IGNORED

Revenge for Posthumous Mormon Baptisms?

tropaka

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Romney becomes the nominee, I hope the media will make a huge issue about this. It is so distrubing that Mormons do this.

I agree, it's something that I find to be disturbing, and which is why when I was sucked into that organization by my ex-husband, I still refused to hand over my family's genealogical records that my very Catholic grandma worked years on.

Does it really matter? Is there another issue I am missing, besides the sheer hubris?

I am sure I, as well as many of my relatives, have been or will be unknowingly baptized Mormon. But I don't believe in their particular breed of mishegas, so I don't think it actually makes us Mormon.

Guest Anonymous

Dead-dunking people into a religion they didn't choose to belong to is extremely disrespectful and whacked out. It's a whole 'nother level of wrong when the deceased involved were Jews who died because of their Jewishness. Stop all of that crap, Mormons, it's not okay.

So I do kind of get the motivation of the website, but I don't much care for it. First off, some of those dead Mormons were undoubtedly already LGBTQ. Second off, it's assuming that "turning someone gay" is a shameful thing to do to them. I'm having a hard time expressing myself on this one, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Several times in the past the Mormons have promised to stop baptizing Jews and yet they never do. I doubt they ever will stop.

Does it really matter? Is there another issue I am missing, besides the sheer hubris?

I am sure I, as well as many of my relatives, have been or will be unknowingly baptized Mormon. But I don't believe in their particular breed of mishegas, so I don't think it actually makes us Mormon.

Not sure this is true, but I read somewhere that if the Mormon church baptizes someone posthumously, their religion is then listed as Mormon in the church's genealogical records.

If it's actually true, I could see where that would make it an issue. Since the LDS church is at the forefront of genealogical research and organization, many non-LDS folks use their databases to research their own families.

Not sure this is true, but I read somewhere that if the Mormon church baptizes someone posthumously, their religion is then listed as Mormon in the church's genealogical records.

If it's actually true, I could see where that would make it an issue. Since the LDS church is at the forefront of genealogical research and organization, many non-LDS folks use their databases to research their own families.

I could see this being an issue if someone is invoking the right of return and going to israel! that would be a nightmare. you're jewish? according to lds records, you're mormon!

Baptizing people without their permission is just all sorts of fucked up.

I could see this being an issue if someone is invoking the right of return and going to israel! that would be a nightmare. you're jewish? according to lds records, you're mormon!

Thankfully, Israel's Law of Return looks at Jewish ancestry or conversion status as determined by a rabbinical court. How people self-identify (as Jewish or not-Jewish) doesn't matter, and I imagine that how Mormons identify them would matter even less.

*actually, I looked up the text of the Ancestry Amendment, and, oddly enough, you aren't automatically eligible for citizenship if you "have been a Jew and have changed your religion." So I guess this Mormon shit could present a problem, but likely a minor one because everyone knows that Mormons do this.

I think it's a bunch of crazy nonsense, but they don't which is why I find this so disturbing. I've used LDS records for genealogical research....as for the homosexual conversion site I think it's a double bash at their machinations against gay marriage etc but there is something off about it too...

I think it's a bunch of crazy nonsense, but they don't which is why I find this so disturbing. I've used LDS records for genealogical research....as for the homosexual conversion site I think it's a double bash at their machinations against gay marriage etc but there is something off about it too...

No shit; it's a parody.

How do they know if the dead person has accepted the baptism? And how exactly do they baptise them?

It's done in the temple using "stand-ins". The person baptising you says your name and then "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, I baptise you for and in behalf of (name), who is dead." They usually do 10-15 baptisms per person so you're in there a long time (and you go in groups so they might do 10-20 people, 10-15 dunks each so it takes a long time). The baptismal area is HUGE with high ceilings and tile so it's FREEZING in there. You're in there for about 10 minutes in a white jumpsuit that goes down to your mid-calf so when you get out it's stuck to you. They give you warm towels when you get out of the font but it's FUH-REEEEZING!!!

Funny story...I went once with a friend and the person who was being baptised was named (something) F. Hart. It kept coming out like "Fart" and my friend, who was doing the baptisms, kept laughing and had to start over several times. The people holding up the name card were NOT amused. ;)

One thing I saw was a guy who was worried that his parents, as victims, would one day go down in history as Mormon victims of the Holocaust and not Jewish ones. Which could be very problematic in future generations understanding of the Holocaust.

Also, I personally think the whole thing is pretty much spitting on the ashes of those who were murdered.

It's done in the temple using "stand-ins". The person baptising you says your name and then "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, I baptise you for and in behalf of (name), who is dead." They usually do 10-15 baptisms per person so you're in there a long time (and you go in groups so they might do 10-20 people, 10-15 dunks each so it takes a long time). The baptismal area is HUGE with high ceilings and tile so it's FREEZING in there. You're in there for about 10 minutes in a white jumpsuit that goes down to your mid-calf so when you get out it's stuck to you. They give you warm towels when you get out of the font but it's FUH-REEEEZING!!!

Funny story...I went once with a friend and the person who was being baptised was named (something) F. Hart. It kept coming out like "Fart" and my friend, who was doing the baptisms, kept laughing and had to start over several times. The people holding up the name card were NOT amused. ;)

So they assume everyone who's been baptised after they've died accepts because they use a living Mormon who can somehow channel their thoughts? Wtf?

I find that very disrespectful.

I go back and forth on whether this bothers me. On the one hand, I think the mormon religion is a bunch of hooey so it's not like their little baptisms actually DO anything at all. And even if the Mormons religion is true, my understanding is they believe that the baptism just offers the dead person the opportunity to accept (the dead person can say no). For that reason, I'm suspicious about whether Mormons really list people as "mormons" if they have been baptized after death. Even if they ARE listed that way, anybody looking at those records should think to themselves "hey, these records are maintained by the Mormon Church, maybe I'll take it with a grain of salt that they list the entire world as Mormon!"

On the other hand, I get the disrespect issue. I have many, many relatives who died in the camps and the idea of somebody trying to "baptize" them is just kind of gross to me.

So they assume everyone who's been baptised after they've died accepts because they use a living Mormon who can somehow channel their thoughts? Wtf?

I find that very disrespectful.

According to mormonism, if you die and are not baptised then your soul waits in a spirit prison until someone on Earth is baptised for you. Then you can accept that baptism.

On a side note: I realized one day while sitting there watching my friends be dead-dunked, that once you come out of the baptismal font that the white jumpsuit is see-through. I faked my period from that time on so I wouldn't have to go in the water instead I'd only do confirmations. That is when I was worthy for a temple recommend. I'd have sexual thoughts about guys every now and then so I wouldn't be worthy to go. :roll:

On a side note: I realized one day while sitting there watching my friends be dead-dunked, that once you come out of the baptismal font that the white jumpsuit is see-through. I faked my period from that time on so I wouldn't have to go in the water instead I'd only do confirmations. That is when I was worthy for a temple recommend. I'd have sexual thoughts about guys every now and then so I wouldn't be worthy to go. :roll:

I just answered yes on everything because if I was really honest about not having a testimony, I wouldn't get one and you know the rumours that fly around... I must have been sleeping around (with whom? I didn't date till I was almost 20) or something! :roll:

Archived