IGNORED

Tonight's Episode

MandyLaLa

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for writing that out! Now, do we think that's actually for Michelle's use or is she using it to counsel a daughter who might be courting?

I remember reading about their trip to the space center in AL, it was covered in the AL newspapers. I distinctly recall Michelle wasn't there.

Indeed, she was still in Israel with Josie and one of the J'slaves.

Thanks for writing that out! Now, do we think that's actually for Michelle's use or is she using it to counsel a daughter who might be courting?

It was for the women at the church who heard her speak. I hope they politely threw it in the trash after she left.

It was for the women at the church who heard her speak. I hope they [delete word] threw it in the trash after she left.

Fixed that for you. :whistle:

OK, I pieced this together over multiple freeze frames. Some of the text I just couldn't read since I recorded on low quality. Everything here is what I could clearly make out and is appalling enough. Anyone who watched in HD should be able to read this list better than I can. Any mistakes/typos are mine. I was also surprised to see the 52 character qualities worksheet actually be shown on screen and talked about. Maybe they're going to be more open about their beliefs?

Seven Basic Needs of a Husband

1. A husband needs a wife who respects him as a man.

How does a wife destroy her husband's manliness?

A. By expecting him to know what protection you need.

Physical

Spiritual

(2 more I can't make out)

Tell your husband how he can protect you.

B. By being financially independent

(list of 2 items I cant read)

Center your work and ministry in your home.

C. By giving greater loyalty to outside leadership.

1. Pastor and Church leaders

2. Men and Women bible teachers.

3. Relatives and friends

Ask your husband spiritual questions (See 1 Corinithans 14:15)

D. By resisting his decisions in your spirit.

(2 items I cant read)

Learn to wisely appeal to your husband

E. By resisting physical affection

This is the independence crushing (sic) of a man's spirit

A wife's godliness is a powerful guard against a husband's abuse

Learn the power of prayer based on scripture (Some verse in James)

F. By taking matters into your own hands

(2 lines I can't read)

Do not become your husband's critic (frame cut off)

and give him reason to fail.

That's all that was shown. My eyes hurt. :shock:

Holy crap! This is the stuff that they tell the cultees about in the Advanced Seminars or the womens' "Journey to the Heart". I'm shocked Gothard lets this stuff out; I've never seen it on his website.

I can take pics of it off my screen, but it won't be all that readable. I'll tape the rerun at high quality and see if I can get good screen grabs tomorrow.

OK, I pieced this together over multiple freeze frames. Some of the text I just couldn't read since I recorded on low quality. Everything here is what I could clearly make out and is appalling enough. Anyone who watched in HD should be able to read this list better than I can. Any mistakes/typos are mine. I was also surprised to see the 52 character qualities worksheet actually be shown on screen and talked about. Maybe they're going to be more open about their beliefs?

Seven Basic Needs of a Husband

1. A husband needs a wife who respects him as a man.

How does a wife destroy her husband's manliness?

A. By expecting him to know what protection you need.

Physical

Spiritual

(2 more I can't make out)

Tell your husband how he can protect you.

B. By being financially independent

(list of 2 items I cant read)

Center your work and ministry in your home.

C. By giving greater loyalty to outside leadership.

1. Pastor and Church leaders

2. Men and Women bible teachers.

3. Relatives and friends

Ask your husband spiritual questions (See 1 Corinithans 14:15)

D. By resisting his decisions in your spirit.

(2 items I cant read)

(2 lines I can't read)

Do not become your husband's critic (frame cut off)

and give him reason to fail.

That's all that was shown. My eyes hurt. :shock:

Ugh. How horrible. One thing I don't quite understand--is she encouraging or discouraging withholding of affection as a way to make an appeal? It seems really strange if she's encouraging it...or either way, I guess.

I think this whole bit is particularly ironic considering that Michelle very clearly wears the pants in that house.

I think you can find a lot of similar information in books like Fascinating Womanhood, or the even more vomitous spin-off of it, Secrets of Fascinating Womanhood - healthhouse.co.nz/freestuff/fascinating-womanhood-book-%284mb%29.pdf

Ugh, really? As long as you are godly your husband isn't going to abuse you? Apparently all those battered women would have just been fine had they not been too independant and more godly. Now we know, don't crush your man's spirit, don't resist your abuser's affection and you will be safe. Seriously, what sane woman promotes shit like that? The logical response would be that if your husband was more godly he wouldn't be beating the crap out of you.

If being independant is bad, how are you supposed to take matters in your own hands? Don't they cancel each other out? Wait, maybe I am just slow and she is talking about washing pots and pans. Definately not something a man is supposed to do.

I took a closer look and the line is partly out of frame. I can clearly see:

A wife's godliness is a powerful guard against a husband's abuse of her (obscured)

So that may or may not change the context. There's a bible verse reference after it too, so it's likely a verse Gothard has perverted to his own ends. There's no way to tell without seeing the actual paper.

If being independant is bad, how are you supposed to take matters in your own hands?

The power of prayer part refers to aiding in the woman not to resist his physical affections.

Taking matters int your own hands is a completely different way a woman destroys manliness. :(

That guilt shit at the end is the lecture that Priscilla Keller got, almost verbatim, from Gothard. I just remember it because I was so appalled by the means he uses to make women second class citizens.

They pretty much put this crap online. Google "Seven Basic Needs of a Husband", and ati.iblp.org/ati/supportlink/kb/questions/100/ shows up, where you can see "Seven Basic Needs of a Wife" as well! And expanded crap like this gem:

Don’t undermine your husband’s leadership.

Proverbs 14:1 says, “Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.†A foolish wife can unknowingly—or deliberately—crush her husband’s spirit by making foolish choices. For example, if you seek to be financially independent, your self-sufficiency can crush your husband’s spirit. God gave your husband the responsibility to provide for his family. A wise wife will trust God to provide for her family’s needs through her husband’s leadership.

ETA:

I thought this one was funny, considering smugs' weight gain.

Practice self-control, especially in the area of diet.

God is concerned about the bondage of overeating and gluttony, and many wives struggle with the issue of self-control, especially after giving birth to children. Weight control requires consistent conformity to God’s principles of living.

Let God and your husband know you care about your weight. Ask your husband to help you identify and remove hindrances to weight control, such as unhealthy foods, poor meal schedules, medical problems, or bitterness. Work together to accomplish specific goals. Your efforts to stay healthy and physically fit will bless your husband.

Well what if god yells at me "GET A JOB!" and everyone in the nowu three states can hear it? An i supposed to listen to god or my husband?

I couldn't help but laugh at the blatantly multiple takes on some of the scenes. The one I noticed in particular was the one where JB was playing on the couch with the little girls, the one where Hannie jumped from the island to the sofa (blue shirt). A few frames later, her shirt is pink, as it was in the ponytail fiasco. Then back to blue. Just real life...right.

Seriously?

Not to sound harsh because we know how this ends and I don't know her medical details, but exercising "every chance she gets" after having a pregnancy that ended severely preterm, this seems very unwise.

Sorry, but that isn't quite true. In most cases, it is completely appropriate and even encouraged for a woman to remain active during pregnancy. Both of my sisters ran (as in jogging) up until quite far in their pregnancies. Only one of the pregnancies required earlier bed rest. They believe that being fit made their labors more tolerable in terms of endurance.

So Michele's exercising daily during pregnancy, when she had already been doing so for 10 months, was likely not deleterious to the fetus/baby.

After reading that list of tips, I'm even more scared over what would happen if a J'slave married an abusive man. She's not going to get any help from her parents, that's for damn sure.

I thought this one was funny, considering smugs' weight gain.

Anna Duggar needs to take a page out of That Husband's book -- lock up the cheese, Anna!

thanks for the recaps, folks. I thought I found a live feed of TLC and was so excited to see the repeat. Turns out I did find a live stream... but it's TLC India (http://www.tlcindia.co.in/). And apparently they don't show the Duggars to their Indian viewers; I've got "Man v. Food" playing.

I couldn't help but laugh at the blatantly multiple takes on some of the scenes. The one I noticed in particular was the one where JB was playing on the couch with the little girls, the one where Hannie jumped from the island to the sofa (blue shirt). A few frames later, her shirt is pink, as it was in the ponytail fiasco. Then back to blue. Just real life...right.

I wondered if it was a different day or something. That part of the episode found me in the kitchen making dinner TLC is one of the few channels left who broadcasts an HD east-coast feed....Bravo heard about it when they quit last month) and only periodically glancing up at the show. Even so, I noticed an obvious change of clothes AND a hairbow suddenly appeared after Boob spent what seemed to be half an hour combing Hannie's hair.

Michelle sounded so fucking phony at the women's bible study.

She really, REALLY did. Her voice was grating, that performance was terrible and I didn't notice one person in the group that seemed too thrilled to be there...

Archived