IGNORED

Revenge for Posthumous Mormon Baptisms?

tropaka

I saw that. Colbert and Stewart do a lot of brillant work, I think. There are so many issues that they bring to light. The existence of superpacs was a not a concern for me until their shows.

Colbert has a good voice, by the way.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Stephen Colbert (more than Jon Stewart, I think, though I save some love for him too). When he circumsized that hotdog last night, I laughed so loud I woke my very angry cat. And the Wheat Thins bit was hilarious too.

Oh fantastic.

Elie Wiesel is looking really good for 83. When I was a kid, he used to give talks near our synagogue, so I was able to hear him speak before I was old enough to appreciate it.

Who was the large black dude, and what did he say? Neither DH nor I got it, and we suspect it's because we've been away from the US too long and don't get all the jokes anymore.

edited to remove disbelief at EW's advanced age.

That Wheat Thins bit was so hilarious

Let me reiterate; I cannot say this too many times that this is an actual memo from Wheat Thins that I received. And I just wanted to make sure you understood that before I informed you that (from the memo) 'Wheat Thins are not a crusader or rebel looking to change an individual's path (or the world).'

After talking about it, I had to go rewatch it on Hulu and I laughed even more. Now my co-workers think I'm weird (or weirder than they already suspected).

"You think you know Wheat Thins? F*ck you. F*ck you and the cracker you rode in on". :lol:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/332893/the-co ... nsortunity

The link in case anyone missed it. I'm not sure how to embed it.

I saw that. Colbert and Stewart do a lot of brillant work, I think. There are so many issues that they bring to light. The existence of superpacs was a not a concern for me until their shows.

Colbert has a good voice, by the way.

I agree about them bringing things to light. I knew of SuperPACS and Citizens United, but I didn't really understand. The way Colbert started his SuperPAC and the various things he did with it have made it so simple to understand what would normally be a complex issue.

Oh fantastic.

Elie Wiesel is looking really good for 83. When I was a kid, he used to give talks near our synagogue, so I was able to hear him speak before I was old enough to appreciate it.

Who was the large black dude, and what did he say? Neither DH nor I got it, and we suspect it's because we've been away from the US too long and don't get all the jokes anymore.

edited to remove disbelief at EW's advanced age.

He's from a horrific waste of celluloid called "hot tub time machine". I think Colbert was saying Baptismal font+ poshumous baptism= hot tub+ time machine.

Sorry folks -- I posted erroneous information earlier. According to this article http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... olocaust/1

The LDS Church website also says,

...Some have misunderstood that when baptisms for the dead are performed the names of deceased persons are being added to the membership records of the Church. This is not the case.

I don't remember where I read it before (lesson: always post sources), but it's been cleaned up from any of the articles on my usual sites.

Thanks to the former LDS members here who corrected it early on.

Wanted to point out that John the Baptist got the idea from the mikvah which was already in use. So Christians and Mormons (yes, i know Mormons are Christians) are sort of doing the Jewish thing there.

Wanted to point out that John the Baptist got the idea from the mikvah which was already in use. So Christians and Mormons (yes, i know Mormons are Christians) are sort of doing the Jewish thing there.

Yeah, baptism came from mikvah, and the Jordan River happens to be a river that qualifies as a mikvah in most parts. John the Baptist was most likely a Nazirite Jew.

In a spin off on Colbert's conversion of Mormons to Judaism discussed here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8002&p=212916&hilit=all+dead+mormons+are+gay#p212916

There is now a site where you can pick your favorite dead mormon and make them gay. This is rumored to be in response to the posthumous conversion of Daniel Pearl (a jew).

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/03/ ... .html.html

While I love a good dig, I'm not so sure I have a problem with posthumous conversions. It means nothing to the person who's dead and generally isnt found out by the general public, but makes others feel better. And hey, who knows, maybe they're right! I'm a jew but if someone wants to waive shit over my name after I'm dead just in case... I'm not so sure I have a problem with that...

But, anyway... Go ahead and make your favorite mormon gay!

http://www.alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

Cremated (also not cool, Jewish burial is clearly defined).

Can I ask a question? I hope it's not offensive, please let me know if it is so that I can edit my post.

Amy Winehouse was cremated and I remember thinking at the time that I'd heard it went against Jewish burial laws. What do Jews believe if someone chooses to be cremated?

I get what you're saying, totally. (Also the last part was really funny.) Still, I can't blame the Mormons for this, because I think it is just evidence that they sincerely believe in their doctrine and care about these people they are baptizing. In this sense, it would almost be an indictment of them if they DIDN'T do it. That would reveal either that they didn't really believe in their faith or didn't really care about people who weren't Mormons in their lifetime.

If they want Anne Frank to go to the highest level of their heaven, that's okay with me. What confounds me is that they think it is up to them to make that happen, as though God couldn't put her there if he wanted to.

The thing that I don't understand is that Mormon life is filled with doing good deeds so that they get into heaven. Why bother spending your life doing that stuff if someone can baptize you after you're dead and you get into heaven anyway?

Can I ask a question? I hope it's not offensive, please let me know if it is so that I can edit my post.

Amy Winehouse was cremated and I remember thinking at the time that I'd heard it went against Jewish burial laws. What do Jews believe if someone chooses to be cremated?

Well, Jews are like anybody else -- there are almost as many opinions as there are people! But, in Orthodox and Conservative tradition, burial is generally expected. From what I've heard, the Reformed community varies, and I don't know about other Jewish groups.

I would like to be cremated, but I haven't been an observant Jew in a long time.

Archived