IGNORED

Oprah Nuns Episode?

Daenerys

No but I will say, I know a lot of people affiliated with the group that started the convent in Michigan. You should read about it online, Tom Monaghan (the founder of Domino's) is the financial backer for most of the crazy conservative Catholic stuff that goes on up there. It is a cult, for real yo. It's called "Word of God" and they're completely insane. Here's the wikipedia about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_God_(community)

No but I will say, I know a lot of people affiliated with the group that started the convent in Michigan. You should read about it online, Tom Monaghan (the founder of Domino's) is the financial backer for most of the crazy conservative Catholic stuff that goes on up there. It is a cult, for real yo. It's called "Word of God" and they're completely insane. Here's the wikipedia about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_God_(community)

I do not think The Dominican Sisters of Mary have any relationship with the Word of God community in Ann Arbor. When I lived and worked in Ann Arbor I had a few co-workers from Word of God, which I think started first at Notre Dame, and those people were really insane.

I do not think The Dominican Sisters of Mary have any relationship with the Word of God community in Ann Arbor. When I lived and worked in Ann Arbor I had a few co-workers from Word of God, which I think started first at Notre Dame, and those people were really insane.

They don't directly, no. That's correct. However, they are all intertwined. I, too lived near there and was involved in the Catholic community. I heard about a lot of crazy stuff that went on through the grapevine. The DSoM also have a few grade schools that are pretty conservative and strict. It's crazy to me how liberal that area is to have such a conservative Catholic population, too.

They don't directly, no. That's correct. However, they are all intertwined. I, too lived near there and was involved in the Catholic community. I heard about a lot of crazy stuff that went on through the grapevine. The DSoM also have a few grade schools that are pretty conservative and strict. It's crazy to me how liberal that area is to have such a conservative Catholic population, too.

That always surprised me too. Ann Arbor is so liberal and then there's this pocket of ultra conservative Catholics.

If anyone knows of any other nun programmes, please say! I have a weird obsession with this group of people. I saw a really good BBC show about two aspiring nuns, but that's the only other one I have ever seen.

Here's a whole bunch of clips from that episode; it's a really great one!

http://myown.oprah.com/search/index.htm ... ideo_oprah

I am really interested in nuns, too. There's an Australian miniseries about nuns during Vatican II that's really good, called Brides of Christ. You have to get the dvd's, though. It has a young Naomi Watts, and Russel Crowe, too. :) Other than that, there's a lot of fantastic nun blogs out there. Recently, I came across this post, which has some really striking images of a Passionist nun's profession of vows:

http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/2011 ... you-apart/

There's also a relatively recent documentary called No Greater Love, about an order of Carmelite nuns. It looks good, but I haven't seen it. Here's the website:

http://www.nogreaterlove.co.uk/frames.html

I am really interested in nuns, too. There's an Australian miniseries about nuns during Vatican II that's really good, called Brides of Christ. You have to get the dvd's, though. It has a young Naomi Watts, and Russel Crowe, too. :) Other than that, there's a lot of fantastic nun blogs out there. Recently, I came across this post, which has some really striking images of a Passionist nun's profession of vows:

http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/2011 ... you-apart/

Cool! I'm definitely going to look at that blog. I got distracted and ended up on a novitiate's (I think that's what she is now) blog from when she was discerning. She didn't post that often so it was easy to go back and read through her discernment process (if you skip all the posts where she has texts of prayers/homilies) which was totally interesting. She definitely has that fundy writing style going on though. What is up with them and using archaic terms/style? I go to a Catholic college and know some guys who are considering becoming priests and they are nothing like that... then again our school is run by the ebil Jesuits...

quantitativemetathesis.blogspot.com

There is a documentary about a 19-year old Swedish girl who joins a Carmelite convent right after her hs graduation. Fascinating story. Don't know if it can be found online.

http://svt.se/2.76904/1.935761/

http://www.amazon.com/Nun-Story-Carmeli ... B004969764

My older son had a classmate who entered a cloistered Carmelite convent right out of high school. She's been there 15 years. Her Dad is a fireman, her mother a SAHM. Dad is fun and down to earth. Mom is a tad on the looney side, full of religiosity.

Two boys from the same class went on to become priests. This particular high school has produced more priests than any other high school in MN. And a good number of religious sisters and at least one nun.

I always thought that if I'd been raised Catholic, I'd have ended up a nun. To this day, I have a fascination with that life. Which is a little odd, because I'm hardcore liberal agnostic.

I saw it a few years ago. Someone posted the clips to YouTube, but it's probably been taken down by now. IIRC, the nuns seemed pretty relaxed, they were reading and playing cards. (But who knows this could have been staged or something). I toyed with the idea of becoming a nun when I was little. I think I had a romanticized idea of it. But then I realized it was nothing like Sister Act and they monitored what you read, did etc.

Oprah also did an episode where she went inside the Yearning for Zion FLDS compound that they raided. It was interesting, but very packaged.

I saw it a few years ago. Someone posted the clips to YouTube, but it's probably been taken down by now. IIRC, the nuns seemed pretty relaxed, they were reading and playing cards. (But who knows this could have been staged or something). I toyed with the idea of becoming a nun when I was little. I think I had a romanticized idea of it. But then I realized it was nothing like Sister Act and they monitored what you read, did etc.

Oprah also did an episode where she went inside the Yearning for Zion FLDS compound that they raided. It was interesting, but very packaged.

I thought that that episode was set up to fail: Oprah is black, and the FLDS are on record saying how black people go to hell and are of the devil kind of thing. So sending someone who the people of the compound regard as the embodiment of Satan isn't exactly going to make them likely to open up.

I thought that that episode was set up to fail: Oprah is black, and the FLDS are on record saying how black people go to hell and are of the devil kind of thing. So sending someone who the people of the compound regard as the embodiment of Satan isn't exactly going to make them likely to open up.

Exactly, and they consider the media sinful and against them. Of course they are going to just deny any accusations and say things like, "We have a choice in who we marry", "Women are respected here" because they know it's expected.

I've watched the Oprah episode and the Swedish documentary before - the one I watched was on late, late at night and did have subtitles. Who knows, maybe one day I will become a nun!

Archived