IGNORED

So, what do the older Duggar daughters do all day??

CustardTart

They obviously do chores, help other fundies, pray, and read the Bible if mommy sees that their chores are done, doncha know? The boys, on the other hand, can read the Bible any time they want and play all day! They can also crochet/sew baby clothes with mommy and help daddy shave his beard if they make appointments, too according to Dougie!! *is disgusted*

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jill were allowed to take remedial classes at a community college, she might stand a chance of being able to get in. But that's it: she would have to be allowed to go to a real college and be permitted to focus on her school work. The chances of that are slim. Nursing school is a TON of work, plus you have to do your clinicals and do your time as a student-nurse in the hospital. Essentially, she would not be able to be a sister mom, and we all know that that would never be allowed.

And that's a good point: she would have to be able to handle naked men. Further, she would most likely have to administer care that may be against Gothard values. That would never be allowed.

I always think that Jim Boob and MIchelle mentioned that their adult children were planning to go to college (and had the adult children do the same) due to backlash and criticism when Michelle said that they do not encourage their children to go to college.

I will streak naked at a Gothard convention if Jill ever gets a degree from an accredited nursing program (not some online diploma mill type school but a real brick and mortar one) or if Josh takes the LSAT and gets into a non-Gothard law school or if ANY of the Duggar children get a degree (from an accredited institution).

The better questions is what does Michelle do all day? All of the work made her break down and cry when she had only 6 or 7 kids, and now she's content to let her daughters have the same amount of work that she couldn't handle herself.

Have sex. Prepare her body for pregnancy. Her soul focus in life is birthing children. :evil:

I will streak naked at a Gothard convention if...

Bwahaha! We should have a bunch of FreeJingers "infiltrate" the next Gothard convention! Hahahahaha!!!!

It's sad because it seems like they don't even have friends to hang out with just to get out of the house. No going to the movies, no mall. How can normal young people stand it? That's why I'm thinking this whole thing must be fear-based. They fear for their souls and of displeasing God that they're paralyzed. I mean, what more do they have to learn about house-cleaning and child-rearing? They know it all already from doing it all their lives. They should be out doing things without siblings. I wonder what psychologists would say about this. Even frum Jewish girls hang out with girlfriends in the Kosher pizza shops. I truly feel for the Duggar girls. There's no way they can be happy in their hearts. They just keep telling themselves that they're happy, but I think it's a lie.

Saying you're going to do something is different than actually doing it. There are times where I wonder if fundie children just claim "Oh, I plan on becoming a nurse" to shut up critics, when in reality, they're just taught to be a housewife and a mother. Just for applying to ATI, a wife has to agree to quit her job and become a stay at home wife so that she can focus completely on her children and have their attention. So, if you spend years becoming a doctor or a nurse, it'll go down the drain once you get married and start a family.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a homemaker for the rest of your life, if that's YOUR decision and not something that's been drilled into you.

I laugh at Smuggar becoming a lawyer. The idiot would still run on Duggar time when he has to arrive to court at a specific time. He has no work ethic and thinks the world revolves around him. Good for him for running his "own" business (we all know it's not really his), but majority of the time, either he's not there cos he's too busy promoting Frothy or arrives to work at his own time.

I always think that Jim Boob and MIchelle mentioned that their adult children were planning to go to college (and had the adult children do the same) due to backlash and criticism when Michelle said that they do not encourage their children to go to college.

I will streak naked at a Gothard convention if Jill ever gets a degree from an accredited nursing program (not some online diploma mill type school but a real brick and mortar one) or if Josh takes the LSAT and gets into a non-Gothard law school or if ANY of the Duggar children get a degree (from an accredited institution).

I really wish that one of them would leave and take Oprah up on the paid college tuition/expenses. I would even be happy for Josh to get into law school and have Oprah pay for it. Even if he went to the homeschool Mecca of a law school, Patrick Henry College! (Its still more liberal then his christian bubble life. )

But the sad thing is I doubt that would be option. Discovery is the parent company to OWN.

I'm pretty sure they still have chore packs. As long as they still have buddies, they have plenty of work to do around the house. It wasn't that long ago that Michelle did one of those "How Stuff Works" segments about organizing the house, with all the "children's" chores on it.

In some ways, I think those girls must and should be bored out of their minds everyday. I know I would go crazy due to the lack of intellectual stimulation in that house. Realistically, I wonder if that is the case for them since all they really know is being a housewife, which they are, just without the hubby sex.

They aren't like us. They don't know what it is like to go to the mall with friends or go to the library and geek out like me over all the new books on the shelves. They dont know what it is like to freely search the internet and check Free Jinger multiple times a day because this site is addicting. They have no idea what it is like to make decisions about your day that don't involve household duties set by your parents. I am sure they get bored but not necessarily for the reasons we do. We know what is out there and what they are missing. For the most part, I don't think they would understand how the rest of us live. A free day for me is sleeping in, eating leftover pizza and trying to convince myself that if I stay in my PJs doing laundry won't be necessary. I don't think they get free days other than the ones pushed by TLC for filming purposes.

As to Jill, I doubt that she is never going to be a real nurse. No real nursing school is going to take her. College Minus cannot prepare her for nursing school. Jill seems sweet but I am not sure that she is the sharpest knife in drawer. I don't think she even knows what it requires. My grandmother was an RN and showed me that it takes more than being a sweet person to do the job. It is hard work and the education required is not easy. Nursing school is competitive and highly qualified people are rejected everyday. If this is something she really wants, she can do it, but it is going to take more than the SOTDRT and College Minus to get her there. She is going to have to start from scratch, and I mean by starting with getting a real high school education, in order to get herself on par with everyone else applying. Besides, nursing school will require her to interact with male adult patients, touch them and see them naked. We know this behavior is not allowed in their world.

I really like your post. Good points on the Duggar girls not being like most people. Their lives are completely controlled by Boob and Mullet, some of the things they do outside the home are likely approved by their parent(e. g mission trips etc).

I agree Jill doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife and she is also dumb about a lot of things outside of academics. I will never forget her dumb ass comment in one episode about how her parents are so great because they didn't kick her out after high school and that "most" parents kick their kids out to go to college. Jill doesn't realize that some 18 year old choose to move away for college and there are non-fundie young women and men her age still living at home.

You need a four year degree before you even get into law school, so I don't even see how smugs could pull that off.

I'm might be wrong, but I remember hearing something that he was using CollegePlus to get some CLEP credits towards a bachelor's degree.

...and help daddy shave his beard if they make appointments, too according to Dougie!! *is disgusted*

Whaaaat?! Not the beard-shaving, I know they do that. Appointments?!?!

I'm might be wrong, but I remember hearing something that he was using CollegePlus to get some CLEP credits towards a bachelor's degree.

Those credits are good at one university whose credits and degrees don't transfer anywhere.

Those credits are good at one university whose credits and degrees don't transfer anywhere.

Only one (unaccredited IIRC) school will issue a degree based on credits from CollegeMinus, but a lot of schools will accept CLEP credits. Of course, you're limited in how many credits they will take, and for what courses or majors they can count.

And of course, this is Smuggar we're talking about. The chances that he's actually studying anything besides an Arby's menu are pretty damn small.

As several posters have mentioned, nursing schools are highly competitive and require a LOT of work.

I am just a few credits shy of a degree in Health Sciences, consistently on the Dean's List (I was also recently invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society :) :oops: ), and have a cumulative GPA of slightly over 3.8. Even with all of that going for me, I may not be accepted to nursing school. My understanding is that every year they receive approximately 200 applications for 90 open spots. :(

I have had to take some fairly difficult classes (with many more in my future), and cannot imagine ANY of the Duggar girls passing Anatomy/Physiology, Medical Terminology, Chemistry, etc., let alone excelling at them. They simply don't have the educational base required.

ETA: I just realized I misspelled "honor" LMAO - oh, the irony! :lol:

Oh I remembered another pass time the girlz might enjoy: memorizing scripture! Woooooooooo!

Hey, if they are good at memorizing the bible they may be good at memorizing all the stuff you need to know for real school. . . .

Wishful thinking. I know. Sadly, I see most of the older girls living out their young adulthood at home like the Maxwells.

As several posters have mentioned, nursing schools are highly competitive and require a LOT of work.

I am just a few credits shy of a degree in Health Sciences, consistently on the Dean's List (I was also recently invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, an international honer society :) :oops: ), and have a cumulative GPA of slightly over 3.8. Even with all of that going for me, I may not be accepted to nursing school. My understanding is that every year they receive approximately 200 applications for 90 open spots. :(

I have had to take some fairly difficult classes (with many more in my future), and cannot imagine ANY of the Duggar girls passing Anatomy/Physiology, Medical Terminology, Chemistry, etc., let alone excelling at them. They simply don't have the educational base required.

Does anyone know how competitive AR nursing programs are? Do any private schools offer RN for a big price tag? I know where I live nursing is so competitive. It is easier to get into medical school((my ex went to med school & would have not gotten into nursing school). The nursing school has a 4 year wait list and that is after you have to have near perfect grades, volunteer hours, and recommendations. The biggest reason is they can't find instructors for the classes. Who wants to make 50k a year teaching when you can make over 100k a year as a NP.

Oh I remembered another pass time the girlz might enjoy: memorizing scripture! Woooooooooo!

Hey, if they are good at memorizing the bible they may be good at memorizing all the stuff you need to know for real school. . . .

Wishful thinking. I know. Sadly, I see most of the older girls living out their young adulthood at home like the Maxwells.

They're still probably having a lot more fun than the Maxwells are.

Slick, unless I misread the College Minus site, there was something about the specific CLEPs being for that one university. Either way, it's a sham. It's something anyone can do on their own for free.

Also licensed nursing is easier to get into than RN programs. Yeah, good luck getting looked at twice to get into an RN program. I looked into it (the RV program) for curiosity once, and just to apply for the program you had to first apply for the "pre-program," as the counselor called it, which is the pre-reqs. To get into that, you have to go through a vetting process that includes everything from several letters of recommendation to a background check to a financial stability check. From there, if your grades are high enough, then you apply for the actual program, and the application is even more stringent.

I'd be devastated working my ass off for a pre-program and then not make it to the next level.

But the LVN/LPN program isn't easy to get into either. It's a hair easier, but still tough.

I don't think any of the Duggar girls could cut it. Medical science acknowledged evolution and requires touching naked men, things they could not handle.

I think that when a fundie daughter like Jill says she wants to become a nurse, it doesn't mean what we think it does. She has no intention of working even a part-time job in the standard sense. She plans to learn some nursing skills that will be useful within her own fundie community and nowhere else. It's a good selling point for potential courters if she is a "birthing assistant" or unlicensed, unqualified midwife. Her only jobs would be helping her relatives and her husband's relatives, and she wouldn't work for outsiders or "worldly" people. And learning things about first aid and basic care would make her more valuable to a potential husband because she could use it to care for him and their zillion kids so they would save tons of money by not going to the doctor. She doesn't need an accredited degree because she'll never have a paying job as long as she stays in that lifestyle. It's the same thing with Anna getting some worthless degree in early childhood education. She had no intention of becoming a teacher or even starting a home daycare/preschool. But it did make her more desirable to Smugs because she will be responsible for homeschooling her own children. Maybe when the money gets tight she can give tutoring, but only to other fundies.

In my state, LPN's can't do much, and the pay scale isn't that appealing either.

I did have to take pre-reqs, so I decided while I was at it, I might as well get a degree. I'll have two associate degrees when I transfer to the BSN program at our local four year university (which I could actually get into now - funny thing is that it's easier to get in there than the straight RN program!). The same university offers a Doctorate in Nursing, which is my ultimate goal.

Yes, it's true, the girls would have to touch men they aren't married or related to! The horror! Actually, just becoming a real, licensed EMT requires that you (gasp) touch people, and we all know how ebil that is! (I have my NYS EMT license).

I am just a few credits shy of a degree in Health Sciences, consistently on the Dean's List (I was also recently invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society :) :oops: ), and have a cumulative GPA of slightly over 3.8. Even with all of that going for me, I may not be accepted to nursing school. My understanding is that every year they receive approximately 200 applications for 90 open spots. :(

ETA: I just realized I misspelled "honor" LMAO - oh, the irony! :lol:

ITA agree about the difficulty in getting into nursing schools - I have a BS in Molecular biology, and when I was laid off last summer I took Anatomy and Physiology in order to apply for nursing school. Despite getting a 3.8 and a 97.2 on the entrance exam, I wasn't accepted into the local community college program.... and they routinely have 150 applicants for 32 spaces. Yikes!

Archived