IGNORED

Duggar Article on Yahoo News

supernova8610

I just think that even if you were mainstream Christian, you'd find the Duggars wacko... But then, I've dated an evangelical Christian... And it's been my observation that they live with a constant sense of still being persecuted. It made me laugh. I remember the ex talking about other countries where converted Christians are being killed for their beliefs. This may be the truth, but the way he stated it... I immediately pictured lions and Christians in the Collesseum in Rome. It seemed funny to me because Christianity is one of the biggest, most practiced religions on the planet. Persecution? PLEASE. Try growing up atheist and we'll talk about persecution... I had to closet myself for many years.

So, anyway, it must be that anyone attacking any Christian causes these Christians to feel personally attacked... even if they don't agree with the Christians in question. I just hate this whole "Oh, pity me. I stand for my faith and it's always getting persecuted." line.

I know several mainstream Christians who find the Duggars and other fundie families to be wacko. My friend has an uncle who is a UMC pastor and he loathes the Duggars for various reasons. Sometime back my friend was having a party for her daughter and her uncle was there. The uncle watches 19KAC to laugh and snark at the Duggars. He said he was annoyed by the Q&A episode in which the Duggars said they use the show to "minister." He said that in some ways he viewed it as an insult because he and other ministers go through various methods of education and training to become ministers.

There are some mainstream Christians that like the Duggars, but some of these people don't know about Gothard and ATI.

Another comment to laugh at.

I am always amazed by the ignorance of many fellow Americans. While having 19 children is not the life I would choose to have, this family follows the teachings of the Bible {remember Christianity~ that little thing America was predominately founded upon}. The Duggars aren't just pew sisters; they live out their faith every day. They harm no one, the children are healthy, responsible, and well adjusted. I am personally grateful to TLC for airing this show. Lets face it everyone, how many other shows out there showcase Christian values? If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you think they are doing something wrong based on your own biases and non evidenced opinions, remember "Let He who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7)

3 Replies Oops! Try again.

I think labeling the Duggar kids responsible is dumb in some ways. Out of the older boys, John and Joseph seem to be hardworking. Josh is always leaving the car lot to travel around. The older Duggar girls are responsible at home, but none of them have the skills to make it in the real world.

There's something weird about the Duggars' charisma. If an article is all supportive of them, most of the commenters critique them. But if it's a critical article of them, commenters defend them. Sometimes it seems like their trying to hypnotize commenters into prasing them by only showing what they think is positive about their cult.

They harm no one? They support a politician who wants to take away women's reproductive rights. They broadcast their children's private moments for the world to see. They crammed a camera crew along with all of their children into a hospital room with a fragile micropreemie who was struggling to survive. They all but stripped Grandpa Dugger of his privacy and dignity by airing footage of him when he was very ill and even broadcasting his funeral for all to see. Michelle, rather than provide comfort, filmed her frightened and injured son with her camera phone, and flashing a Miss America smile to the camera as he was taken to the ambulance. And, to top it off, they exploit the death of Jubilee to push an agenda, even filming and broadcasting (or will broadcast anyway) the funeral (where they passed out fliers with pictures of their miscarried baby/fetus. Yeah, they don't harm anyone at all :roll:

Edited to add: If anyone thinks they raise responsible children, one look at Josh's twitter should clear that right up!

Another comment to laugh at.

I think labeling the Duggar kids responsible is dumb in some ways. Out of the older boys, John and Joseph seem to be hardworking. Josh is always leaving the car lot to travel around. The older Duggar girls are responsible at home, but none of them have the skills to make it in the real world.

Wow, too many ways to go with that one. America was founded on Christianity? Guess my non-Christian ass has just been visiting for the past 28 years then, as I'm clearly not an American. Or better yet, I'm a terrorist, as the above-mentioned friend's uncle once accused me. And that nice little John quote - how quickly fundies forget that one when it comes to, well, just about everything. The right has lots of legislative stones to hurl at LGBT folks, women, minorities, pretty much anyone who doesn't fit their profile.

Wow, too many ways to go with that one. America was founded on Christianity? Guess my non-Christian ass has just been visiting for the past 28 years then, as I'm clearly not an American. Or better yet, I'm a terrorist, as the above-mentioned friend's uncle once accused me. And that nice little John quote - how quickly fundies forget that one when it comes to, well, just about everything. The right has lots of legislative stones to hurl at LGBT folks, women, minorities, pretty much anyone who doesn't fit their profile.

These people need a history lesson. America was not "founded" on Christianity. Native Americans--aka non-christians--were here first. Then Christian folk came over and stole the land to form colonies.

Not even Christian folk. The founding fathers were Deists... among other things. They're all turning in their graves right now... seeing as they fought hard for separation of church and state....

There's something weird about the Duggars' charisma. If an article is all supportive of them, most of the commenters critique them. But if it's a critical article of them, commenters defend them. Sometimes it seems like their trying to hypnotize commenters into prasing them by only showing what they think is positive about their cult.

You are supposed to praise your fans 10 more times than you correct them. :mrgreen:

Not even Christian folk. The founding fathers were Deists... among other things. They're all turning in their graves right now... seeing as they fought hard for separation of church and state....

Someone else who payed attention in history class!

And, having an English degree, I'm familiar with much of the founding fathers' writings. :)

I love so much how fundie Christians re-write history to their convenience (when the part of "history" they want to refer to is not listed in the Bible).

Oh, man, I have many fundie insights, having dated an evangelical Christian. The only thing good that came from that unlikely relationship was an in-depth study of the evangelical/fundie mindset...

Like once I pointed out that marriage was just originally just basically a business contract so that the male could gain something from the union. Said ex told me I was making up history, that marriage was *always* about two people loving each other.

I'm Christian (though personally I've found myself leaning more towards the Deist model lately) and I am absolutely repulsed by the Duggars. My mother's a more devout Christian than I am and she's also disgusted by them and their ilk. Like she always says, "My God doesn't discriminate or hate others. God is about love." And I certainly don't see lots of love coming from that family, despite what their stans think!

And yes. "America was founded as a Christian nation!" While some of the founders were fairly devout (John Adams), others didn't turn to faith until later in life (Alexander Hamilton) or were Deists who didn't believe in Christ's divinity (Benjamin Franklin). Some of the original settlers left England because they didn't like that England's monarch was the head of the Church and when the Constitution was set up, separation of church and state was in there along with the establishment clause saying the government will NOT establish an official religion over everyone. I guess American history is glossed over at the SOTDRT.

I saw this article at work and loved it, finally seeing something that's critical of the Duggars!

I really liked the way he cut through the BS and pointed out TLC's manipulation and lack of ethics. But I hate the fact that he refers to M as a "broodmare". It's dehumanizing and a cheap shot.

It's what she's become. It's dehumanizing how the whole cult operates. Women aren't people. They are property. Their sole purpose in this world is to have as many babies as they can, even if it kills them trying for just one more. Unlike calling a mother with one child a "moo" as an insult against mothers in general, calling M a "broodmare" is respective of her own choices and how she is willing to drop in the saddle having as many "arrows" as she can.

I shared this article and one of my friends was all "Well I've read their books and they specifically say they aren't quiverfull and don't follow Gothard" Ugh open your eyes, google is your friend. I never expected her of all people to be a hardcore Duggar defender :(

I shared this article and one of my friends was all "Well I've read their books and they specifically say they aren't quiverfull and don't follow Gothard" Ugh open your eyes, google is your friend. I never expected her of all people to be a hardcore Duggar defender :(

Ugh. Seriously, people, if it quacks like a cult...

That was a surprising article. It covered all the Duggar low points that no one in the mainstream media ever seems to talk about. Right on 8-)

RE: American being founded on Christianity:

I disagree, but sometimes I wonder why I should give a flying fuck what America was founded on. People in the 18th century had no idea what life would be like today, and we have over 200 years more experience. Sure, we can honor our traditions, but the founding fathers were not gods. I'm more concerned about our LAWS, like the separation of church and state.

As for needing a place to see Christian values, I have them shoved up my pa-toot every single day.

I know what you mean, I had a friend defending them too even after I mentioned how I can't stand them. "Well, it's a big family, of course the older girls are going to pitch in and help!" When I explained to her that they've been doing the brunt of the childcare since, like, age 8, that did seem to make her rethink her stance though. She also agreed Jim Boob was a tool, which was reassuring.

I always laugh at the Duggar defenders who believe that they aren't affiliated with Gothard or the QF movement. The Duggars use to have a link to quiverfull.com on their site a few years back and pictures of them at Gothard/ATI affiliated events are on different websites.

Heal there are episodes of them going to ati events! How can people overlook that? My personal favorite dd remark was someone telling of i mixed the duggars up with the gosselins because the duggars DONT use ties paychecks to live on. ALL TWENTY ONE IN TO MISSIONS! I didnt bother responding because you cant argue with stupid and they probably wouldn't believe that i dont know or case who the other family is.

Yeah, I dont get this... how can you not associate them with Gothard/ATI when they have indeed FILMED SHOWS at ATI conferences?!?!?! HELLO!!!! (And how could anyone overlook that boys army camp thing?? I cant remember what they were called. But the boys were taking part in it at an ATI conference. I'm watching going, "OMG... onward Christian soldiers, much??" And Michelle played it off like it was just good fun for boys. But I know what they were up to!!! Bring on Judgement Day, all.)

Find the "Tonight's Episode" thread. Visionary screencapped what he could and dictated it onto the thread. It was gateway Gothard. It's sick, but nothing compared to what Gothard has on his website about his law for wives.

And . . . . we have a Godwin!

This is the worst article I have ever read. The kind of hatred that fills Richard Lawson's heart against decency must the same kind of hatred that filled Adolph Hitler's heart against the Jews.

Actually, there are probably lots of them in there, but I didn't read everything.

I just don't get Holocaust comparisons, or more importantly why people are so eager to compare so much random shit to the Holocaust. It stands alone and I hope to God there is never anything ever comparable to it ever again. /end rant

Archived