IGNORED

Hypocrisy, internet poll-fixing, and the Creation Museum

Conuly

This website, budget travel, is running a contest to help pick* the "Top 15 places every kid should see before 15!" for an upcoming article.

http://www.budgettravel.com/contest/nom ... ore-15,10/

Well, first the guys at the Creation Museum told all their little facebook buddies to spam the Creation Museum entry so it'd win. Then some sane, rational people mounted a counter-attack... which, among other things, caused the Creation Museum to throw a little hissy fit that their own tactics were being used against them, as described here: patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/02/17/we-made-ken-ham-angry/ (The most recent comment there lists the top 20 or so entries, incidentally, which is basically "any entry with more than 1000 votes".)

They're currently hovering around 3rd place. I know it's just a silly internet thing with no bearing on the real world, but I cannot stand to see cheaters and hypocrites win. It just bugs me.

The rules are that you can vote for as many entries as you like every 24 hours, and the votes go through to the 28th, so for one more week. Also, you can continue nominating new locations (I nominated the Bronx Zoo), though at this point it's a bit moot. At the end, odds are that Budget Travel will totally disregard all votes, and they already have a little disclaimer paragraph to that effect. But whatever, it's the principle that counts.

Resist the urge to make silly parody entries. They get deleted, but there's some evidence that the votes MAY get folded into the entry they're based off of if it looks like a simple mistake or misspelling.

Don't ask me. I guess because it's 15 entries and they like their numbers to match? Or because they assume that between the ages of 16 and 18 you don't want anything to do with "kid stuff"?

It's obnoxious, but everyone does it with these kinds of things. Hopefully they won't actually include the Creation Museum in the final list.

I live only a few minutes away from it. Does it count if my kid sees the outside while we drive by, remarking on the crazies in the parking lot? :whistle:

I live only a few minutes away from it. Does it count if my kid sees the outside while we drive by, remarking on the crazies in the parking lot? :whistle:

Did you drive by when the Secular Student Alliance was visiting?

LOL, I have no idea, we got lost - took a wrong turn - and I happened to see some VERY modestly dressed people.

The Creation Museum holds some sort of conference type thing on occasion, near the town where I live and I do not see fundies at those. I have no idea what they are about.

Archived