IGNORED

Ever seen HBO's Friends of God?

finleeport

The quiverful couple are Jeff and Susan Chapman and they are part of the Charity group. They have since moved to PA and are one of the kindest couples you'll ever meet - they're nothing to fear. ;)

The quiverful couple are Jeff and Susan Chapman and they are part of the Charity group. They have since moved to PA and are one of the kindest couples you'll ever meet - they're nothing to fear. ;)

You do realize that there are thousands of American quiverful families who hide their anti-gay, anti non fundie Christianity other religions and atheists, and anti-choice behind those sweet smiles, right? Go ask them about their real values and ask them to not sugar-coat their explanations such as "I believe that we should leave family planning up to God" (birth control should be mad illegal for everybody and nobody should have a choice about it) and that they want to make the American government into a theocracy, right?

Guest Anonymous

You do realize that there are thousands of American quiverful families who hide their anti-gay, anti non fundie Christianity other religions and atheists, and anti-choice behind those sweet smiles, right? Go ask them about their real values and ask them to not sugar-coat their explanations such as "I believe that we should leave family planning up to God" (birth control should be mad illegal for everybody and nobody should have a choice about it) and that they want to make the American government into a theocracy, right?

This is where context from earlier posts is important ;) :

Despite my better judgment (I would still be considered *very* 'fundie' by y'all) I wanted to share ...

This is where context from earlier posts is important ;) :

I know, and am sorry for my mistakes. I just don't like how people think that quiverfull people are harmless when they try and put freaks into power like the Duggars are trying with Dick Santorum.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with you Anxious Girl - sorry if the sarcasm I directed at the fundie-sympathiser seemed to be heading your way! :)

I am more than open to anyone coming here and telling me how open-minded, genuinely loving and tolerant their friends are, and showing evidence that contradicts the snark, but a self-confessed fundie 'assuring' us about other fundies with nothing but a winkicon, just brings on more snark from me....

@ anniec: Maybe Saturday nights are the new Friday nights? Do you want some ice-cream? I ran all out of cookies and popcorn... :(

Guest Anonymous

I am low on goodies too, but I just found a box of chocolates from Christmas that I can share with you, while I watch the end of the HBO programme on YouTube. :D. :roll:

As for the Chapmans, they seem to like spending their time pushing their beliefs on other people and then crying persecution and harassment when it is not wanted or accepted: lovely. I think I can categorically state that I most certainly have met kinder people than them..... :roll:

http://www.apprehendingtruth.net/page12.html

:laughing-rolling:

I am low on goodies too, but I just found a box of chocolates from Christmas that I can share with you, while I watch the end of the HBO programme on YouTube. :D. :roll:

As for the Chapmans, they seem to like spending their time pushing their beliefs on other people and then crying persecution and harassment when it is not wanted or accepted: lovely. I think I can categorically state that I most certainly have met kinder people than them..... :roll:

http://www.apprehendingtruth.net/page12.html

I am reading that now. I understand that they had theological differences with a particular mennonite group. However, it doesn't sound like they even tried to understand the group's culture.

How our burden grew as we learned these things and more. “You dare not carry a Bible to church or engage in spiritual conversation away from the church house,†we were told. This is thought to be an act of pride or arrogance. How many, many times would we hear the words, “THIS IS NOT A CHURCH!†as we attempted to share the Gospel throughout the summer.

They seem to view the other group as simply wrong instead of understanding that they are facing cultural differences. I thought that missionaries were supposed to make allowances for culture

The night was uneventful as they handed out tracts and engaged in a few meaningful conversations. However, after arriving home that night, our magnetic Gospel signs were stolen off of our van. The signs are large (6’ x 2’) and simply read, “Jesus came into the world to save sinners†and “Whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.†How grieved we were to think of the boldness of this thief, to steal a Gospel message (it was still daylight outside and we lived right on a very busy corner) and later to hear that our signs were taken to a party where they were burned by the rowdy crowd. “They absolutely hate the Gospel,†we marveled.

And it was true! As the summer unfolded, we saw more and more, the hatred this religious group had for the Word of God. We were

forbidden to witness at public gatherings, prohibited from handing out Gospel tracts at public events, and put under house arrest for preaching in the public square. “We know all of this,†they shouted, “Go back to Tennessee!†“We go to church!†“We’re Gods’ people!†“God is German!†“Don’t read to us from that no-good English Bible!†“LaCrete is a Christian community—go to Africa!â€

My guess is that the group had no hatred for the gospel but had a different manner of expressing faith than the family.

They fled to Russia in an agreement with Katherine the Great—an ungodly deal that traded rich farmland and freedom from army enlistment for the Mennonite’s commitment not to evangelize! And we see where this act of Gospel treason has landed them—right in the midst of dead religion some two hundred plus years later.

Whoa! This quote doesn't sound loving or kind, at all.

The family should not have been harrassed or threatened but quite frankly, they sound like jerks who were already set to be prejudiced against the culture that they were supposed to be sharing their faith with.

Guest Anonymous

Let me be sure I understand: the Chapmans and their friends elbowed their way into a long-established religious community, crapped all over their rugs, then had the gall to be incensed that nobody wanted them?

Gee, I wonder why.

Yep. The Chapmans went to a community with the intent of telling them that everything that they did was wrong.

When the community acted angry, the Chapmanns were shocked and screamed persecution. I'd like to see how they would react if I tried to convince their children of all the reasons that god doesn't exist.

I was hoping that Amelia would come back here and explain why these are good people exactly.

Religious mass meetings like the one in the beginning of the documentary scare me. They seem to get so "high on Jesus" that they are willing to buy into anything - and go out and fight for it. (Why am I thinking of Hitler's mass meetings in the 1930's?)

Yep. The Chapmans went to a community with the intent of telling them that everything that they did was wrong.

When the community acted angry, the Chapmanns were shocked and screamed persecution. I'd like to see how they would react if I tried to convince their children of all the reasons that god doesn't exist.

I was hoping that Amelia would come back here and explain why these are good people exactly.

it's not just good, it's "nothing to fear" part. Well this community had bullying to fear obviously. Harmless people that harass you for your beliefs, are actually not harmless.

Guest Anonymous
Religious mass meetings like the one in the beginning of the documentary scare me. They seem to get so "high on Jesus" that they are willing to buy into anything - and go out and fight for it. (Why am I thinking of Hitler's mass meetings in the 1930's?)

CABARET was ahead of both of us, back in 1972:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5bnVoZ ... re=related

Summary of the Chapmans: I believe that my version of God is the best version. I feel the need to go to these other Christian communities and churches to tell them that they are doing it all wrong and if they don't view God my way, they are going to end up in hell. My beliefs are always right. They don't like what (I believe) God says. How dare they criticize me and get angry. I am trying to save their souls! They don't understand that their beliefs about God are wrong, all wrong. They don't want to listen to God's message. These church goers hate God. They clearly hate the Bible. They want me to leave-they are persecuting me! PERSECUTING! We are right. Our version of God is the right and only version. The end. No discussion.

My view of them: Self-righteous hypocrites.

Summary of the Chapmans: I believe that my version of God is the best version. I feel the need to go to these other Christian communities and churches to tell them that they are doing it all wrong and if they don't view God my way, they are going to end up in hell. My beliefs are always right. They don't like what (I believe) God says. How dare they criticize me and get angry. I am trying to save their souls! They don't understand that their beliefs about God are wrong, all wrong. They don't want to listen to God's message. These church goers hate God. They clearly hate the Bible. They want me to leave-they are persecuting me! PERSECUTING! We are right. Our version of God is the right and only version. The end. No discussion.

My view of them: Self-righteous hypocrites.

Sounds about right. That's how I see fundies as, only I like to call them puritanical pharisaical jerks.

I know it's been said, but it bears repeating- just because people SEEM nice doesn't mean they actually ARE nice. Lots of horrible beliefs can be covered up with a smile.

My guess is that the group had no hatred for the gospel but had a different manner of expressing faith than the family.

Whoa! This quote doesn't sound loving or kind, at all.

The family should not have been harrassed or threatened but quite frankly, they sound like jerks who were already set to be prejudiced against the culture that they were supposed to be sharing their faith with.

Wot? They are evangelizing mennonites?

What is this, outfundy the fundies contest?

Surely their god has better things for them to do?

Wait, are the Chapman's the ones where the wife says something like, once upon a time I wanted to be a high-powered lawyer but then I learned that God just wanted me to have babies and now I'm soooooooooooo happy hahahahahahaha. Ha. ? Because I was unconvinced.

Archived