IGNORED

That Wife shares her thoughts on homosexuality...

nimerha

...and will likely blow. Your. Fucking. Mind.

thatwifeblog.com/2012/02/the-awakening-homosexuality/

Or not. I don't know. The more I read this woman the more I want to weep that she was born into LDS. Can you imagine her if she didn't force herself into an unhappy marriage, didn't have a kid she was desperately unprepared for, didn't have a culture dictating how to live her life to be perfect?

She might have been a kinda cool girl. Childish, vain as all fuck, but still kinda cool. Instead she's the Bathroom Baby Mom and her other recent post (thatwifeblog.com/2012/02/shelving-the-toys/) made me want to throw my computer across the room screeching, "Montessori? YOU? You wouldn't fucking know Montessori if I hurled the entire toddler material selection at your head, piece by piece!"

Do you think there's hope for her yet?

I want to believe there is. I want to think that with encouragement, eventually, she'll figure out that she's allowed to have opinions that don't echo the LDS masses. (So, so tempted to email her Lewis's posts on religious addiction, too... but I haven't.)

"The Awakening" series of posts really seems to be a genuine soul-searching and questioning process.

I think it would be awesome if she would put T1 in good-quality childcare, do more professional photography and have some time to spend growing spiritually and intellectually. If she got out of the house, T1 could move out of the bathroom and finally get a proper bedroom, and TW would probably be better with him if she wasn't around him all day.

When That Wife makes a post like this, I want to pull the same maneuver on her that some people here do with AD (immediately reminding her of the resources she should be contacting to do something about her and her sister's situation)

My reaction to anything That Wife posts, no matter how soul-searching or relatively progressive, is simply- have you stopped making your baby sleep in the bathroom? Have you given him more toys? Have you hired another therapist to work with him for his delays? If not, stop worrying about homosexuality or women in the workplace and do right by your damn kid first.

About her Montessori post, she clearly is confused about what that big Italian word means. My oldest went to Montessori preschool and it was filled with toys, all at the child's level. Little wooden toys as far as the eye can see! Her whole thing about him having only three toys would have made Maria Montessori flip the fuck out.

She makes her kid sleep in a bathroom? Link?

I don't have the link but yes, her son sleeps in a bathroom. Poor thing is actually known as Bathroom Baby on the web. He might still sleep in a pack-n-play in there, even though he's almost two. And That Wife does live in a large 2-bedroom apartment so it’s not an issue of space, they just didn't want to move the computers they have in the other bedroom to make room for their son.

As well as making her baby sleep in the bathroom, That Wife is also infamous for caging him off in a corner for most of the day while she does photography and other things online (she's a SAHM) and only allowing him 5 toys (which might be down to three), some of which seem age-inappropriate. He has been diagnosed with, at the very least, speech delays (not surprising since she ignores him to the point of neglect, imo) and she fired the developmental therapist who was working with him, irrc, because she claims the therapist wouldn’t work with their schedule (again, she’s a SAHM who sits on the computer and ignores her son all day) I don’t know if he’s still working with the speech therapist. She also seems to have extreme difficulty understanding what is developmentally appropriate for a child and struggles with even knowing how to play with her own son. Last I recall, she was planning to leave her son with her parents for a few months (a year?) to go play co-ed at some college.

On the non-baby side of her craziness, she also got her husband to marry her with a power point presentation that basically amounted to, “Here are all the reasons you should get married. And since I’m the nearest willing woman, why not marry me?†Her husband also locks up the cheese when he goes to work so she won’t pig out and get fat (iirc, he wouldn’t marry her until she lost weight)

About her Montessori post, she clearly is confused about what that big Italian word means. My oldest went to Montessori preschool and it was filled with toys, all at the child's level. Little wooden toys as far as the eye can see! Her whole thing about him having only three toys would have made Maria Montessori flip the fuck out.

She has no fucking clue. My partner is actually a Montessori educator - Head of School now, and so I've dipped a toe in the system a bit, but just enough to know that I really don't know shit compared to Montessori teachers and educators. We have rows and rows of books and albums on the theory of education, child development, abstracts of math and language. The fact that people just buy some pretty wooden toys, display it on a low shelf and call themselves Montessori, makes my blood boil. But the name was never copyrighted in any way and any schmuck can call themselves that, even schools and daycares, so poor Maria is probably spinning nonstop anyway.

Archived