IGNORED

The Duggars are going to be on Anderson Cooper's daytime....

dawn9476

It doesn't surprise me in the least that AC made this a puff piece. His ratings aren't good and I'm sure his producers are getting desperate. The sad part is that yesterday's show was a hard-hitting one on child sexual abuse. However, in the past few months, AC has been taking one step forward and about three back. I think he should just stick to his news show.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know who Anderson's friend is? He looks familiar to me. Think I've seen him on Bill Maher, but I can't remember his name...

Although I'm disappointed in the lack of hard questions, I'm not surprised. I can't see anyone ripping into them with the kids present (even if it's by remote).

I'm curious whether they will make the Anna announcement that I think we can all admit is forthcoming, or if it will just be another puff piece. Frankly, I think they duo-location lends itself to a "surprise" for the parents, especially since said parents are in front of an audience.

I'm also curious how Anderson fans will receive the Duggars. It's not like the tickets you get weeks (or months) in advance will tell you what you're going to get when you enter the studio for a taping. I would imagine Anderson's audience to be, well, faghags like me who are still wishing he'd change teams, hot guys from Chelsea, rounded out with liberals who love AC360. Probably not much of a crowd who has heard of the Duggars unless AC sets it up like the Pearls. But the Duggars's religious beliefs have been swept under the rug, so I'm doubtful that will happen.

I just hope it's more than a pity party. I do hope they're exposed to more people who do some research and see them for the whackjobs they are. And if he can find an old wayback webpage when they still endorsed TTUAC, even better. Get out the plumbing line, mah boo! :mrgreen:

Boring interview. I think every response from Jim Bob and Michelle was a canned and memorized reply, that we've heard them say hundreds of times already. I have to wonder, really, how sympathetic is the general public to them overall regaring the last miscarriage? I guess it must be pretty high. Have to wonder, if Jim Bob was so concerned about Michelle dying in pregnancy/childbirth, why didn't he take a self imposed vow of celibacy if their religion doesn't permit the use of birth control? And, if this happens to them again, will they still go on every national talk show to "encourage" others who have suffered miscarriages? I'll bet if there was no tv show, the Duggars would not have had that elaborate funeral for Jubilee and invited all of those people. Anderson did say that will be on the season finale...the miscarriage and funeral. Gross. Then again, the Duggars are probably thrilled, their ratings will go sky high for that episode, just as it did for Jon and Kate Gosselin's announced divorce that pulled in 10 million viewers.

I read in the 19 K&C page (not sure how true this is) that all of his questions were Duggar-approved before the show

That isn't surprising that Duggar approved only questions were allowed.

That isn't surprising that Duggar approved only questions were allowed.

Certainly not surprising, but pretty disappointing. I was hoping he would be able to get in a few questions that they wouldn't have a canned response to. I would have loved to hear him ask them about their connections to the Pearls, at the very least.

I feel like if they are concerned about ratings, a piece that digs deep into Gothardism would be AWESOME. How many people really want to see more of the Duggars saying the same things over and over again?

Wait, don't answer that... :roll:

I think Gothardism will be exposed to the mass media someday, but the key in getting exposed to have former Gothardites come forward and tell their stories to the public. Anna's brother in law Josh McDonald runs a site for people who have left Gothard/ATI and there is another site run by another man who left the movement. I hope one of them or some one either writes a book or goes on a news magazine show.

I didn't get to watch it, but wow, how sad!

I can't believe this is the same Anderson who won my heart during the reporting of Katrina and calling out politicians - on air - for their rhetoric, instead of getting things done to help people.

Anderson is well aware of the Duggars and the controversy. Like others, he was probably told "only these questions or we won't be a part of your program". Wow, so now he's a sell out for ratings for his daytime show.

While I'm sorry to hear about the soft sell of the Duggars on Anderson Cooper's show, I'm not one bit surprised.

The fact remains, there are probably only a small handful of people who have their own shows but also have the power to control the direction and content of that show. Anderson Cooper is the face, but clearly he doesn't get to pull his own strings. The corporation that owns the network says what will or will not be shown, what slant a story will get, which reality "stars" to pimp on a certain week, etc. Anderson (and others) have to decide how much they want to be on television. Is it worth the sell out? Most of the time, they decide "yes." I think they convince themselves that as long as every once in awhile, they get to do a story they believe in, and feel makes some minor difference in the world, it's okay to be a shill the rest of the time.

I find the whole thing distasteful, to put it mildly. I don't watch AC, The View, The Talk, or any of the other mostly junk that's on the airwaves anymore. It's all phony.

The most truthful shows are The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Bill Maher is a close third. I can't tell if people like Anderson Cooper wish they could ask the tough questions, or if they've reached a point where they just don't care, as long as they keep their job.

The fact that they cannot answer any tough questions, or be challenged, displays insecurity, weakness, and cowardice. If they were true warriors of the lord, they would blaze forth with courage and faith. Instead, they scurry around like meek little mice (and breed like them too) with a bizarro checklist of inconsequential rules (long hair, floppy vagina) that will somehow gain them entrance to a heaven. A heaven that apparently welcomes everyone anyways.

Newbie here. So disappointed, I thought AC was going to light their arses up with some tough questions. Would be good if all media refuse to give them on-air time unless they answer questions selected by the host/show. Ugh!

Wow Anderson got his facts wrong! About 1 minute in he was doing a voiceover and said "in November 2010 when Michelle was 42 they announced they were having their 20th child". Uh it was 2011, and she was freakin 45!!

Anderson has taken a serious step backwards on his path to becoming a FJ patron saint!

Perhaps he should be downgraded to Blessed or Venerable Anderson. At least he had a good, "Bitch, please" face on when Michelle was talking about how the pill caused her first miscarriage. :roll: Too bad he didn't call them on that piece of ridiculousness.

Ugh, and the "Your children are so well behaved!" comment. Anderson, you railed against the Pearls, but you praise those who ascribe to their methods! :evil:

Those weren't softballs he lobbed; they were big beach balls.

He used the word "controversy" about six times, but never addressed what was controversial or why it would be considered controversial.

I swear if I hear that prepared speech of Michelle's about how birth control killed her second child again, I'll puke.

The two of them are actors who never deviate from the script.

Josh was his usual blowhard self. Josiah looked miserable.

Those weren't softballs he lobbed; they were big beach balls.

He used the word "controversy" about six times, but never addressed what was controversial or why it would be considered controversial.

I swear if I hear that prepared speech of Michelle's about how birth control killed her second child again, I'll puke.

I know. I feel like it's getting longer and longer too.

The two of them are actors who never deviate from the script.

Josh was his usual blowhard self. Josiah looked miserable.

I liked how Josh answered the question about privacy; boy couldn't wait to get out of that house. Uck!

Noooooooo! I'm so disappointed in Anderson Cooper. When Michelle said that the Pill caused her miscarriage, AC should have asked:

Do you know that the Pill does not cause miscarriage?

Why do you think the Pill causes miscarriage?

Who told you this, and why do you believe them?

Do you or the person who told you this have any evidence?

What would you say about kids who are born after their mothers are on the pill for months into pregnancy and suffer no ill effects from it?

If your first miscarriage was caused by the Pill, what caused your second miscarriage?

Why did your daughter-in-law have a miscarriage if she has never used the Pill? What do you blame that one on?

If the Duggars only agreed to the interview if they could pick the questions, then why did AC even bother? He shouldn't have made such an agreement, and if they decided not to appear on his show, it wouldn't affect him negatively. I'm not just disappointed; I'm really mad at him for compromising his journalistic standards.

Damitol, for some reason my DVR didn't pick up the record request, so I can't weigh in, but I can't say I'm surprised. They are "superstars" now and they have their publicists forward the "approved" questions. Anderson might be able to get away with more when interviewing idiots like Mike Pearl because he really doesn't know the protocol, or his inside buddies or Joe Schmoe off the street with X problem, but not the Duggars. He was pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place with them.

I think Smugs will ban me for asking why he didn't admit Anna was pregnant, since the other alternative is FAT. If she is indeed just fat (although I think she's knocked up, just a bad time to announce, and sweeps are over now), I feel really sorry for her.

A couple things.....I noticed Anna used Mac as a shield but Mac was not having it and seemed to be throwing a fit next flash at family Mac gone while AC talks about how well behaved they all were. Why was Micheal not being held by Josh?? A male Duggar behind them was holding him. Josie was in the front but never looked up at one point she seemed to of also crawled away like Mac.

Has Michelle ALWAYS interrupted JB? She kept taking over everytime he tried to speak..I was hoping AC would question them about having a child at this age after Josie's early birth but they were only on 15 min.

We know that the mc /funeral is the last episode of the season. I so knew camera's wouldn't be following them on the campain trail. Michelle looks horrible why she keeps talking about how healthy she is idk..

Archived