IGNORED

What happens to a woman's body after that many kids?

Guest abennetonn

Guest Anonymous

I've heard a lot of jokes about what must be happening to Michelle's body, or Kelly Bates's body, after having that many kids. But admittedly, now I'm really curious. What does happen to a woman after so many successive pregnancies?

I've had four kids. After the last, I found that I don't have as much warning for when I have to urinate. I've never peed on myself but when I have to go to the bathroom, I have to go. Michelle and Kelly Bates might have trouble with incontinence.

I would imagine that the uterus would run a chance of rupturing with each pregnancy

My mother had five kids. No bladder issues. Everyone's different - but I suspect after 19, yeah, everyone would have at least some issues with that.

Well I got some pretty severe damage with my two pregnancies. One was a natural labour but ended up as a rotational forceps delivery of a big baby laid sunny side up, the other was an emergency section.

I had stress incontinence issues, a rectocele, cystocele and a prolapse. I also had a severe diastasis recti which allowed a hernia to poke through. All are fixed now; hysterectomy and pelvic repair last year and hernia op 2 weeks ago.

Thing is, your body can be wrecked with just one pregnancy and/or delivery. Or you can have 7 babies and your body is fine. Every woman is different. However after 20 pregnancies, J'Chelle has to have some damage, not least because of all those c-sections. Each C-section makes the uterus wall weaker due to scar tissue which doesn't stretch. Plus she is at increased risk of pre-eclampsia as once you've had it, your chances of getting it again are highly increased and you'll get it earlier in the pregnancy. I honestly think it will take a miracle for J'Chelle to carry to term now.

My Catholic grandmother gave birth to 14 children (12 lived past infancy) so that's creeping into Duggar/Bates territory.

A couple decades after her childbearing years had ended, she called her daughter-in-law in a panic to take her to the hospital because "it" had fallen out and was resting in her underwear. By my aunt's description, they just shoved it right back in. I think uterine prolapse might be moving from the possible category to the probable category for women who carry and birth so many children.

raging 'rhoids? Varicose veins? Pelvic prolapse has already been mentioned, as has incontinence. Osteoporosis, tooth loss, thinning hair, chronic back pain...

Any of those things can happen after just one pregnancy, so the odds are higher for women like Michelle and Kelly. We also know that preeclampsia and gall bladder problems can happen with age. We were taught that the guidelines for gall bladder problems were Fat, Forty, Female and Fertile. I don't think that Kelly or Michelle is fat, but the rest fits.

I doubt that Michelle and Kelly have had a lot of these complications. It's probably one of the charms of their extremism. problems. With Michelle, God tested her with Josie's pregnancy and the complication she had. See how much God loves their family? Everything turned out fine because of their faith (Extreme sarcasm) Even if they are having some of these issues, they will hide it.

A friend of mine is the youngest of 15. Her mother had a total of 20 pregnancies, with 3 first trimester miscarriages, and one stillbirth at 6 months, and a full term stillbirth. She needed full dentures by the time she was 62, had the bladder sling procedure the same year because she was sick of depends, had varicose veins stripped and still needed to wear TED hose all the time. She'd has had surgery on the 'rhoids, has thin hair, and I'm sure she has osteoporosis.

She didn't have any of the restorative surgeries until after she had left her bastard husband when my friend was 20. I couldn't believe how much her mother had been through at his hands, and was horrified at the damage done to her body by all the pregnancies.

My mother had five kids. No bladder issues. Everyone's different - but I suspect after 19, yeah, everyone would have at least some issues with that.

A lot of it has to do with how much time there is between kids. Michelle doesn't give her body much time to recover. She has pretty much been either pregnant or working on getting pregnant most of her married life. So it's not just 19 kids, it's 21 pregnancies all very close together.

I had 5 vaginal births and the only problems I had after as some minor bowel issues after my second son. He decided to crush my lower intestions for the last 2 months of pregnancy. :evil: But that has been repaired. Anyway out side of strech marks, I got off scot free. Never had hemoroids, no bladder issues that keggals didn't fix, no long term problems what so ever. No complaints from DH in the bedroom either. My sister that only had 2 had just about every problem that a woman can get from pregnancy. :( Even though her youngest almost 21, she still has issues to this day. Every woman is going to be different and every pregnancy will be different.

A lot of it has to do with how much time there is between kids. Michelle doesn't give her body much time to recover. She has pretty much been either pregnant or working on getting pregnant most of her married life. So it's not just 19 kids, it's 21 pregnancies all very close together.

Maybe... but two of my siblings are 11 months apart. :shock: I think a very large component really is just genetic luck. After all, Michelle had pre-eclampsia with Jana and JD, and went on to have everyone else.

My mom had eight pregnancies; 1 was a miscarriage and only 7 of us survived. After I was born (through c-section) she couldn't have anymore babies.

She had many surgeries, she had cysts in her ovaries, and the doctors had to cut out her uterus.

Even if Michelle or Kelly had problems, they would not allow the public to know.They want to convince women that their lifestyle is problem free. It doesn't matter to them that having numerous children is not healthy for most women. It doesn't even matter to them that their daughters might be unable to carry as many pregnancies to term without problems. The only thing that matters is advancing their cause.

Michelle has not had problem free deliveries or pregnancies. Kelly has to take progesterone to carry her children to term. Plus, they are both in their mid forties. So many pregnancies, so close together is not something most women can handle.

The thinning hair isn't related to pregnancies, it's due to lack of estrogen. Estrogen also helps prevent osteoporosis so when we go through menopause and have decreased estrogen our hair thins. There's a genetic component too. And even women who've never been pregnant can get bladder incontinence. That really pissed me off, it was hard enough to have never had a pregnancy but I thought at least I'd never have to deal with the bladder issues. Kegels are any woman's best friend.

Years ago they used pessaries to keep a prolapsed uterus in place. They were wicked looking, I cannot imagine wearing one inside me!

My MIL had 13 kids (15 total pregnacies if you count miscarriages). All birth were 100% natural. She was forced to have a hysterectomy after her last pregnancy due to her uterus prolapsing. My MIL rarely complained. It semed like if she complained it would be blaming her kids and she loved her kids. She did say that she had to go to the bathroom alot more often(asumming bladder issues from all those births). When she lost weight she said she could never get her stomach flat. There was defintely loose stretchy skin. I still thought it was great she could wear a size 10 jeans at 60 after all those kids.

Also so much for JimBob's thoery that women who have a ton of kids live longer lives. Last May my MIL said she felt tired, like she had the flu. 3 weeks later she died of stage 4 colon cancer.

My grandmother had 5 live births and was pregnant 9-10 times (she had a miscarriage in between each baby! :( ). She had pretty much no physical issues as a result.

However, my mother in law, with my husband's birth he was #2 had a uterine prolapse either during or shortly after the birth. So... it depends on the woman? I think some women's bodies as my sister says "are meant to birth babies" my mom's and mine are. (big hips and HUGE pelvic opening, I got a badly positioned baby out in 6 pushes)

Man this thread is making me feel bad. I did so many kegels and 2 years later I have problems if I drink water before I work out. Walking around or cleaning the house? I'm ok. Jumping jacks? Oh dear!

I had three kids via c-section, and my body is ruined. It's going to take a lot of work to get back to a place where I am comfortable. I do agree with what other posters here say, that every woman is different. I suspect Michelle and Kelly must have at least a some pregnancy related health issues, though.

I guess I have lucked out! I had very difficult pregnancies and recoveries, but my body after five births and twice as many pregnancies is only harmed in cosmetic ways--stretch marks on the abdomen and hips, loose/stretchy skin in the same area, saggy boobs, thicker waist. I am (ahem) larger down there than I was before, but not much. I have noticed a difference when I pee. That is, it sprays everywhere rather than an actual stream.

I imagine after 10+ children, there would be no amount of good genes that would make up for the stress on the body! Also, I had a respectable space between most of my children--5 kids in 15 years--and I had no c-sections. Caesarians are really hard on your body, they are major abdominal surgery.

I don't know if this is true, but I read on another forum that every time you are pregnant, the placenta has to attach to a different part of the uterus because the previous attachment area gets scarred. Maybe someone here knows more about this than I do? If it's true, I hope Michelle has been warned by her doctor. What a tragedy if she continues to have late miscarriages/stillborns.

Bear with me I'm on my phone. The placenta does like to attach to a fresh spot on the uterus with each pregnancy. When you have a grandmultip (5 or more pregnancies ) patient each pregnancy is at higher risk for placenta accreta, a morbid adherence to the uterus. In severe cases the placenta can infiltrate the surrounding organs causing major damage, as the placenta must be cut away in order to remove it. Best case scenario: total hysterectomy. Worst case scenario: major organ damage and death.

Something else I've wondered, if Michelle is faced with abrupt and definite loss of fertility (hysterectomy) rather than gradual (menopause ) is she going to mentally loose her fucking shit?

Do you think she'd even consent to a hysterectomy? We've seen that she values her fertility over everything else.

Archived