IGNORED

Homeschooling using only the bible?

Mattie Chatham

This is the woman who states that the bible also teaches about the evils of libraries, if I recall....her kid's going to be highly uneducated to say the least.

La biblioteca is muy mulvada

The library is very evil.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wrote an article, "Early Sign Language is Detrimental," I may upload it at some point. Sign language is not English and the Bible is written in English.

This lady just... I mean.. seriously... I can't.. ugh. I cannot complete coherent sentences right now! To not teach a deaf child sign language? To insist a child SPEAK as the only way to learn... and no, ASL is its own language, it is not English. It is based on a compilation of English and French. ENGLISH IS NOT THE ONLY LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD... good god! I do hope she prints her article of signing being bad for children... I really want to rip it apart.

Does she know Jesus did not speak English? I mean, she has to understand that, right? She does understand that the Bible was not written in English, and the man who had it translated picked and chose what to put in the Bible we read now as the KJV... she does get this correct?

I feel horrible for her children, I feel horrible for her... I feel horrible for anyone so ignorant to the world, to the reality of which they live, that they think schooling is complete by Year 2 and that English is the only language they need to know.

(and just for reference, Signing does help children, in all aspects of life. www.signingtime.com/resources/sign-language-research/ . At that link is a few of the studies done on ASL and children's development. I have a million more, if anyone is interested. Seriously, this woman is deluded.)

There are cats in the Apocrypha.

...I think I just made your point for you.

Obviously, cats wouldn't exist if they weren't in the Bible somewhere, right. ;)

Furthermore: "the Bible was written in English"? What the hell, lady.

I am baffled and horrified by this. Her ignorance and arrogance are astounding.

She doesn't believe in teaching deaf children or any children to sign. She also feels that her techniques in their entirety, including using the rod, are beneficial to all children, including those with special needs.

I was home schooled largely on the A Beka curriculum. I think the English grammar and elementary math books were thorough, for what it's worth. Without any guidance, I didn't get much out of the high school science and math, unfortunately.

She doesn't believe in teaching deaf children or any children to sign.

This just makes no sense at all!

QFT. I'm a total math-loving girl and hate that attitude.

I'm not a math-loving girl (more like math-appreciating, but lacking in real skills), and I hate that attitude. ;)

I believe homeschooling can be awesome. For example, pfamilygal, your homeschool day with your children sounds AMAZING (how do you get so much done in a day with three small children?!?)! I wish my days in elementary school were that productive and hands-on!

However, this woman is not homeschooling her daughter. This is one of my biggest issues with this particular brand of fundies- they refuse to adequately educate their children so they will never be able to escape. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm pretty sure those with ADD don't develop it because of television

Actually, there have been many studies done that show that early TV viewing can cause ADHD symptoms (http://www.seattlechildrens.org/media/p ... 04/000155/). Some show that any early TV viewing causes the symptoms, other have examined the types of programs and how faster paced programs are worse (spongebob squarepants was found to be particularly bad, and they suggested a slower program like Caillou.... honestly, i think that show causes fewer symptoms because it bores kids into going and doing something else, LOL!) The spongebob study can be found at http://thetruthbehindadhd.com/spongebob ... kids-adhd/. Both of these studies were published in well respected peer-reviewed journals (and the first one was done where I work!).

My question to people who follow the bible word for word is that isn't the Bible just a religious version of the game Telephone? In that game you whisper a sentence in the ear of the person next to you and that person whispers it to the next and so on. By the end of the game, that sentence has usually turned into something else entirely. For hundreds of years the Bible was recopied by hand. Who know what mistakes happened along the way. In the case of the King James Bible, who the heck knows what he authorized to be put in there? How is it any different than any modern translations?

BEST.ANALOGY.EVER. :clap:

Does anyone know if this woman is in the US? And if so, what state? Because what she is doing sounds like educational neglect. She uses years, but also grades so I'm not sure where she is from. This woman-there are no words for her ignorance. None at all.

I find maths hard but I don't expect all women to. I don't see why I should feel bad for struggling with it.

This! Math is pretty hard for me. From middle school till I graduated high school, I didn't get anything above a D no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I just gave up because I felt like trying was pointless (which does explain a few bad report cards). Just because someone says math is hard doesn't mean that they acting like some prissy diva. It might honestly be hard.

That whole sign language thing baffles me. I don't know where to start. Obviously teaching the bible is important to her. How does she think deaf people will learn about the bible if they have no way of communicating?

Does anyone know if this woman is in the US? And if so, what state? Because what she is doing sounds like educational neglect. She uses years, but also grades so I'm not sure where she is from. This woman-there are no words for her ignorance. None at all.

She was born on Guam, I don't know if she has moved to the mainland.

Can someone tell me what the 'dangers of libraries' are?
You can check out books and learn stuff without asking your parents for a filtered answer.

And once you start thinking for yourself and questioning, well... there goes fundamentalist religion.

She was born on Guam, I don't know if she has moved to the mainland.

Well, since Guam is an American Territory, I looked it up through HSLDA as it has the laws for all the states.

Guam: 5-16 years of age compulsory. 170 Days/Instruction.

1. “Children not attending a private full-time day school, and who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least three (3) hours a day for one hundred seventy (170) days each calendar year by a private tutor or other person in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of Guam and in the English language, shall be exempted from attending the public schools.â€

2. According to Board Policy 352 as amended April 5, 1994, “t is the policy of the Department of Education that students who do not attend public schools in accordance with this law shall not be considered as public school students in any manner. Consequently, the Department shall have no

regulatory authority over these students, nor shall these students be entitled to receive any of the services or academic recognitions and designations provided by the Department to public school students—inclusive of but not limited to the granting of credits to be used for obtaining a high school

diploma—except for those services and academic recognitions and designations as may be required by federal or local laws and regulations.â€

There is not a home school statute, but they do have alternate laws like above that allow for it.

Required Subjects: “the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of Guam and in the English language.†17 GCA § 6109.

Her daughter is 9? So she'd be in Year 5 (fourth grade). I found the educational standards of Guam and what Hannah should be learning at her age, in math specifically: http://www.dodea.edu/curriculum/math.cf ... tndId=math (not breaking link as its a gov't website).

Safe bet to say Mom here is not up to the standards she is supposed to be.

Thank you :)

I took an Intro to the New Testament class a couple of years ago, and our prof had us play telephone on the first day of class to demonstrate how the Bible came together. (Needless to say, this was at an Evil Heathen Secular university. The prof also threw the Bible on the floor the first day of class and asked us how we felt about that, and why. :twisted:)

ETA: We used a lot of texts by Bart Ehrman. I HIGHLY recommend.

OMG! This just blows me away. That poor child. Such educational neglect is shameful. I really do not understand how anyone can hink this cuts an education and prepares the child for life, even if they see the child just getting married and having lots of babies!

Just Wow! We are homeschooling as I type (I have a free moment while DD is reading some science), then we are going to do an experiment, we already worked on spelling, math is next (real math, not 'counting"- we are working on decimals and percentages), and then we will have some free reading time. DD is working her way through 3 books- Pipi Longstocking, Who Stole the Wizard of Oz, and one of The Pain and The Great One series. We had art class this week on Monday where the kids learned how to shade with oil pastels, dd takes homeschool swim lessons twice a week, and is learning the violin. She also plays a ton, creates, helps me cook, plays with friends...I just really can't understand this woman and it makes me SO angry!

Alright- She's done, got to go.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying, but what do you mean by this? Obviously the study of imaginary numbers has somewhat less to do with real numbers :) ...and I know that in some advanced fields like number theory you rarely see a number except for n, 0, and 1....but in most of my math education, "real numbers" were certainly involved in some way. (Not that my math education at all represents "most of math" but still...)

Counting, on the other hand...I would definitely agree that that's underrepresented in actual math.

What I meant was that once you get into higher math, you are dealing more with relationships, rates, and other "concepts" more than you are dealing with actual numbers. The number is the answer but not really the problem, kwim?

I took an Intro to the New Testament class a couple of years ago, and our prof had us play telephone on the first day of class to demonstrate how the Bible came together. (Needless to say, this was at an Evil Heathen Secular university. The prof also threw the Bible on the floor the first day of class and asked us how we felt about that, and why. :twisted:)

ETA: We used a lot of texts by Bart Ehrman. I HIGHLY recommend.

I can certainly understand your professor's opinion as far as the old testament. It was first oral traditional stories compiled into the Pentateuch (spelling?) with Moses as the author. As far as the New Testament, most of it can be traced back to numerous copies of the exact same text in the Greek. And other than the Book of Hebrews, which is thought to be written by Paul but not for certain, we know who wrote them and approximately when they were written. The King James Version of the Bible was not correctly translated and I think fundamentalists should ditch it as their source. I'm sure they don't care what I think. :) I took several classes on the authenticity of the Bible, but as you can tell, it's been awhile and I need to revisit my notes. Also, I have a copy from the Thompson Chain that shows how each version of the Bible came to be. It's very well documented. Too bad we didn't have modern technology when Jesus was on earth.

I take it your professor was making a dramatic point throwing a Bible on the floor. I think it is rude to people of faith, but he certainly is free to teach his class from a skeptics viewpoint. I was skeptical as well when I accepted the Bible as God's inspired Word. It took me awhile, taking classes and doing my own research. But if you want to have a basis for your belief that is a good way to start. I have been a Christian over 30 years and that's why I'm a little hazy on the details. I don't think you can hand your Christian faith down to your kids. You can teach them what you know, expose them to church and have them learn verses, but each person has to decide if they truly believe it or not. That's why I feel bad for the Duggar's older girls and JD. They aren't really given an opportunity to take their parents' beliefs apart and make their own decisions on following Christ. It's unfortunate because Jim Bob and Michelle made those decisions for themselves as they should have. But they should not force the "right response" game on the adult children. Poor Jill's eyes glaze over every time she is reciting the correct response. It's obviously just rote memory and she really doesn't understand why it is the "correct" answer. I believe she is sincere in respecting her parents and not making waves; I think Jana and Jessa seem like they would like to get out and find out what they believe and why. Not sure about JD or Jinger.

My point is I would hope every person would take a look for themselves on how the Bible was compiled and not go on just the word of a few people from one side or the other.

What I meant was that once you get into higher math, you are dealing more with relationships, rates, and other "concepts" more than you are dealing with actual numbers. The number is the answer but not really the problem, kwim?

Gotcha. Do no fundie children ever get beyond Algebra 1? These homeschooling parents have such pedantic and literal (not to mention stupid) minds that I can't imagine they'd be anything but suspicious of the kind of math that you're talking about. (Which of course is practically all of what we consider math.) Not to mention that these aforementioned traits would also make them incredibly bad teachers of any other subject.

Doesnt this remind anyone of 'Oranges are not the only fruit'?

the whole thing where her religious adoptive mother is illustrating out of the bible for her - so she knows all about unclean and clean animals and where hoopoes fit in the classification.

I love that book

Oh wow... Wow.... Thank you for saving me of a night of boredom at work!

"When Dr. Jekyll with his fancy college degree makes his goat-man Frankenstein by mixing the DNA of two creatures, is it science? And is not Dr. Jekyll terribly cruel as he uses nuclear technology to fertilze women's eggs/ovum so that he can tear up the brand new babies?"

This may be my favorite... because I'm not sure that she knows Dr. Jekyll is a fictional character.

Or perhaps her suggesting that you print out and bind a copy of the KJB (for free) that doesn't have abominations such as Greek translations. You know, cause printer ink and paper is just given away.

ASL is its own language, it is not English. It is based on a compilation of English and French.
Not really, in my mind. It comes from LSF/FSL, which didn't really come from French, it was just spoken in French communities. Basque is also spoken in France and it has very little genetic relationship to French. I'm not great on sign language grammar, but essentially, the English used in ASL would be viewed more like "borrowings". When English "borrows" karaoke and tsunami from Japanese, it doesn't imbibe English with Japanese grammar or mean that the language comes from Japanese. Many sign languages borrow a lot from their local spoken language's alphabet because these are easy, ready-made symbols to transfer over, but I wouldn't really say that that means they "come from" that language.

Archived