IGNORED

So, what do the older Duggar daughters do all day??

CustardTart

Three and done, in California all an LVN can't do is hang IV med. The pay is half an RN and they can do EVERYTHING else. So hiring LVNs is pretty desirable. Have one RV on the floor for antibiotics and have LVNs for the rest. In some states LVNs are glorified CNAs, but in some they are mini-RNs.

My mom was a nurse for many years and was even a charge nurse with RNs working under her. It always upset her that she wasn't an RN. She and my dad ran out of money (this was back before colleges and state schools were subsidized in California), so she couldn't finish the ONE class she still needed, but she still sat the RN test, passed at the very top of the class, but without that class, could only get an LVN. She had letters of rec out the hoo-ha from her college, which helped her get much better pay, but she still was looked down upon by a lot of RVs, even when she was their boss. It always upset her that she could hang anything else, but not antibiotics, though she knew how and passed the test on it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those credits are good at one university whose credits and degrees don't transfer anywhere.

The CLEP stuff is all lower division, no science, and if an accredited college takes ALL the classes, it's still something like 50 units, tops. BUT, most top schools don't take ANY CLEP tests, although I checked U of Arkansas during a night of extreme boredom and they accept some, but not all, CLEP tests. Smugs, Jill or anyone else who wanted to pursue a nursing or law or teaching degree is going to have to complete some post-grad work. The last I heard about Jill was that she was shadowing a doula. That's about the only thing she's ever going to be qualified to do.

I think it was on DWOP in which I said I'd dance nekkid on the Golden Gate Bridge if Smuggar ever got a real law degree. Since the only kind he can get now is sitting at the bar in Ebil, Librul Commiefornia, that won't be happening. Like ever.

I think we can all keep our clothes on.

CLEP was developed by the College Board, which is perfectly legit. There's a search here where you can find which colleges accept CLEP credits. They claim that there are over 2900 schools that do, but of course that includes community colleges and unaccredited institutions too. There are quite a few good public schools that will take some CLEP credits, but usually a very limited amount and only for certain courses. It's not so different from getting credit for AP exams or placement tests.

All that being said, you certainly don't need CollegeMinus to take CLEP tests. Anyone who can pay the fee and get to a testing center can take them. CollegeMinus is a scam. And I don't see any of the Duggar kids even getting to the point of collecting transfer credits for a real college. If their parents actually cared about their education, they'd pair them up and send them to a local community college. It'd be cheaper and more useful than shilling for CollegeMinus.

As several posters have mentioned, nursing schools are highly competitive and require a LOT of work.

I am just a few credits shy of a degree in Health Sciences, consistently on the Dean's List (I was also recently invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society :) :oops: ), and have a cumulative GPA of slightly over 3.8. Even with all of that going for me, I may not be accepted to nursing school. My understanding is that every year they receive approximately 200 applications for 90 open spots. :(

:

A bit off topic...finishing up a certificate in Medical Coding at the local cc and have been encouraged to continue on with the Health Information Technology degree but getting into that program is as tough as nursing school. You need to take the pre-nursing entrance exam (yep even for HIT) and even then it's not guaranteed with 80 slots and double the number of applicants. The students I know that are thinking about going for the degree are really nervous about getting in. Several of them are taking the exam now just to see if they get a grade high enough to get in before deciding to continue with classes.

Back to topic, I never understood this belief that the Duggar girls could go into nursing. They clearly don't know what they are talking about. Not only do those girls not have the educational background to get into any nursing program, much less do the classes, even if by some great miracle one of them did get a nursing degree, they would not be able to handle the realities of working in nursing. I am not a nurse, but watched me mum go through nursing school and get started in her career. It was tough. I also attended an evangelical Christian college that had a huge nursing program that had a lot of fundie-lites going there. Many of the female students went into the program because it would be a "proper" career. Not all made it and those that did, there were some who quit in that first year, including a friend of mine, when they found it how tough a job it was.

I don't know exactly what they do all day, but I hope at least one of them is mentally planning her escape from that fundy prison.

I really hope so. I knew someone who sorta fell into the SAHD trap....she did have a job but spent the rest of her time cleaning and cooking for her parents and still unmarried sister at home. Even at 30, she never had a boyfriend and after years of doing all this stuff for the family, it was like she was the family "slave". She was getting pretty depressed with her life and I actually worried about her being suicidal. She did eventually escape, when she met her husband (truly good guy) over that evil internet :twisted:. When they got married, they moved out of state within weeks and have never gone back.

A bit off topic...finishing up a certificate in Medical Coding at the local cc and have been encouraged to continue on with the Health Information Technology degree but getting into that program is as tough as nursing school. You need to take the pre-nursing entrance exam (yep even for HIT) and even then it's not guaranteed with 80 slots and double the number of applicants. The students I know that are thinking about going for the degree are really nervous about getting in. Several of them are taking the exam now just to see if they get a grade high enough to get in before deciding to continue with classes.

Back to topic, I never understood this belief that the Duggar girls could go into nursing. They clearly don't know what they are talking about. Not only do those girls not have the educational background to get into any nursing program, much less do the classes, even if by some great miracle one of them did get a nursing degree, they would not be able to handle the realities of working in nursing. I am not a nurse, but watched me mum go through nursing school and get started in her career. It was tough. I also attended an evangelical Christian college that had a huge nursing program that had a lot of fundie-lites going there. Many of the female students went into the program because it would be a "proper" career. Not all made it and those that did, there were some who quit in that first year, including a friend of mine, when they found it how tough a job it was.

I have also thought the same thing about the Duggar girls not being able to handle the realities of a nursing career and if they even got into a nursing program, I can't see them doing well during clinicals. The Duggar girls are way too sheltered and Jill has I mentioned is pretty naive about a lot of things in the world.

I have also thought the same thing about the Duggar girls not being able to handle the realities of a nursing career and if they even got into a nursing program, I can't see them doing well during clinicals. The Duggar girls are way too sheltered and Jill has I mentioned is pretty naive about a lot of things in the world.

Clinicals can be real eye-openers. Me mum did hers in several big city hospitals....never forget the day she came home from one clinical where she was in the hospital pysch ward and the patient she was following had a major freak out and had to go into the locked up part of the ward. She had to follow him.

Bwahaha! We should have a bunch of FreeJingers "infiltrate" the next Gothard convention! Hahahahaha!!!!

You don't even have to streak at a Gothard convention to shock people. Just show up in a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt. That would be shocking enough.

I also don't understand how anyone can buy that Jill is actually going to go into nursing. She does not have a sufficient education and would have to handle nude bodies of both sexes, which I am positive is not allowed in Gothardism and she probably wouldn't handle it if it was as she has been taught such automatic stop signs.

I expect the girls do endless chores. I don't know why anyone doesn't challenge the Duggars about not using libraries, seeing as they're FREE and everything, but then I forgot that that would expose to girls to some new ideas and thinking for themselves.

It does make me laugh that a few years ago all the Duggar defenders were claiming how the children were raised to be sterling members of society and now none of them have a real job or went to college. The sad part is that their education and real life skills are so stinted that they couldn't get anywhere with one, even if they wanted to, and the girls have been taught that to do anything independently is a sin. It's sad.

Guest Anonymous
CLEP was developed by the College Board, which is perfectly legit. There's a search here where you can find which colleges accept CLEP credits. They claim that there are over 2900 schools that do, but of course that includes community colleges and unaccredited institutions too. There are quite a few good public schools that will take some CLEP credits, but usually a very limited amount and only for certain courses. It's not so different from getting credit for AP exams or placement tests.

All that being said, you certainly don't need CollegeMinus to take CLEP tests. Anyone who can pay the fee and get to a testing center can take them. CollegeMinus is a scam. And I don't see any of the Duggar kids even getting to the point of collecting transfer credits for a real college. If their parents actually cared about their education, they'd pair them up and send them to a local community college. It'd be cheaper and more useful than shilling for CollegeMinus.

Not to mention that as Arkansas residents, they'd qualify for in-state tuition rates, which would be much lower than the out-of-state rates.

I've always wondered that, too. Except it's pretty obvious they live up to their nicknames here -- J'Slaves. I'm presuming if they do have a spare moment or two between chores, it's musing about their future weddings, or who might be their knight in shining armor thereas. It's also pretty obvious the Gothard pretexts are firmly in place; as long as Mom Mullet can spawn more kids, the less likely

her J'Slaves will be able to consider their lives and make any choices above and beyond their daily grind. The perfect trap!

As far as TLC is concerned, I'm sure they've recieved feedback aplenty of "Why aren't those lovely, seemingly intelligent GIRLS being prepared for nothing more than to become brood mares?" from all stripes. I also think TLC doesn't want to be the harbinger of the viewing public seeing all those young, potential lives wasted just being SAHD's, and would just as soon bow out of the D&P show well in advance. Just my thoughts...

I think that when a fundie daughter like Jill says she wants to become a nurse, it doesn't mean what we think it does. She has no intention of working even a part-time job in the standard sense. She plans to learn some nursing skills that will be useful within her own fundie community and nowhere else. It's a good selling point for potential courters if she is a "birthing assistant" or unlicensed, unqualified midwife. Her only jobs would be helping her relatives and her husband's relatives, and she wouldn't work for outsiders or "worldly" people. And learning things about first aid and basic care would make her more valuable to a potential husband because she could use it to care for him and their zillion kids so they would save tons of money by not going to the doctor. She doesn't need an accredited degree because she'll never have a paying job as long as she stays in that lifestyle. It's the same thing with Anna getting some worthless degree in early childhood education. She had no intention of becoming a teacher or even starting a home daycare/preschool. But it did make her more desirable to Smugs because she will be responsible for homeschooling her own children. Maybe when the money gets tight she can give tutoring, but only to other fundies.

QFT! This is exactly what her family means and intends when they talk about any of their daughters "becoming" any profession.

I also don't understand how anyone can buy that Jill is actually going to go into nursing. She does not have a sufficient education and would have to handle nude bodies of both sexes, which I am positive is not allowed in Gothardism and she probably wouldn't handle it if it was as she has been taught such automatic stop signs.

I expect the girls do endless chores. I don't know why anyone doesn't challenge the Duggars about not using libraries, seeing as they're FREE and everything, but then I forgot that that would expose to girls to some new ideas and thinking for themselves.

It does make me laugh that a few years ago all the Duggar defenders were claiming how the children were raised to be sterling members of society and now none of them have a real job or went to college. The sad part is that their education and real life skills are so stinted that they couldn't get anywhere with one, even if they wanted to, and the girls have been taught that to do anything independently is a sin. It's sad.

I still laugh at the Duggar defenders that still say stuff like that. The only older Duggar kids that could make on their own completely are John and Joseph. Out of the older boys, they are the ones that are very hardworking. The J'Slaves are very stinted and sheltered and if they were to escape, they would encounter a lot of problems. None of them have work experience which can sometimes be problem in the retail, cleaning, and food services. They could try for childcare jobs, but again they would face problems there. Couples who hire nannies will sometimes do deep background checks and I can see a couple being appalled at finding out about some of the beliefs the Duggars have and their connections to Gothard etc. Some daycare and preschools wouldn't hire them because they don't have any type of degree and I know a few childcare places that will only hire college students who are majoring in early childhood education to be helpers.

Guest Anonymous

I still laugh at the Duggar defenders that still say stuff like that. The only older Duggar kids that could make on their own completely are John and Joseph. Out of the older boys, they are the ones that are very hardworking. The J'Slaves are very stinted and sheltered and if they were to escape, they would encounter a lot of problems. None of them have work experience which can sometimes be problem in the retail, cleaning, and food services. They could try for childcare jobs, but again they would face problems there. Couples who hire nannies will sometimes do deep background checks and I can see a couple being appalled at finding out about some of the beliefs the Duggars have and their connections to Gothard etc. Some daycare and preschools wouldn't hire them because they don't have any type of degree and I know a few childcare places that will only hire college students who are majoring in early childhood education to be helpers.

Besides the lack of a work ethic and experience, another thing that would hamper them is their insistence on living by "Duggar Time" which translated means their time is valuable, yours is not. And I think that the average daycare director would hyperventilate once it became known that the girls were raised by parents that think Debbie and Michael Pearl are just peachy.

Besides the lack of a work ethic and experience, another thing that would hamper them is their insistence on living by "Duggar Time" which translated means their time is valuable, yours is not. And I think that the average daycare director would hyperventilate once it became known that the girls were raised by parents that think Debbie and Michael Pearl are just peachy.

Yup daycare directors would also be freaked out if they found out the connections to the Pearls. I believe there are screenshots taken from wayback machine that have shown that the Duggars' site had a link to the Pearls on their site and To Train Up A Child was also on a book list.

"Duggar Time" is another thing shows the arrogance of the family. If Jill was to pull Duggar time bs in nursing school, she would get her ear chewed off by an instructor or supervisor. I liked Jill quite a bit until she made the dumb ass comment about how her parents allow their kids to live at home after age 18/high school and "how most parents kick their kids out."

Guest Anonymous

Yup daycare directors would also be freaked out if they found out the connections to the Pearls. I believe there are screenshots taken from wayback machine that have shown that the Duggars' site had a link to the Pearls on their site and To Train Up A Child was also on a book list.

"Duggar Time" is another thing shows the arrogance of the family. If Jill was to pull Duggar time bs in nursing school, she would get her ear chewed off by an instructor or supervisor. I liked Jill quite a bit until she made the dumb ass comment about how her parents allow their kids to live at home after age 1ver b 8/high school and "how most parents kick their kids out."

I've never been able to get behind the Jill love. If any of her siblings are toying with escape, they'd best do their plotting or scheming when she is well out of earshot. Jill strikes me as the sort that would turn either of us in to the Nazis for having a radio.

I've never been able to get behind the Jill love. If any of her siblings are toying with escape, they'd best do their plotting or scheming when she is well out of earshot. Jill strikes me as the sort that would turn either of us in to the Nazis for having a radio.

Rat Jill lol :lol: I can see her being like that. I liked Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger during the first couple of seasons, but over time they became smug. I still feel sorry for them because of how their lives are but I don't find of them any to be likable. Either Jessa or Jinger showed her smug attitude in that episode that involved Sarah Malley.

I wonder how much training you have to do to be a volunteer EMT? Don't some of the Bates kids do that, including at least one girl? Since its clear that none of the Duggar girls are going to be employed gainfully, I wonder if this would be a way for the parents to claim that their daughters are 'working' even if they never actually get inside of the ambulance other than to clean it.

Clep tests are perfectly legit, but they were never intended to do what the Duggars are trying to do, which is use them to completely replace a college education without taking any standard courses.

And I often feel like people underestimate the careers of both nursing and childcare when they suggest that the J'slaves could do them. It takes more than a "servant's heart" and work ethic. Neither is an easy job to do, and it's even harder to do them well. Nursing isn't just about following doctors orders and passing out food trays. It takes a lot of medical and scientific knowledge that the Duggars simply do not have. It's not an easy job that you can just do as a fun little side project to bring in a little extra money. And with childcare, very few parents would want to leave their kid with someone who has never learned discipline methods other than spanking. Even parents who spank their own kids usually don't want others to do it. We're really trivializing both of these jobs when we assume that the Duggars could easily do either.

I wonder how much training you have to do to be a volunteer EMT? Don't some of the Bates kids do that, including at least one girl? Since its clear that none of the Duggar girls are going to be employed gainfully, I wonder if this would be a way for the parents to claim that their daughters are 'working' even if they never actually get inside of the ambulance other than to clean it.

I am a New York State certified EMT. In NY state, ALL EMT's must be certified, which requires 180 hours of class work, a practical skills exam, and a written state exam. You MUST complete the course, and pass both tests to become an EMT. The vast majority of emergency health service workers are volunteers, but that simply means that they care enough to serve others for free. Hear that, Duggars?

I do not know what Arkansas mandates for their EMT's, but I am certain that some medical training would be required.

A Duggar would be welcome to clean the ambulance, but go on calls? HAHAHA :laughing-lettersrofl:

And I often feel like people underestimate the careers of both nursing and childcare when they suggest that the J'slaves could do them. It takes more than a "servant's heart" and work ethic. Neither is an easy job to do, and it's even harder to do them well. Nursing isn't just about following doctors orders and passing out food trays. It takes a lot of medical and scientific knowledge that the Duggars simply do not have. It's not an easy job that you can just do as a fun little side project to bring in a little extra money. And with childcare, very few parents would want to leave their kid with someone who has never learned discipline methods other than spanking. Even parents who spank their own kids usually don't want others to do it. We're really trivializing both of these jobs when we assume that the Duggars could easily do either.

This, very much so. Back when I still posted on DWOP (I grew very frustrated with the moderation there and the weird application of the "rules"), I offered my opinion that none of the Duggar girls would have been able to be preschool teacher's at my son's preschool. All of the teachers had degrees in early childhood education, and took continuing ed courses as well. The only job one of them could do was perhaps as an assistant in the classroom, for minimum wage. Even then, their lack of knowledge or experience with currently accepted discipline and childhood education would probably have gotten them passed over during the interview process. I was disturbed by the attitude of some posters toward preschool teachers - basically describing them as sitting around "babysitting" all day, then going home and having a bunch of drinks and complaining about those "damn kids." That was their concept of the type of person who went into preschool education - unless of course it was a Duggar girl. Yikes!

I think the Jslaves lives might be like this but without helpful mice and a fairy godmother and Prince Charming never arrives to whisk anyone away. :(

eFM2DCfKz0I

When I took anatomy, my professor told us to disregard the Biblical passage that said God took a rib from Adam, blew on it, and created Eve. Men and women, she said, have the same number of ribs (and this was at a Catholic university). If Jill actually went to a real college, she'd learn stuff like that. What? You're not supposed to take everything in the Bible literally? If the Bible is wrong about that, could it be wrong (or open to interpretation) about other things? She might actually begin to Question Things Around Her.

Ah, an anatomy class might throw the rib into question, but when I raised this with a fundie-lite her anwer was that the rib was DNA, meaning the X chromosome and that bible translators and keepers of scripture lacked the understanding of DNA and so used the word rib. So, in her mind, women are lesser than men because men have and X and Y chromosome and women only have X chromosomes and the bible account of the creation of females is accurate.

Archived