IGNORED

Fundies and blood donation?

Little Miss Alien

I had a quick search and nothing came up specifically on this issue, apart from some old offshoot conversations in other topics. So sorry if this has been done to death before.

I've just had transplant surgery 3 weeks ago, and part of my recovery has involved watching Duggar reruns. Except in the UK the episodes I'm watching are the first season of '19 kids' and those are the most recent shown (save the World Tour, which, for some reason, they've decided to show before the second 19 kids season?! Weird.)

So, I'm watching the episode where JB thinks it'll be great fun to spring a surprise blood donation session on the girls. Whilst they're waiting, he specifically says, "If this weren't for Josie, I wouldn't be doing this."

First up, what a major ASSHOLE! I know it's different in the US, and family can donate blood *before* turning to the blood bank (whereas, in the UK, you generally will try and get blood from the hospital's store first, and if they're low/out, *then* they might ask family to step up, but they rarely do this as there are strict processes the blood goes through and this takes a considerable amount of time), but what if something were to happen to one of them and not enough older Duggars were a compatible match/able to donate for whatever reason? They'd be reliant on the blood of the ebil heathens to save them, no?

I am assuming, as it was allowed for Josie, that it is allowed for all Duggars to receive blood if needed, and not (as in the case of Jehova's Witnesses) against their belief system?

And where does that leave fundies in general on organ donation? Is it allowed? Do they have to get special dispensation from Goatherd?

As a two-time blood recipient and an organ recipient I actially said "Fuck you" to the tv when JB said that. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for benevolent people donating. Because of this, I am unable to donate blood or organs ever. under current UK regulations. Sadly, due to medications and health problems, no one in my immediate family can donate blood either. So it's an even bigger smack in the face, when someone says, publically, that they would only donate under strict conditions. I now it's not for everyone, but saying it on international tv and thinking it are two different things.

Am I completely out of line here? Too sensitive because of my situation? It was one of the first times I've actually thought JB was a huge prick, rather than an ignorant yokel. Feel free to tear me a new one if it's needed! ;)

Jim Bob is "pro-life" which means he only cares about fetuses and not about helping living people. It pissed me off too, because I donate blood regularly and pro-lifers have the audacity to suggest that they care more about life than I do. I've saved more lives than and anti-abortion activist ever have. If they truly cared about life as much as they claim they do, they would be lining up to donate every 8 weeks like clockwork. I'm sure they're allowed to donate and receive blood, but being the selfish people that they are, they can't be bothered to do it unless it's for a publicity stunt. I also hate the idea of forcing his daughters to donate blood, but I've already gathered that he's not big on the ideas of choice and consent. I have a needle phobia so I have to donate on my own terms, and I've managed to handle it pretty well. But it's a jerk move to just surprise someone with it like that. My only hope is that because of their influence, donating blood on screen encouraged some other people to donate and they saved some lives even if it was just PR.

I hated the crap JB pulled with the blood donation, but I actually didn't think about his "If this weren't for Josie, I wouldn't be doing this" line at the time.

I was mostly extremely pissed at his springing the blood donation on his daughters. I try very, very hard to donate blood. I've attempted it 9 times and only been successful once. I also have to prep a full week ahead of time to even have a shot at it. If someone just arbitrarily signed me up to do it at the last minute, especially someone I couldn't easily go tell to fuck themselves, I'd be livid.

However, to be completely honest, I think JB is even more of a giant asshole than we suspect. I actually don't believe him when he says they did it because of Josie. I think they did it because it would make an (barely) interesting episode. If Josie had been born to them before the show, I don't think they would have donated blood. They did it for the cameras.

ETA: I wish you a speedy recovery as well!

Guest Anonymous

Obviously can't speak for all fundies...but...the fundie-lites in my family do donate blood. They were waiting in line with me after the 4/27 tornadoes, and they have participated in community blood drives.

Jim Bob is "pro-life" which means he only cares about fetuses and not about helping living people. It pissed me off too, because I donate blood regularly and pro-lifers have the audacity to suggest that they care more about life than I do. I've saved more lives than and anti-abortion activist ever have. If they truly cared about life as much as they claim they do, they would be lining up to donate every 8 weeks like clockwork. I'm sure they're allowed to donate and receive blood, but being the selfish people that they are, they can't be bothered to do it unless it's for a publicity stunt. I also hate the idea of forcing his daughters to donate blood, but I've already gathered that he's not big on the ideas of choice and consent. I have a needle phobia so I have to donate on my own terms, and I've managed to handle it pretty well. But it's a jerk move to just surprise someone with it like that. My only hope is that because of their influence, donating blood on screen encouraged some other people to donate and they saved some lives even if it was just PR.

Well said! I donate blood regularly, and I'm going to do so again when I'm eligible as I recently donated. I do it because it's one of my charitable things, only I get to save lives by doing so. One other benefit is that wearing a blood drive t-shirt is a great way to get rid of the JW's, as once I wore that shirt to answer the door, they quit showing up.

I agree with you, Valsa- I do think that Jim Bob sprung that on the girls, and they of course they were unable to say no to him. I've donated quite a few times over the past 30 years, but it's never been an easy process- often I wind up with a big bruise afterward, and it usually takes a good 90 minutes from start to finish. Like any volunteer service, it should be voluntary, and this felt like he forced them to do it against their will. I started donating because I have O negative blood and wanted to help other people who needed it. My area was experiencing a shortage my senior year of high school so my school organized a drive and I donated with a bunch of my friends. A couple didn't meet the weight requirement (I think it's 110 lbs...didn't Jessa almost fall under it?) and one did pass out before she was finished and they had to stop the donation. Jim Bob was an ass the way he handled that.

Well said! I donate blood regularly, and I'm going to do so again when I'm eligible as I recently donated. I do it because it's one of my charitable things, only I get to save lives by doing so. One other benefit is that wearing a blood drive t-shirt is a great way to get rid of the JW's, as once I wore that shirt to answer the door, they quit showing up.

Good idea! If I had thought of that I would've accepted the t-shirt I was offered when I donated last week.

I saw that show, and what I got out of that "If it weren't for Josie..." comment was that he had never realized the importance of blood donation until he was facing a child's death in the hospital. It didn't mean that the blood the Duggars were donating was earmarked for Josie. My dad didn't start donating until multiple transfusions saved my life, but after that he was religious about it.

No fan of JBs at all, and I couldn't stand how those girls were compelled to give, but I do think they understood the blood would go to non Duggars.

You guys get T-shirts? I'm so bummed (I want those damn pins they give you (do they still give away pins?) when you reach each gallon)

Don't know about pins, but in my area they give out t-shirts, free ice cream, around thanksgiving they give 5-10 Ib turkeys, free Chick-fil-a sandwichs, and other small things after you donate.

I hate needles but I rationalize giving blood as I am helping save others. I can't look at the needle and always have it covered up. I try and go every 8 weeks but most of the time it is every 10-11 to get my iron up enough to donate.

What Jim Bob did was sick. Forcing the girls (since they couldn't say no without getting to trouble most likely) to give blood is horrible. They might have on their own wanted to donate but telling them at the last minute is not okay.

I would love to give blood.. but I'm a fag and we all know fags carry AIDS.

Sorry a bit bitter. A friend needed a bone marrow transplant and I wasn't even allowed to be tested to see if I was a match because I might "have HIV/AIDS"... which is shit and we all know it.

Either way, I think JB is an idiot who did it for the camera and to look cool. He doesn't give a shit about anyone.

Sorry a bit bitter. A friend needed a bone marrow transplant and I wasn't even allowed to be tested to see if I was a match because I might "have HIV/AIDS"... which is shit and we all know it.

Either way, I think JB is an idiot who did it for the camera and to look cool. He doesn't give a shit about anyone.

I'm sorry. Some of the regulations are just stupid - like, around here you can't give blood if you had sex with a male who has had sex with another male. Like am I supposed to every sexual partner their entire sexual history?

I gave blood recently and it made me pretty weak and I almost passed out. I was stuck there for an hour. I'm still planning on being there as soon as I am allowed to donate again though!

I grew up in a fundie family although not Gothard. We did believe a lot of the same things or similar things so I don't know how much overlap there was. We were able/allowed to donate blood but not organs. The idea was your body would make more blood but once an organ was gone it was gone. We were also not "allowed" to get cremated because in the Bible (which was taken literally) it said something about the dead in Christ rising which meant that when the rapture came your body had to be "complete". I asked once about people who had to have their tonsils or appendix out but was sent to my room for being rude. I never found out the answer.

I can't give blood either even though I would love to. I don't weigh enough (I'm not even 5 feet tall so that someone doesn't think I am too skinny).

I've had several viles of blood taken from me at one time for testing, but can't give blood.

Seriously, JimBob is an idiot. agreed. The whole doing it for Josie-bs. If you cared about life, why wouldn't you do that regularly if you are able to give blood?

Bone marrow transplant matching is more involved/stricter than solid organ matches. On the whole I think the qualifications are very, very conservative but I don't have a problem with thinking better safe than sorry in that situation. I would guess the HIV thing is because it doesn't show up in a blood test for 6 months or something? That doesn't stop that rule specifically from seeming a bit outdated, though. I think a thorough interview could help them figure out if you are *actually* at risk.

In the US you can definitely earmark donations. Often this is done with platelets or plasma for people with immune/blood disorders because there's more whole blood available compared to "parts". I think you can donate platelets every other or third day. I had a blood disorder as a baby which involved low platelets and my family and some people from the community donated platelets to me (specifically) on a regular basis. So I think JB's comment could be taken either way... I would like to lean towards the "I've been inspired to give blood thanks to Josie" interpretation but I have a feeling it is more of the "I'm only donating because *my child* needs it [and will never do it again]" one. Which I agree is at the least selfish.

I can't donate but I would if I could since I have been in the position of needing blood/blood products! Bone marrow is also regenerated... I wonder if fundies would be okay with that? One person I know said she wouldn't sign up to donate a kidney to a stranger in case family ever needed it but would do bone marrow since it regenerates.

Speaking of blood donation- has anyone here ever done a double red blood cell donation? If so, what was the process as far as verifying your height/weight before the donation?

The Red Cross requires people doing a double red blood cell donation (donating just the red blood cells, but twice the amount you'd get from a normal donation) to be a certain height and weight. I've been told this is because you have to have a certain BMI to safely do the DRBC donation. Now, I meet the BMI criteria but not the height requirement (like, not even close) I kinda want to just lie about my height but I'm afraid they might measure people beforehand.

While donation is wonderful, what an asshole to spring it on them, and even worse to say it was only for Josie. Other people need blood too. :( If he ever needs blood, I hope his family gives it to him. It might sound mean to say, but he doesn't deserve blood from banks he wouldn't give to.

I believe they were actually giving to the blood banks. He was just claiming that they wouldn't have been giving blood in the first place if they hadn't been "convicted" by Josie's experiences.

I don't normally watch the Duggars but saw that episode for some reason and that comment stuck out to me too.

I think that no only is JB an asshole, but he also afraid of needles. . . yet thought it would be great fun to surprise his daughters.

He's such a tool.

Speaking of blood donation- has anyone here ever done a double red blood cell donation? If so, what was the process as far as verifying your height/weight before the donation?

The Red Cross requires people doing a double red blood cell donation (donating just the red blood cells, but twice the amount you'd get from a normal donation) to be a certain height and weight. I've been told this is because you have to have a certain BMI to safely do the DRBC donation. Now, I meet the BMI criteria but not the height requirement (like, not even close) I kinda want to just lie about my height but I'm afraid they might measure people beforehand.

i've never successfully donated, but a lot of my friends have done drbcd and they were picked out for it, like the person doing their mini physical chose them based on their self reported info and their own judgment about its accuracy. so i'd mention it like "oh, am i a candidate? my bmi is X" if they don't offer it and see what they say!

Thanks for all the well wishes1

I agree that springing it on the girls was a nasty move, but didn't really touch on that in my OP because I kind of felt like that was a given. I think the most likely reason for Jinger being unable to donate was because of dehydration. That's the usual cause of 'small veins' that she used to explain why she couldn't do it. And it's most likely that she was dehydrated because she hadn't had time to prepare for it (poor girl was up til 1am trying to figure out what JB had in store - if she'd known she could have been drinking water instead!).

I do indeed wonder if it was just for the show, as it was never followed up on - was anyone a match for Josie? Did Josie need a transfusion in the end? All these loose threads hanging! And I also believe that JB did do it only because it was for *his* child. I do wish it was more of the "Josie's situation has inspired me" but even if it did go into the blood bank, the way he presented it to the girls was that it was specifically for Josie, as the girls were saying in their THs that they were doing this *for* Josie, they hoped they'd be a match etc.

Also, interesting perspective on the organ donation, snarkbillie. My Mum says she is a non-believer, but has always said she wouldn't donate her corneas because they take the whole eye, and then, if there is a heaven, she wouldn't be able to see it (she also doesn't like that I will be donating my body to medical science - she says if I go to heaven there will be bits missing etc. I've tried pointing out to her that by her logic, she'll go to heaven all charred and burnt, or as a pile of ashes, as she wants to be cremated, but then she changes her mind to something about the soul only. This comes up periodically and we go around in circles over it, lol!). The transplant I had was a cornea transplant, my sight was failing rapidly and my eye risked rupturing, thus the possibility of losing my eye entirely. So donating corneas is a big deal for me. A lot of people feel squeamish about donating their eyes, or think that it won't make much difference, but it really does (it doesn't help all my other issues, I'll always be sick, but at least I'll be able to see - I'm already partially deaf at 30!). So I'm trying to bring my Mum around. There was a documentary on tv recently featuring a young woman who was severely disfigured in an acid attack by a psycho ex. She's become a bit of a national treasure, as she set up a charity for people who are disfigured and does a lot of campaigning. Anyway, she had eye surgery, including corneal transplant, and she regained her sight. In the days and weeks since it aired (3 weeks ago), more people than ever have signed up to donate, including corneas. So I can see that even by showing the Duggars donating blood will have inspired many to go and do the same, and that can only be a good thing.

Bone marrow transplant matching is more involved/stricter than solid organ matches. On the whole I think the qualifications are very, very conservative but I don't have a problem with thinking better safe than sorry in that situation. I would guess the HIV thing is because it doesn't show up in a blood test for 6 months or something? That doesn't stop that rule specifically from seeming a bit outdated, though. I think a thorough interview could help them figure out if you are *actually* at risk.

Did you seriously just say this? I am no more at risk for HIV than you are, do they bar you from giving blood? The HIV thing is because of the Scare in the 80s with HIV/AIDS being the gay cancer. Ryan White, look him up, received HIV+ blood from a transfusion, and thus it was a gays problem he ended up with it. Gay males were banned in the 80s because of gay cancer scares and the fact that they did not have a way of testing the blood. Now a days, blood is easily tested for HIV..

However, we are the only WHOLE GROUP that has been denied the privilege of giving blood based on who we sleep with. We are, no longer, the only group that carries HIV/AIDS, but we are still the only group not allowed to donate. I have never slept with anyone other than my partner, him the same. Yet we aren't allowed to give blood. It doesn't make sense, and it's not okay. In any way, shape, or form, it is not okay.

Anyone who calls him or herself "pro-life" but does not donate blood (if eligible) is not really pro-life, imo.

As for who should be banned from donating, it should be based on behavioral history. Due to "false negative" risk, if you've engaged in risky behavior (unprotected sex, IV drug use, a tattoo) in the last 6 months, you shouldn't be eligible. It shouldn't matter WHO you engaged in the risky behavior with, just that it was risky.

I believe they were actually giving to the blood banks. He was just claiming that they wouldn't have been giving blood in the first place if they hadn't been "convicted" by Josie's experiences.

That's how I took it too. I don't think he was being an asshole on this occasion.

Archived