IGNORED

Elizabeth Smart is Married!

bekkah

I was shocked at the picture. I really hope that she is safe. We are almost the same age and I remember when she was taken....I think that is why I have such interest in the case. I think all that she has done shows she has power and that is the most important thing a victim can have.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
That picture could not be more unflattering - she looks like a haggard 35-year old. Surely she doesn't really look like that, could she?

That picture was of her? Goodness, I thought it was her mother. I really didn't follow the case in the media & forgot what her mother looked at.

That picture was of her? Goodness, I thought it was her mother. I really didn't follow the case in the media & forgot what her mother looked at.

This. I thought it was her mother. Her face is far too aged to be 24. She looks like she has wrinkles and spent far too much time in the sun.

Isn't Wanda eligible to get out in 10 years? I really hope Wanda and Brian David never get to be free again.

Utah needs some serious reform. They certainly do not take sex crimes seriously. I have seen so many sad cases invovling kids. There are so few ad litem guardians & so many cases. My neighbor is a judge. I can't even look at him because of some of the ruing he has made, "The women ALWAYS gets the kids"...grrrr

Wanda was actually mentally ill. The state was able to treat her schizophrenia with medicine. What she did was WRONG. I have suffered many mental illnesses where I have lost control of my actions. Because of this, I I think at the time of the kidnapping and that she was not able to fully control herself or understand what was happening. She will be eligible for parole in 2016 and release in 2018. I think that she should serve the entire sentence and then be placed in a group home. She needs the constant support and supervision that a group home would offer.

You are right about Utah needing serious reform. They try to hid the child bride polygamist cases because their history is ingrained in polygamy and child marriages. Mitt Romney has family in Mexico that is still part of the FLDS.

Me, too. I don't see how someone can go through a traumatic abduction and constant sexual abuse for nine months and not need therapy.

Cause in Mormonism all you need is God and he'll make *everything* better.

*PUKE*

That's one huge reason I had to get out. I was looked upon as weak because of my need to get therapy.

Cause in Mormonism all you need is God and he'll make *everything* better.

*PUKE*

That's one huge reason I had to get out. I was looked upon as weak because of my need to get therapy.

Sounds like Scientology. You're not welcome if you've been on psych meds, and if you've veer had therapy, then you were messed up and so need expensive auditing which is just...therapy of sorts. One guy I knew thought he met his soul mate until he found out she had been on psych meds for two days in her teen years.

I hope everything works out for her. Some of those comments are just uncalled for on the people website. So far she has been able to finish high school, hold a job in which she worked with the public daily, go to college, go on a mission, live away from home for over a year so I hope this next step in her life can be sucessful. I'm actually more concerned about the young man's motivations not Elizabeth ability to overcome. I know it happens ALOT, but meeting an American on your mission & marrying them, I am always suspicious. I'm sure Ed Smart had this guy checked out.

As for therapy I remember her mom said she was getting it through the church. In Utah sometimes the best therapists work for the church social services. The LDS church offers fair wages, ample time off to be with family and great benefits and pensions(the lds church isnt going to go broke anytime soon).

Silverspoons, I'm confused by your "meeting an American" comment. What do you mean?

I truly hope she doesn't have flashbacks after she does the deed with her new husband. Or maybe now that she's married her headship will get her some real help. I really truly hope she can live a happy and healthy life.

Therapy doesn't help everyone, and not everyone needs it. Some people can make peace with something horrible that's happened and understand they had no fault and the perpetrators alone are responsible for their actions. I doubt she's just never talking. Since the more effective form of therapy for most people is non-drugged talk therapy, she may be talking about it al she needs and that's therapeutic enough.

I hope this guy is a good guy.

And I've got to ask what on earth is up with all that makeup. It makes her look so much older than she is! I didn't think she would look THAT old from the comments here, but WOW, she DOES!!

that's true, let's just hope that's her case.

That picture could not be more unflattering - she looks like a haggard 35-year old. Surely she doesn't really look like that, could she?

I saw some casual photos of her and her now husband around the time her engagement was announced. They were without all the makeup and hair done up and she looked a LOT younger....more her age. That overly made up look really ages her. As for her hair, she's a natural blonde but not this platinum blonde; that color doesn't work for her at all.

At any rate, I wish her and her new husband the best. I was appalled to hear that she didn't get therapy and to top if off, her parents didn't think she needed therapy. Tho I do remember when she was found and brought home, the Smarts made a show of how great she was doing, had her perform her harp for the family the first night she was home, and really seemed like they expected her to just move on. I suspect her saying she didn't need it was just going along with what her parents wanted. Personally I hope that now that she is married and gets out from under her family's thumb (especially Daddy Smart, couldn't stand that guy), maybe she will decide to get therapy at some time.

Also, I remember that her husband is Scottish not American.

RE the husband being Scottish not American, this is where I don't get Silverspoons' objection or the fact she finds it strange and worrying. Plenty of people meet people from other nationalities all the time, get on and get married. Why is it more unusual because ES is American?

I have some suspicions about why she thinks that. But before judging, I would like to hear her explanation.

I'm personally hoping that since her husband is Scottish, they settle down (eventually) in Europe and get away from the madding crowd in the USA.

RE the husband being Scottish not American, this is where I don't get Silverspoons' objection or the fact she finds it strange and worrying. Plenty of people meet people from other nationalities all the time, get on and get married. Why is it more unusual because ES is American?

I have some suspicions about why she thinks that. But before judging, I would like to hear her explanation.

Some Americans believe that all foreigners want to enter this country badly enough to marry someone they do not love.I grew up near a military base and heard this sentiment often, even toward couples who had been married for many years and were obviously happy.

I've only heard this said when the spouse was a different race than the American. Hearing it said about Scottish people is new to me.

I'm personally hoping that since her husband is Scottish, they settle down (eventually) in Europe and get away from the madding crowd in the USA.

My thoughts exactly. Right now I am assuming they have to go back to SLC so she can hopefully finish (read that: not getting pregnant and quitting) at BYU, then get out of there. Can't remember if he is a student or not.

Perhaps because he is from Europe, he's not into the virginity cult as much. I wondered that she would be viewed as "damaged goods" and it would affect her prospects, even though she was an unwilling victim. In any case, I wish her well; she deserves some happiness and peace.

Some Americans believe that all foreigners want to enter this country badly enough to marry someone they do not love.I grew up near a military base and heard this sentiment often, even toward couples who had been married for many years and were obviously happy.

I've only heard this said when the spouse was a different race than the American. Hearing it said about Scottish people is new to me.

Although this happens a lot, we have no info about this guy. for all we know he could be filthy rich and in no need of visa.

I do not believe for one moment that wedding between two americans are free of consideration outside love: financial, family pressure, religious pressure, etc all come into account in any relationship. Just because someone is foreign does not mean they can't have complex feelings.

People get married to people they meet on their missions all the time. It's not at all strange to me. They were both serving in foreign missions at the time, so they spent a lot of time together and ended up falling in love. I think this is the most common was LDS folks of different nationalities end up together. Either they fall in love with a local national or a fellow missionary. It's a very intense, emotional time in a young LDS person's life. Girls start their missions older than boys (21 vs 19) so that explains the 2 year age difference right there.

Well that's certainly better. The first picture was a little scary.

I'm glad that you saw another photo to put your mind at ease! At least now you know that

a victim of kidnapping, sexual, physical and mental abuse

this young woman doesn't look as hideous as you originally thought!! It must have traumatizing for you! :roll:

I'm glad that you saw another photo to put your mind at ease! At least now you know that

a victim of kidnapping, sexual, physical and mental abuse

this young woman doesn't look as hideous as you originally thought!! It must have traumatizing for you! :roll:

+1

This. I thought it was her mother. Her face is far too aged to be 24. She looks like she has wrinkles and spent far too much time in the sun.

I also thought that picture was of her mother, and I hope that her headship will help her get therapy if her family refused to let her see even a church therapist.

Holy crap!

Maybe Elizabeth Smart was caused to feel unworthy by her community of single American Mormon husband prospects??

"President Spencer W. Kimball, in his book Miracle of Forgiveness, quoted Prophet Heber J. Grant as saying, "[t]here is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity--realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,422603

“Also far-reaching is the effect of loss of chastity. Once given or TAKEN or STOLEN it can never be regained. Even in forced contact such as rape or incest, the injured one is greatly outraged. If she has not cooperated and contributed to the foul deed, she is of course in a more favorable position. There is no condemnation where there is no Voluntary participation. It is better to die in defending one’s virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle.â€

–Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness.

(Emphasis mine.)

Something I was wondering. She was raped daily for a year by that bastard. Based upon girls I went to high school with (and that was only screwing on Sat. nites) wouldn't she have gotten pregnant? Twisted, I know, but I remember when she was rescued thinking how horrible it would be for the Mormons to make her have the baby.

Guest Anonymous
Something I was wondering. She was raped daily for a year by that bastard. Based upon girls I went to high school with (and that was only screwing on Sat. nites) wouldn't she have gotten pregnant? Twisted, I know, but I remember when she was rescued thinking how horrible it would be for the Mormons to make her have the baby.

I have wondered about this too. Maybe, hopefully the sick bastard was sterile. Anyway, I'm glad she & her fiancee eloped and got away from the media. I hope they have a happy life together.

Supposedly she hadn't started menstruating yet when she was kidnapped. I read this during the trial.

Not to mention she could possibly be infertile. Most women who are don't realize it until they start trying to conceive (like me). I'm not wishing this upon her (hell, no), but just saying it is one other possible reason why she did not (thankfully) conceive during that awful time.

Archived