IGNORED

Contraception "denigrates" her as a woman

AudreyE

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/15/contraception-denigrates-me-as-a-woman/comment-page-3/#comment-67427

This woman wants to know why she should alter something about herself that works in order to be free. After all, her fertility is not a disease.

I'm going to be honest here; I wanted to be facetious and say that this article makes me want to suck my thumb or crack open a bottle of wine at 8 AM or something. Actually, it kinda makes me want to cry with frustration just a little bit. I've been brimming with anger the last week about the assault on contraception, but this morning I just feel bummed.

It's not that women like this exist; that's not news to me. I guess I'm just sad that this is the first editorial about contraception by a woman I've seen so far on CNN, and it only exists to... basically to betray us.

How about expressing what most American women feel before giving voice to a flake?

I suppose this is similar to how news organizations prove that they are objective by having a total crackpot in to "balance" the opinion of a credible scientist about evolution. Still... bummer. At least the scientists actually get to speak before being shut down.

I guess we're just supposed to assume that mainstream women have already said everything they have to say, so we can move right along to more diverse points of view. Except we haven't got to say much of anything in the most important forums. We have men talking, and now women who support the men by claiming that anything else is a very affront to womanhood.

Getting sick and dying is part fo the natural order but we try to prevent that. Being cold is not unnatural but we try to remain warm and comfortable.

The woman's point is stupid. Normally, I try to respond respectfully to other views. There is nothing to respect in her views. She is not stupid enough to think that someone is going to force BC down her throat. If she doesn't want to take birth control, don't use it. Plain and simple

However, my fertility is an issue for me. Pregnancy can be dangerous for many women. It can also be unwanted. Humans have always tried to control their enviroments and bodies.

It was natural and normal for children to grow up without mothers because women often died in childbirth. Many things are natural to our bodies that we try to control.

Fuck her. this issue is making me mad

Hah! If anything, this morning I'm feeling that being pregnant is denigrating me as a woman, because suddenly _I_ no longer exist and it's all about the baby. I can't even want ice cream without it being, according to one of my friends, because "the baby wants ice cream!" (The baby doesn't even know what ice cream is! The baby currently has no conscience thoughts!)

Yeah, if contraception denigrates her, she doesn't have to use it.

I think it would be easier to respect her point of view, if she didn't disrespect mine with every word out of her mouth. It's been awhile since I've read feminist theory, but I'm pretty sure that defining the essence of "womanhood" and then accusing other women of lacking it (or disrespecting it) is a pretty old trick from the anti-feminist playbook.

It was natural and normal for children to grow up without mothers because women often died in childbirth. Many things are natural to our bodies that we try to control.

Good point. You can't shake a stick at a pre-20th century novel without finding some woman dying in childbirth. Heck, I had complications and probably would have died during my pregnancy without modern medical care, and I just kept thinking, "Wow, this baby I'm carrying would have been my death sentence 100 years ago, and there would have been nothing I could have done to stop it. In for a penny, in for my LIFE."

Hah! If anything, this morning I'm feeling that being pregnant is denigrating me as a woman, because suddenly _I_ no longer exist and it's all about the baby. I can't even want ice cream without it being, according to one of my friends, because "the baby wants ice cream!" (The baby doesn't even know what ice cream is! The baby currently has no conscience thoughts!)

Yeah, if contraception denigrates her, she doesn't have to use it.

My pregnancy was planned, and I love my son dearly, but my very first thoughts after I'd popped him out and caught my breath were, "I will never share my body with another person again. I will never share my body with another person again! I will never share my body with another person again!!" It was a very focused mantra, because I wanted myself to really remember.

Of course, my pregnancy was really hard, and my sister-in-law had just lost her daughter and almost bled to death during her own pregnancy, so I was feeling a bit cynical even before the aching hips and reflux and leaky bladder and...

Good point. You can't shake a stick at a pre-20th century novel without finding some woman dying in childbirth. Heck, I had complications and probably would have died during my pregnancy without modern medical care, and I just kept thinking, "Wow, this baby I'm carrying would have been my death sentence 100 years ago, and there would have been nothing I could have done to stop it. In for a penny, in for my LIFE."

I would've died very early on with my pregnancy with my son. Hyperemesis is no joke; women died from it in the past (also, untreated, HG has the potential to cause miscarriages simply because your body will try to protect YOU first and expel what's causing you harm). I knew when I was pregnant that if I wanted more kids in the future, I would have to wait until that particular baby was old enough to pretty much care for himself, because I couldn't even taken care of MYSELF when I was pregnant. I couldn't breathe deeply, I couldn't watch tv (the flashing light made me vomit), at one point I hadn't showered in three days because standing made me vomit and really, one more vomit just wasn't worth it at that point. It was wretched, and I was miserable, and I am so deeply offended that other people think I should go through that multiple times...what? For Jesus? As a punishment for having sex with my husband? For having the gall to have a uterus and a vagina in the first place?

Nine years later, I still have an only child. We're considering having one in a few years, but I'm dealing with some other health issues right now (ones that might make pregnancy incredibly difficult and painful for other reasons, ones that may have been caused or exacerbated by that first very difficult pregnancy).

When can we sue the GOP for practicing medicine without a license?

Her entire argument relies on Catholic doctrine. Fine. For her. Newsflash: not everyone is Catholic, or chooses to follow Catholic doctrine, and shouldn't be forced to. I am sick and tired of being put in a position to justify my private sexual and reproductive decisions according to some political groups whims. Conservatives go on and on about getting less government in our lives, yet here they are. If I want birth control because I want the to f*ck with abandon, I am entitled to that. I will not go on at length about my medical needs. I am not required to justify myself to these people. (ironically, hubby is on several meds which make things, well, let's just say I'm embracing a more spiritual side of our relationship) Who the hell put her in charge?

What would her reaction be if the Jehovah's Witnesses started protesting at blood banks? If they suddenly declared that they should not be forced to have their insurance pay for transfusions because transfusions are wrong and if you don't stop them right now, you're persecuting their religion. Or what if the Orthodox Jews suddenly demanded that all food must be kosher because it says so quite clearly in Leviticus and if lawmakers try to oppose their demands, well, then they're anti-Jewish or some such crap. It's all really quite ridiculous.

Her entire argument relies on Catholic doctrine. Fine. For her. Newsflash: not everyone is Catholic, or chooses to follow Catholic doctrine, and shouldn't be forced to. I am sick and tired of being put in a position to justify my private sexual and reproductive decisions according to some political groups whims. Conservatives go on and on about getting less government in our lives, yet here they are. If I want birth control because I want the to f*ck with abandon, I am entitled to that. I will not go on at length about my medical needs. I am not required to justify myself to these people. (ironically, hubby is on several meds which make things, well, let's just say I'm embracing a more spiritual side of our relationship) Who the hell put her in charge?

:clap: Can I get an "Amen" up in here?

Archived