IGNORED

Homeschooling using only the bible?

Mattie Chatham

Too bad we didn't have modern technology when Jesus was on earth.

I can see it now...

Guy 1: Jesus came back from the dead!

Guy 2: Pics or it didn't happen.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bible is not a textbook. The Bible is not a textbook. The Bible is not a textbook. But that's not the real problem here. The real problem is that this parent is an absolute crank. If she were just one of those people who bug real mathematicians with a page of garbage math that they insist Explains Everything The Establishment Doesn't Want You To Know, that wouldn't be so bad. But she's a parent.

Hopefully the poor girl will escape and write a book. But if her education stopped at age six and a half . . .

For comparison, here's my seven-year-old's schooling today:

*Read from a chapter book (she likes Disney Fairies, I won't argue)

*Practice manuscript A a and work on good letter shape generally

*Mental math: multiplication by 1 (a review)

*Written math: < >

*The Telling (a term I borrowed from Ursula Le Guin to mean "the stories we tell ourselves to explain who we are): Esau's bargain (We school six days a week--two with A Child's History of the World by Hillyer, two with History of US by Hakim, and two with the Bible or a Bible story from Egermeier.)

*Spanish: Flash card memory work, written comprehension, and number agreement (adjective and noun).

*Poetry: "The Butterfly" by John Bunyan (We are reading a book of classic poems from the Middle Ages to the recent past and exploring different historical attitudes toward children as we do.)

*Listening to Good Books: Reread a chapter from Pagoo (a favorite)

*Science (weekly lesson--on other days we do art etc.): Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Nebel, lesson C-1, Types of Energy

*P.E.: Hip hop class at local studio

*Music: Practice hymn "All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night"

All this with an associate's degree in business. Not. Rocket. Science.

And I think its rude of people of faith and their ministers and priests to claim that me and mine are going to hell based on a book of fables written hundreds of years after the fact.

You definitely need a tinfoil hat to read this blog. Here is a charming tidbit about her use of urine:

" I did it for an entire year to prove that urine can be used to treat allergies. ... I made it through that year dabbing a little in the inside of my nostrils with a q-tip. [update] I've sometimes dabbed some in my ears too, because they can itch during allergy season. Each treatment lasted about four hours, but I often did it whenever I went to the bathroom. Urine worked for itching eyes, but I found that if the urine is strong it can sting, so I stopped putting it in the eyes...[update: I am back on urine and have developed various mixtures--nasal rinse, a greatly diluted eye wash to dab *over* my eyelids, one to dab in my nostrils, and one for ear drops taking care to make sure excess water drains out from the drops."

I feel sorry for her child - as much for the half assed education as for the general millieu of wack-a-doodleness.

Not really, in my mind. It comes from LSF/FSL, which didn't really come from French, it was just spoken in French communities. Basque is also spoken in France and it has very little genetic relationship to French. I'm not great on sign language grammar, but essentially, the English used in ASL would be viewed more like "borrowings". When English "borrows" karaoke and tsunami from Japanese, it doesn't imbibe English with Japanese grammar or mean that the language comes from Japanese. Many sign languages borrow a lot from their local spoken language's alphabet because these are easy, ready-made symbols to transfer over, but I wouldn't really say that that means they "come from" that language.

I can see your point. I Really can. I don't agree, per se, but I can understand your statement. ASL grammar is very similar to French grammar. I googled and did some research on it and this is the quote I came up with:

Where did ASL originate?

The exact beginnings of ASL are not clear, but some suggest that it arose more than 200 years ago from the intermixing of local sign languages and French Sign Language (LSF, or Langue des Signes Française).Today’s ASL includes some elements of LSF plus the original local sign languages, which over the years have melded and changed into a rich, complex, and mature language. Modern ASL and modern LSF are distinct languages and, while they still contain some similar signs, can no longer be understood by each other’s users.

I suppose it's just how you look at it over all.

Source: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/asl.aspx

You definitely need a tinfoil hat to read this blog. Here is a charming tidbit about her use of urine:

" I did it for an entire year to prove that urine can be used to treat allergies. ... I made it through that year dabbing a little in the inside of my nostrils with a q-tip. [update] I've sometimes dabbed some in my ears too, because they can itch during allergy season. Each treatment lasted about four hours, but I often did it whenever I went to the bathroom. Urine worked for itching eyes, but I found that if the urine is strong it can sting, so I stopped putting it in the eyes...[update]

Um, gross. I have nothing else productive to add to this conversation at the moment. But seriously, gross.

Even ZsuZsu uses herbs and whatnot. At least plant based medicines have been around for a while (maybe not exactly how Zsu uses them, but historically people did know which plants help with pain, which ones cause miscarriages, etc.)

" I did it for an entire year to prove that urine can be used to treat allergies. ... I made it through that year dabbing a little in the inside of my nostrils with a q-tip. [update] I've sometimes dabbed some in my ears too, because they can itch during allergy season. Each treatment lasted about four hours, but I often did it whenever I went to the bathroom. Urine worked for itching eyes, but I found that if the urine is strong it can sting, so I stopped putting it in the eyes...[update]

I'm sure the only reason this *appeared* to work is because once you've dabbed your nose, ear holes and eyes with pee, the rest of the day can only be an improvement.

Is it year one in school, like Kindergarten? They are counting and learning their shapes, maybe some light introduction to addition. It should NOT be confusing to an adult.

Most of math has nothing to do with counting or with "real numbers". That is the starting point certainly, but a solid math education goes way beyond that.

My son is doing the ABekka kindergarten math book, there is a lot of writing his numbers, very easy addition, telling time (2 o'clock, 9 o'clock, etc), counting pennies, biggest and smallest, things like that. No adult should find that hard. Hell, my oldest sons 6th grade math is only confusing when it is obvious it's from the UK (he's now way better at their measurements, etc than I am! :D

I loved being homeschooled, and I love homeschooling my kids, but some people should not homeschool.

Archived