IGNORED

Farming for Jesus

fundiefan

Got back and saw you answered her before I could. It's a nasty racial slur here toward those of Mexican heritage. Having such friends gets me a little defensive of such a word. It's like calling someone black the n-word. So to me, that couple are racist assholes for using such language. :angry-fire:

Edit for error-thought Elle was talking about Noah using the w-word.

Where I live a wetback is a type of fireplace...! Strange world

so what crops honor the lord?

That's exactly what I was wondering when I read through these posts. He'll probably not grow GMO corn, soybeans or cotton or anything else that can be subsidized by the government since Big Brother is evil (it is, btw, and so's Monsanto, but that's my opinion). Maybe he'll stick to the plants and crops mentioned in the Bible kind of like how the "Maker's Diet" followed dietary restrictions for weight loss success and healthy living (debatable claims, naturally). My pastor's wife used to read the book to the Bible class when she taught us once a week. Fond memories.... :roll:

http://www.amazon.com/Makers-Diet-40-da ... 277&sr=1-1

I imagine that this "Farmer fer Jezus" will be the Christian carbon copy of Joel Salatin: just throw in some small-scale farming with bible speak and not one ounce of creative ideas and there you go

Got back and saw you answered her before I could. It's a nasty racial slur here toward those of Mexican heritage. Having such friends gets me a little defensive of such a word. It's like calling someone black the n-word. So to me, that couple are racist assholes for using such language. :angry-fire:

Edit for error-thought Elle was talking about Noah using the w-word.

I've got a bunch of Mexican friends, some here legally and some not, and they're the ones who said it's reference to sweaty backs from working. I was shocked one day to hear one of them call another a wetback, and was told relax, and that it meant sweaty backs.

Still not nice. I don't like when anyone uses slurs, even people of the same race. I know sometimes it's done as a way to "reclaim" a word, but I'm personally not comfortable hearing it and wish those slurs would just fall out of our language.

• 2 weeks later...

Random thoughts as I've been listening:

Noah definitely has a similar cadence in his speech to Papa Morton (especially those little self-deprecating chuckles and pauses). Makes me wonder if he got it from Morton directly, if the Sanders speak that way as well, or if he picked it up from Darthy.

Mama Sanders did a fair job at the SOTDRT. LL writes fairly well (ignore the abhorrent content) but I think she went to public school, not to mention college; Abbi doesn't have nearly as many embarrassing errors on the Sanders fam blog as the Mortons or Smiths; and Noah, while again his conclusions aren't anything I really agree with, is fairly well-spoken. Comparing him against Smuggar is hilarious.

At the same time, the one thing I do appreciate about Noah is that while he clearly has been raised with fundie doublespeak, he doesn't fall into the frothy, stir-em-up politician approach that we see so often in people like Glenn Beck or even Smuggar. It's actually pretty funny - several times Kevin Swanson goes off on a tangent that would, indeed, probably stir up some listeners, but every time I expected Noah to chime in with an "absolutely!" I'd get a pause and a deliberate, "Yes, I think so." Particularly funny is one part where Swanson inexplicably tries to go off on the evils of country music and how most in agrarian lifestyles listen to country. "And I'm sure you get that a lot in the South, in Alabama, right?" Noah basically says "Sure" and then plows on with the next talking point from his book.

At the end he talks a little bit about Darth - not gushing, but he definitely seems to be a non-gushing sort of guy, and his praise for her was pretty high in his own weird way.

My ending thought: he seems like an incredibly polite, non-smarmy, thoughtful guy. Such a shame he's been bathed in the Kool-Aid since birth. You know how sometimes people would say things like "Jessa would have been a cheerleader if she'd gone to public school"? Well, Noah would have been a nerd, but a nice kid who probably wound up successful. And since he's a man, in patriarchy he basically still is - just maybe with farming instead of, say, computers. It really underscores that it's the girls who are vastly more limited.

I'm not going to listen to the interview, because frankly I'm busy with sinful wordly distractions. I'm watching American Idol and have to vote for my hometown favorite :-) Reed Grimm

I do have to say that this fundie habit of having "experts" that are in their early 20's irritates the crap out of me. Noah, wait until your 40 to write the book. Twenty years of experience will change a lot for you. Same thing with this morons who write about marriage after they've been married for five minutes.

I'm not going to listen to the interview, because frankly I'm busy with sinful wordly distractions. I'm watching American Idol and have to vote for my hometown favorite :-) Reed Grimm

I do have to say that this fundie habit of having "experts" that are in their early 20's irritates the crap out of me. Noah, wait until your 40 to write the book. Twenty years of experience will change a lot for you. Same thing with this morons who write about marriage after they've been married for five minutes.

Gothard is the "expert" on marriage AND kids and he's got neither wife nor kids.

These people sound like assholes but I have to admit that I would not want a bunch of teenagers I didn't know doing things on my property either. Hell, I don't even like it when people park on the street in front of my house.

They're assholes for complaining about people not working while ignoring how there's a problem in that community of people not being able to get the training they need to actually get the type of jobs there are. If they didn't bitch about people who aren't able to find jobs they can do because they lack training, then this would be more of less a "meh" thing. But don't complain about people if they want to change and you have the ability to help change what you don't like about them (and make money to boot).

They're assholes for complaining about people not working while ignoring how there's a problem in that community of people not being able to get the training they need to actually get the type of jobs there are. If they didn't bitch about people who aren't able to find jobs they can do because they lack training, then this would be more of less a "meh" thing. But don't complain about people if they want to change and you have the ability to help change what you don't like about them (and make money to boot).

I am currently unemployed. I get so angry when people tell me to just go work for walmart since they are always hiring. I keep telling them that I am overqualified for walmart (masters in chemistry). Walamrt and similar companies will not hire people with my education level. They own company policy actually specifies this. I am ready to bitch slap the next person who calls me lazy because I dont have a job.

Shewearsfunnyhat, yeah, this. No one realises that you can get knocked back from jobs for being overqualified, but I've been told myself when I asked that this is a hiring policy. I have worked since I was 16. But experience and a degree both count against you with many employers.

I have a job now but remember the struggle. Good luck to you!

Archived