IGNORED

Santorum to Sick Boy: Stop Buying Ipads

roddma

That's awful. But, out of curiosity, what medication for schizophrenia costs one million dollars?

*OK, I read the article. I think the mother is exaggerating. Even without insurance, Abilify costs no more than $550 or so a month. Unless he's taking many times the maximum recommended dose. (And by many times, I mean 150 times.)

Even I know that Abilify and other anti-psychs don't cost a million dollars in the USA. I am wondering though is the mother counting the entire cost of her son's treatment? In-patient hospital stays, support, out patient visits, consultations, prescriptions, tests etc. Could that come to a million dollars?

In any case, Santorum is a twat of the highest order.

Even I know that Abilify and other anti-psychs don't cost a million dollars in the USA. I am wondering though is the mother counting the entire cost of her son's treatment? In-patient hospital stays, support, out patient visits, consultations, prescriptions, tests etc. Could that come to a million dollars?

In any case, Santorum is a twat of the highest order.

As far as I know, even the very most expensive, self-pay residential program is usually no more than $1,000-$1500 per day, all-inclusive. Inpatient hospital treatment is about the same, although insurance of one kind or another will usually cover a ton of that (and if it doesn't, people often work with the hospital to bargain the cost down.) Anything short of full-time inpatient or residential treatment would NEVER come close to that much....and it's still far from a million dollars.

Abilify can be very expensive...it's about $600/month without insurance. (How do I know this? A relative is on Medicare Part D and ends up in the "donut hole" every year due to Abilify.)

That said, Santorum is a twat of the highest order, because what KID is going to be able to come up with that kind of money? $600 or $1 million--if you don't have a job and don't have insurance, getting $600 might as well be like getting $1 million.

I think it's sick as a country that we'll deny proven, lifesaving medical care to people because of cost. I am not talking about experimental treatments, I'm talking about stuff that works. And the people who do it are the ones who put themselves forward as the most holy, most righteous, most....

Life is so precious to these jerks, so so so so precious, and then we're born.

:orcs-censored:

The people who can afford $900 for an iPad are not the same people who cannot afford $900 for drugs to keep themselves alive. He seems like a parody.

I am so thankful to be Canadian. So far at least, we view health care as a human right, unlike the GOP who views healthcare as a commodity. This man doesn't really think he has a shot at the presidency, does he?

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I don't understand why ANYONE votes for him.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Being Christian does not automatically make you a good person.

Frothy (I need something more vile to describe how I'm feeling right now) needs to get his :violence-smack: frakkin' ass handed to him.

You would think someone who calls themself a Christian would have some compassion....

Strike that....You would think that a person who has a child with a fatal genetic condition, who just had the taxpayers pick up a HUGE bull, would have some compassion, empathy, and you know....not be a fucktard.

And even if the medicine did cost $1 million, how many iPads is the kid buying? Unless he goes through iPads like Kleenex, $1 million could keep quite a few people outfitted with iPads for life. Not a valid comparison.

An Ipad is something you buy one time. I am certain they wouldn't choose one over medicine. Even if the boy had one, the comparison is non-sense.

As far as I know, even the very most expensive, self-pay residential program is usually no more than $1,000-$1500 per day, all-inclusive. Inpatient hospital treatment is about the same, although insurance of one kind or another will usually cover a ton of that (and if it doesn't, people often work with the hospital to bargain the cost down.) Anything short of full-time inpatient or residential treatment would NEVER come close to that much....and it's still far from a million dollars.

I had a 14-day hospital stay a couple of years ago that was roughly $125,000. No surgeries, nothing horribly invasive (though I did require an NG-tube.)

Hospital costs rack up fast, especially since so many docs order unnecessary tests, labs, etc. For mental health care, the patient is still looking at the per-bed cost, plus therapy, plus meds, plus incidentals.

Schizophrenics may need frequent hospitalizations for different reasons, and those bills multiply quickly. Most people with insurance don't look hard at the itemized bill, but those of us with no insurance sure do.

I am so thankful to be Canadian. So far at least, we view health care as a human right, unlike the GOP who views healthcare as a commodity. This man doesn't really think he has a shot at the presidency, does he?

I am convinced he doesn't want to be president anymore, but doesn't want to quit, so is trying to be voted out.

Yeah, the GOP prides themselves on being good Christians. Don't you know Christ would have withheld medical care from the poor? Trufax, if they, the GOP, are like Christ. Meaning they worship a bastard asshole. Or...they aren't like Christ at all and are stupid hypocrites.

I had a 14-day hospital stay a couple of years ago that was roughly $125,000. No surgeries, nothing horribly invasive (though I did require an NG-tube.)

Hospital costs rack up fast, especially since so many docs order unnecessary tests, labs, etc. For mental health care, the patient is still looking at the per-bed cost, plus therapy, plus meds, plus incidentals.

Schizophrenics may need frequent hospitalizations for different reasons, and those bills multiply quickly. Most people with insurance don't look hard at the itemized bill, but those of us with no insurance sure do.

Yeah, I paid 10K for less than 1 day in the hospital. No treatments exception stopping a hemorrhage.

I am on 'topomax' used off label. For over a year I could not get my insurance to pay for it and I needed to 'find' $350 a month or face depression and worse. I found the money but trust me, we went without so much for that year. I was so happy when the drug finally went generic and my insurance decided to cover it.

If someone told me 'just sell your computer' I think I would've gone postal on them- literally.

Yeah, I paid 10K for less than 1 day in the hospital. No treatments exception stopping a hemorrhage.

Sorry, I was talking about psych hospitalizations only. Obviously hospitalizations related to other medical conditions can easily get more expensive...

The "per-bed cost plus therapy plus incidentals" doesn't tend to get much higher than 1.5-2K per day (in programs where you pay out of pocket; for insurance-based inpatient hospitalization they often charge more because they don't get paid back as well by insurance, and because of the 24/7 nursing care etc., so it can creep up as high as 3k+ in some cases. But not close to 10k a day.) Obviously if someone attempts suicide and requires medical treatment for it, that's a different story.

Every time I think I can't possibly hate this douche more, he proves me wrong.

This!

I am convinced he doesn't want to be president anymore, but doesn't want to quit, so is trying to be voted out.

I hope that's it. If he seriously still think's he has a shot at the presidency, then he needs to get himself to an insane asylum.

Logic seems to escape Frothy Poop Lube here. First, iPads are not that expensive. Second, he presenting a false dichotomy by saying that people find it easier to buy expensive gadgets than medication. Those two things are not comparable. Third and most important of all, he is completely unsympathetic to an ill person's financial troubles.

Let's say it's just $1k/day. That's still $30,000 a month.

I just did some research, and if you have insurance that will cover any part of it, then you can expect to pay an average of $1k per day out of pocket. Obviously this number will be more if you don't have insurance that will cover.

Also what I've found says that short-term programs typically cost about twice as much per day as long-term ones since those programs are more intensive and focus on rapid stabilization.

Let's say it's just $1k/day. That's still $30,000 a month.

I just did some research, and if you have insurance that will cover any part of it, then you can expect to pay an average of $1k per day out of pocket. Obviously this number will be more if you don't have insurance that will cover.

Also what I've found says that short-term programs typically cost about twice as much per day as long-term ones since those programs are more intensive and focus on rapid stabilization.

Right, hospitalizations are obviously expensive. But we are trying to calculate whether the total costs of treating the kid's schizophrenia could possibly add up to a million dollars a year. I think it's pretty clear that they couldn't.

Her son is eligible for SSI. Most likely they are eligible for Medicaid and other programs. Abilify is the most expensive anti-psychotic on the market as far as I know. Her son could be changed to an older less expensive med. Psych meds are changed quite often. I have been taking them for nearly 20 years. Psychiatrists work with their patients to find the best drug or mix of drugs at the best price when there is a financial problem. Most doctors will give as many samples as they can as well.

I haven't been in the hospital for a long time, but the cost is low compared to other medical facilities. Seems like the mother lost her temper (who wouldn't with a sick child) and Santorum won't be civilized. He doesn't make sense most of the time anyway. It doesn't matter; he will drop out soon.

Archived