed to want!

This is the formal groom attire in Europe:

Morning suit 'the classic'

http://www.moss.co.uk/pws/hire/weddings ... suits.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_dress

Who are these folk that they rate the presence of not just Goatherd but Elisabeth Eliot herself? TIA.

Ahh, so that was Capt. Bob in pic 25, I wasn't sure. I wonder if he gave this happy couple a sheepskin of fun too!

ETA: Ack, never mind I riffled. This was the wedding from last month, I didn't reconize the couple till I saw the wedding pics. However, I wonder if they have used the sheepskin of fun yet.

I'm planning our wedding for this summer and now I'm going to have to put a note on the invites - "all guests wearing teal will be asked to leave"!

I thought the dress was hideous personally. Like the worst of the 70's, 80's and 90's all thrown into one over down package. And where are the photos of the girls??

I'm planning our wedding for this summer and now I'm going to have to put a note on the invites - "all guests wearing teal will be asked to leave"!

I thought the dress was hideous personally. Like the worst of the 70's, 80's and 90's all thrown into one over down package. And where are the photos of the girls??

If I remember correctly, the dress was he mom's which is why it looks old fashion. I've seen better, I've seen worse. The shirts and ties of the groomsmen tough, ick.

Guest Anonymous

Back with more former "Bridal Shop Owner" snark. I love vintage, love girls who wear a family dress and have lost myself sales encouraging brides to go for a restyle and alterations rather than buy something that looks just like everything else. But, we had an amazing seamstress on tap. She routinely changed long sleeves to short sleeves, changed necklines, expanded and shrank gowns, walked on water and made everyone look amazing. The dress would have been much prettier is the bodice had fit properly - in one of the photos it clearly looks quite bunchy. We dealt with some modest brides and I can promise you every single one of them left with a flattering, properly fitted gown. (BTW, I made no profit on alterations and if a bride balked at her prices I would point out just how long Mrs. N. would spend on the work.)

Also, even I (who can only sew at the doofus level by comparison), could have put a good bustle on that gown so that the bride didn't have to carry her train - those train loops are really just for hanging gowns before pressing.

When the bride was in for a long, humid day with lots of hugs, I always encouraged her to consider a hairstyle's "staying power".

Man, that wasn't half as bad as I was expecting. I have to wonder what that says about my family and my peers. ;) But seriously, not knowing all the players in those nuptials, it looks like most of the weddings I have been to except less skin was showing on the bride.

I liked the bright blue bridesmaid dresses.

This is the formal groom attire in Europe:

Morning suit 'the classic'

http://www.moss.co.uk/pws/hire/weddings ... suits.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_dress

That's exactly what I'm talking about latraviata! The morning coat front is cut-away in a smooth arc at the center front and worn with a longer vest. It was originally reserved for wear at formal occasions taking place before noon. It is also worn in the US, usually with gray on gray striped pants and an ascot.

The groom Robert is wearing a tail coat, like the ones pictured at the bottom of your link. It is properly worn with a shorter vest, (usually tight-fitting and backless,) a wing-tip shirt and bow tie. Really fancy folks dispense with the vest and wear a cummerbund.

I'm a costume historian with WAY too much useless information about it. And no, I don't expect the fundies to know it but I do expect the tux rental place to do hems.

That's the Sheepskin o' Fun!

Well, it certainly can't be the fleece from Jason and the Argonauts since that shameful humanistic story ends really badly for the husband who married a wife who would not submit.

Poor Kendalyn's hair... Maybe it looked pretty in the beginning...? My worry is that her "fellowship" of girls just didn't think looks were of enough importance to help her out.

I thought the dress looked pretty, but also sort of nightgownish. Robert's ensemble, aside from being poorly fit and matched, was majorly wrinkled. Though his teeth somewhat redeem him. How did he manage to get the whitest teeth of all the family?

I feel sorry for Donald. He looks like he's almost forty! Despite being knocked around a bit with the ugly stick, he does seem to be a nice guy from his blog posts that I've read. I hope he can find a lady soon.

Ah, I'm so glad I get to relive the most fundie wedding ever.

They seem very name-droppy. Gothard speaking at the end when the couple aren't even there + making sure they got a picture with EE...it seems if you just ran in high circles because that's where you belonged, you would be a little more low key about those people being there. Instead it's very clear that they get their status from these people, and are not their peers at all. I wouldn't want people to revere me all the time so I could have some good, normal conversations, but I bet Gothard, at least, is thrilled to be treated this way.

Their pictures look really nice though. I'm impressed by the action shot with all the petals thrown in the air.

There's not a lot to complain about in the photos--they do look happy. I watched the wedding though, and I remain horrified by the vows, the fathers' sermons, and Gothard's entire sermon at the end.

Whoa, there are more pictures of the groom than the bride. It looks like a lot more. Who does that?

A family that believes that the husband is God's right hand man... that's who does that!

Didn't look that bad. A couple things that crossed my mind though:

- that first kiss! their first kiss? doubt it. looks like they've been practicing for a while now. :evil:

- WAY too many pics of the boys

- several guests & a flower girl in sleeveless attire. ok...come out of the woods now. a few fj'ers crashed the wedding?

- they do look happy

- wedding dress was nice, but the bridesmaids dresses...meh.

There's not a lot to complain about in the photos--they do look happy. I watched the wedding though, and I remain horrified by the vows, the fathers' sermons, and Gothard's entire sermon at the end.

You watched the wedding? Great! I started but after a few minutes I realized that I would spent my life watching the wedding of a couple that I don't know instead of studying and I turned it off. Could you sum-up the highlights of the sermons for me/us? That would be really nice!

That's exactly what I'm talking about latraviata! The morning coat front is cut-away in a smooth arc at the center front and worn with a longer vest. It was originally reserved for wear at formal occasions taking place before noon. It is also worn in the US, usually with gray on gray striped pants and an ascot.

The groom Robert is wearing a tail coat, like the ones pictured at the bottom of your link. It is properly worn with a shorter vest, (usually tight-fitting and backless,) a wing-tip shirt and bow tie. Really fancy folks dispense with the vest and wear a cummerbund.

I'm a costume historian with WAY too much useless information about it. And no, I don't expect the fundies to know it but I do expect the tux rental place to do hems.

You are right and how fascinating, being a costume historian! The trousers are way too long and what about the awful shoes?

In the Netherlands the coat is black, the trousers are grey striped, the tie, waist coat and top head are (light) grey for a wedding and other formal, festive occasions and black for a funeral.

Until the seventies, the morning suit was a part of the university students wardrobe, because the bachelor and masters exams/the ceremony required a morning suit for men. It also was/is worn to baptisms and even the civil registration of the baby, funerals and of course weddings. My father wore a morning suit when he asked for my mothers hand, this was of course 69 years ago

In Europe a smoking/tuxido is for evenings, diner, (coctail party), and tails or dress suit are specifically meant for gala occasions, ball, the opera etc.

They do look happy and actually are LEGAL age to marry unlike some of the babies we have seen lately(uhem, 17 year old head of household anyone?)

The Blue- cheap and tacky.

The Vest, The Tails and Too Long Pants- Wal-Mart Tux Rental? (all your Klassy needs for the low ,low price of $5)

The Boys- WAY too many pics. What is up with the fundies and sunglasses trying to pose like James Bond or lift each other in the air? CHEEZINESS GALORE!

As for tuxes, I got married in 1992 and chose the white jacket/black pants style tux for my husband. The pics still hold up today.(except for his giant ass glasses which I wish he would have taken off for a few pics.)

I like the dress too, but it has an 80's vibe... maybe it was her mother's? (nothing wrong with that if it fits)

Archived