IGNORED

Ruth is Requesting Help

keeperrox

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will echo who-ever said to contact the state-level senator/rep's office.

Not universally true, but they have staff whose job is to make constituents happy and help them navigate red-tape.

It's not ideal, but they'll usually see what they can do to expedite things.

Ruth and Rachel-

I'm in MO so not much help with transport. I'm willing to join others in putting some $$ in the tip jar, but it seems like what you need most right now is a plan. Please update then and let me know what I can do to help.

Ruth,

PM me. I can help, and I promise, though I am rabidly pro-adoption, I have alll I can handle, and would not pressure anyone.

If not, I will be thinking of you

I'm in IL - I'm happy to help transit as well, although I don't think I'm on the way. If Rachel ends up on amtrak and goes through Chicago, I'm happy to meet her at Union Station and help her change trains, if needed. I walk through Union Station every day. :)

I'm down in TX (D/FW area) and probably too far afield to be of help directly. But if anyone has any bright ideas that I *could* help with, please get in touch - michael mock (at] mockwriting d0t com.

Where does Rachel need to travel to and from? (I know it's Arkansas to California but do we know specifics that we can share without compromising her safety?) I'm out of the way but I've got nothing to do for a while so I probably would finagle things so that I could drive her part of the way. Is it possible we could ban together to get her across the country? (even if the path is a little zig-zaggy)

I'm in Ohio, so I'm way too far away to help with transport. I did donate through the tip jar. I agree with the recommendation to get her a DV shelter. She needs professionals to help her with this. While Rachel (and possibly Ruth) could be intimidated by Isaiah and his family, DV shelter staff see this all the time. It's hard to ruffle their feathers.

I'm in Kansas, if she needs to meet someone at a Bus Stop or Train stop for reassurance. I would provide food and company if she stops anywhere in the state.

PM me.

I'm in Indiana for the next few months (so probably out of the way...), but I have family and good friends in Phoenix and a couple close friends in Austin and Boulder who I'm sure would be willing to help with transport.

I echo others who have mentioned seeking help at a DV shelter. Transporting her across the country will be much simpler if Rachel has a state-issued ID, a SS#, and possibly a protective order against Isaiah and his family (and perhaps her father as well). The legal staff at a good DV shelter can help with all those issues.

From razingruth's blog:

Edited: I edited this post to remove some information. We've got a plan and it's going to happen this week. My brother freed up enough credit card space to help work something out. I'll be spending today finishing up some assignments and labs (my professors were fantastic). I shared my blog with them in an e-mail and asked them to excuse my from labs. One of them is opening a lab today so I can do it before I go. Then, I'll be meeting Rachel (don't want to say more than that to keep it protected).

THANK YOU for the phone numbers of attorneys. I found one who is going to help Rachel for nothing more than the filing fees and such. She's local and a sister of someone on Freejinger. We've already spoken. Thank you, to all of you, for offers of help and offers of places to stay. I think it's going to be okay. I'll not be posting for a few days, but don't worry. For the first time, I really think this will work out. -Ruth

What great news!

And I really, really hope it works out!!!

I'm so, so glad this is looking up. I've been following Ruth's blog for quite a while and although I haven't been posting much, I'm so glad that they're getting Rachel out of there.

I keep wondering if an adoption agency could help her. She could contact one in another area, it doesn't have to be a Christian one near her.

I'm in Ohio, so really can't help. There are families that will help her if she chooses them as the adoptive parents, I've even heard of girls living with the intended parents. This is such short notice of course, that that isn't feasible at the moment, but an adoption agency might have resources in place.

My son recently got his temps and we couldn't locate his social security card. We did something to get it, my husband did it, I will let you know but we didn't have to wait for the card in the mail. She may not have an number yet though, but do you really need a SSN to get a state ID? I got my license without having a SSN. They tried to tell me I had to have one, but I looked it up in their big fat rule book and they were WRONG. They gave me my license with zero's in the SSN spot. So look into the regs, maybe she can get the ID right away before she leaves.

Here is information on getting an ID. She can sign an affadavit that she doesn't have a SSN:

All applicants for an Arkansas driver’s license or identification card must provide a verifiable Social Security Number (SSN) when making application. Applicants who are not eligible for a SSN must sign an affidavit stating they do not have a SSN. The name you request for the driver’s license or ID card must match your name with the Social Security Administration.

Here's the link for all the regs:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/dri ... 27s.aspx#e

Here's a resource that talks about maternity homes that provide shelter for expecting moms:

http://maternity-home.adoption.com/

Just as an FYI for Ruth, something to consider in the future (since you obviously have your mind occupied right now!), would be getting a credit card. They can be life savers in emergency situations, as we saw here. Plus, having a credit history in our society is vital (though you might have other loans that you're building a credit history with) I know the children of fundies are indoctrinated all through childhood to avoid debt, but credit cards are not a bad thing- it's how you use them. You can get a card with no annual fee, buy one thing a month (or every few months), and pay it off immediately to build an excellent credit history. I got my first credit card as soon as I turned 18, have had it (and others) for almost a decade, and have never paid a single penny in interest (in fact, after I built a little bit of good history, I opened a cash-back card that I've gotten several hundred dollars back from over the years)

I thought I'd updated here before my blog; I think my update got eaten.

Yes. Thanks to you all, we got the information we needed to figure this out. I don't want to go into details until we've succeeded in our plan.

I just want to say, to other people wanting to leave fundamentalism, who might be reading: take the resources people list here and call them. I know that, sometimes, it seems like phone numbers aren't much of a help- but, they really are! Even if calling that first number doesn't have exactly what you need, I found that they can usually refer you to who you need. Just take that first step and go into it with the attitude that you won't stop until you have a solution. Take ALL of the advice; good and bad. Learn from the criticisms and/or bad advice.

Does anyone want to confirm their sister spoke with Ruth and/or Rachel?

That might violate attorney-client privilege....

Ruth, I hope everything goes well for you.

Archived