IGNORED

Miniseries Recommendation?

xDreamerx

Can anyone recommend a decent historical miniseries, please? I've got reading week coming up and I feel like watching something like that, but I can't think of anything I haven't seen already.

It's not a historical miniseries, but it's a great little miniseries that I enjoyed, Stephen Fry in America or sometimes referred to as Stephen Fry's America. It's a great little documentary that has Stephen Fry touring the US in a london cab. :)

If you aren't already watching Downton Abbey, get on that.

But I really think you'd enjoy Desperate Romantics. You can buy the entire miniseries on Amazon streaming for like $10. It's about the Pre-Raphaelites (not entirely historically accurate, in that it condenses a several decade long time period into a very short time period, and indulges in a lot of rumor and such for entertainment, but it is entertaining).

But I really think you'd enjoy Desperate Romantics. You can buy the entire miniseries on Amazon streaming for like $10. It's about the Pre-Raphaelites (not entirely historically accurate, in that it condenses a several decade long time period into a very short time period, and indulges in a lot of rumor and such for entertainment, but it is entertaining).

Die hard Downton fan, can't wait for season 3. Although I'm sad it will be the last one. I don't think Canadians can do Amazon streaming, but I'll try and find it elsewhere :) thanks.

Try Cranford and Return to Cranford, both PBS and BBC joint production.

Judi Dench, Jim Carter, Imelda Staunton, Eileen Atkins, fabulous cast, strong capable women

Netflix has some Catherine Cookson miniseries. They were trashy, purple prose romance novels translated into a miniseries. Best one is the Glass House. They're so bad they're good. You might hate them if you dislike 1970s type romance books.

Bramwell is a good BBC series about a woman doctor in 1890s and runs a charity hospital. Goes against the grain female. Very enjoyable.

North & South (BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gatskell) is a great miniseries set in 1840s England. Southern woman relocates to a mill town in the North and learns all the political and cultural differences.

Little Dorrit and Bleak House are great Dickens adaptations.

Pillars of the Earth is pretty epic medieval adaptation.

I second Downton Abbey (or Downtown Abbey, as I've been known to call it :D ). The first season is on Netflix and the second season is on the PBS website - the 2-hour season finale is this Sunday.

I absolutely love this production.

Thorn Birds!

I had no clue that pillars was a miniseries. off to netflix that one right up.

the cheesy patrick swayze "north and south" is good viewing, too. (civil war, best friends divided, steamy clandestine romance, and...well...swayze).

'By Way of the Stars' is a cute Canadian mini starring some of same actors from the 'Road to Avonlea' series (Zachary Bennett, Gema Zamprogna, Michael Mahonen).

Duchess of Duke Street! I hadn't thought about that series in years - I saw it in its original run on BBC when I was at uni in Glasgow. Fascinating look at the pre-WWI Brit "social structure" for an American.

Thorn Birds!

I had no clue that pillars was a miniseries. off to netflix that one right up.

the cheesy patrick swayze "north and south" is good viewing, too. (civil war, best friends divided, steamy clandestine romance, and...well...swayze).

YEEESSSSS!!! To both of these. I was way to young to "get" the Thorn Birds when it first aired, but the second time I saw it I was about 18 and all that angsty forbidden love was right up my alley.

I recomend Sherlock from BBC. It is one of the best made TV-Shows I have ever seen. It feels more like 6 very good movies. :mrgreen:

Archived