IGNORED

Homeschooling using only the bible?

Mattie Chatham

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only the real Bible will produce Biblical Scholarship--the Authorized (King James) Version of the Holy Scriptures. No other Bible version will work in Biblical Scholarship because the modern versions, written by modern deceived man, are not the word of God. Those so-called "archaic" words found in the Authorized Version are not archaic; they can be found in every domain today--if you are looking.

When the NIV changes the warp and the woof of Leviticus 13:48 to "woven or knitted material" you can never figure out how material is made. You won't even stop to think about it--all you can do is go to the store and buy a woven or a knitted garment. With the warp and the woof of the King James Bible, on the other hand, you can talk to the weaver who may tell you that they now call it the warp and the weft (but it will always be the warp and the woof to you). This actually happened to me--and not just in the area of weaving, but across all kinds of disciplines. As a result of Biblical Scholarship, you and your children can talk to anybody and judge methods--whether they be good or corrupt.

(Emphasis hers)

I'm sure it goes over really well when she tells experts that their terminology is wrong.

This woman is crazy. :shock:

http://www.biblicalscholarshipDOTnet

"Even when I didn't know that I was going to homeschool, the Bible was the textbook. Let me explain how God wrought this wonder. One day, I was reading to Hannah from an A Beka narrative of a Biblical account as we looked at the accompanying cards. Perhaps sensing my discomfort (I corrected the errors in my mind before haltingly relating the account), Hannah told me to read to her from the Bible. She was two years old. From that day forward, that is exactly what I did--and I never looked back. No cards, flannelgraphs, pictures, etc. were necessary to keep her attention, either. She grew up without television and so there is no attention deficit disorder (ADD) which, incidentally, almost every person in America has--and it is only getting worse. When I used select illustrations, models, and fieldtrips at strategic times, they were for perception, texture, depth, and interest only. She reads straight King James Bible text with great interest. At nine years old, her favorite book is Leviticus. I asked why. She responded that she loves the details.

As long as we have a Bible, we have a school. If someone physically takes my Bible, it is still in my heart. I can teach in the classroom or in the bush. It has been my goal to cover the entire Bible with Hannah before she leaves my home. "

and also:

"NOTE: "Mathematics" is not a Bible term, but "Counting" is so we use the term Counting. I found this discovery so liberating when Hannah was in Year 1 ("kindergarten"). Mathematics was too hard, but I could count. When I talk to people, I use the term mathematics so that they can understand me, but I really mean counting. In this short treatise, "How we will use mathematics," I am actually talking about mathematics itself as a Greek counting path as distinguished from counting itself. "

Um, I've worked through some Euclid. And also Appolonious [Conics]. And it is nowhere in the Bible. This woman is full of shit and her kids are going to grow up dumb dumb dumb.

I'm surprised she doesn't call math Numbers, after the book of the Bible. She could even have a bunch of word problems from that. If one Patriarch lived 970 years and begat 13 sons, could the oldest son be old enough to be the grandfather of the youngest son? If one tribe had 8,000 men, how many women were they probably excluded because they aren't worth counting?

Most of math has nothing to do with counting or with "real numbers". That is the starting point certainly, but a solid math education goes way beyond that.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying, but what do you mean by this? Obviously the study of imaginary numbers has somewhat less to do with real numbers :) ...and I know that in some advanced fields like number theory you rarely see a number except for n, 0, and 1....but in most of my math education, "real numbers" were certainly involved in some way. (Not that my math education at all represents "most of math" but still...)

Counting, on the other hand...I would definitely agree that that's underrepresented in actual math.

I'm pretty sure those with ADD don't develop it because of television

I had ADHD as a kid and grew up mainly without a TV. My grandfather didn't have a TV until he was a grandfather and he had ADHD. :whistle:

Amazing...how could you spend all that time reading the Bible and then write that crazy rant? I love reading the Bible (not KJV) but she really has gone over the edge. I pity the poor child that has to listen to her all day long. Her attitude and behavior looks like child neglect, ignorance and an unbalanced mind all rolled up into one big booby prize of a "parent". Very sad.

Homeschooling here. That woman is whacked. I wonder what the 'bible' says about George Orwell, Alice in Wonderland, Algebra, Geometry, French, Science and lab reports, etc. (All things my 11 yr old is doing today).

We also watch ebil tv and don't have ADD but we do have lots of free time to run around and act like this :dance:

Homeschooling here. That woman is whacked. I wonder what the 'bible' says about George Orwell, Alice in Wonderland, Algebra, Geometry, French, Science and lab reports, etc. (All things my 11 yr old is doing today).

We also watch ebil tv and don't have ADD but we do have lots of free time to run around and act like this :dance:

Y-y-you're daughter's reading Alice? *squeals like the literature fangirl that she is* She's so lucky. When I was in elementary school/begining of middle school, we didn't read Alice. When I did read it when just for fun when I was 12/13, I only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now years later, I re-read it with annotated notes because I still couldn't understand it and wanted to read the sequel, Through the Looking Glass. I'm just glad I have the two books in one with annotated notes and various short explanation essays. *sorry for geeking out*

Y-y-you're daughter's reading Alice? *squeals like the literature fangirl that she is* She's so lucky. When I was in elementary school/begining of middle school, we didn't read Alice. When I did read it when just for fun when I was 12/13, I only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now years later, I re-read it with annotated notes because I still couldn't understand it and wanted to read the sequel, Through the Looking Glass. I'm just glad I have the two books in one with annotated notes and various short explanation essays. *sorry for geeking out*

My SON is reading Alice, some original version with sketches. Heathens that we are :twisted:

I have a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) Geek but he also LOVES reading and art!

Whoops, didn't realize that it was your son, not your daughter. * :oops: * I don't like math and am not good with it. I'm not good with science, so even though I liked it in school it frustrated me because I didn't understand the textbooks explanations. I didn't like science so much that I read about it at home like I do with history, though. I wish I was good at science to be more interested in it *le sigh* so I admire people who are good at science. Your son's lucky to have a mom like you.

My only areas of that I was exceptionally good at were English and history. I still am a history geek (reading books about the medieval ages and about the "Steampunk" era) and occasionally like to read YA literature. Heathens? Wasn't Lewis Carroll an Anglican pastor and a mathmatecian professor at Oxford? Whoops, according to fundies, they don't go hand in hand.

God have mercy.

We homeschool.

My kids are in K,1st, 3rd and 5th. (The other two are too young for school yet). While we certainly study the Bible, it isn't ALL we study.

We are studying the time period from the fall of the Roman Empire to the American and French Revolutions this year.

The kids are learning Latin and Spanish.

We are currently reading The Children's Shakespeare. Today we read Romeo and Juliet and acted it out. We worked on our model castle. We read a book about life in the Renaissance. We looked at a book of art from the Renaissance and tried painting our own frescos on sheets of cardboard covered with spackle.

We are studying the human body, so we talked about evaporation and cooling. We put on dry and wet socks and went outside to see which foot got colder. We experimented with water and alcohol to see which one evaporated faster. We fingerprinted ourselves and compared them. (And then drew funny animals on the fingerprints!) We scraped a chicken bone raw and put it in vinegar so we can watch it become pliable over the week as the calcium leaches out.

Then I worked with each child individually on math, spelling/phonics, reading, grammar, and writing. And the oldest two took dictation of paragraphs to work on punctuation and spelling.

And that is ONE DAY in our homeschooling life.

What this lady is doing is not homeschooling. It is abusing her kid.

Cat is not a Bible term. The humble domestic cat doesn't get a mention in the Bible at all.

I wonder if cats are taboo in her home?

Holy squirrels! Abeka curriculum tried to teach me the craziest shit growing up, like that fossils are not over 6000 years old and it's all "circular reasoning" (I swear if I ever get that textbook in my hands again, I'm burning it - anyone else have the 8th grade textbook with the scientist laughing while explaining circular reasoning and evolution to the little boy?)

Anyways, if that shit is too non-Biblical for her, I have no idea how she must function in society. Computers sure aren't in the Bible, why does she need one? She needs to go all out and strip every non-Biblically based item from her house and live like they did in her KJV Bible.

Before Hannah was 6.5 years old, I knew that her schooling was essentially complete (Year 2 of formal school). Subsequent years have proven this to be true.

:o Speachless.

:o Speachless.

Well this DOES make sense, as there's not too much information on 2nd grade spelling, math or social studies in the good book. What's left, vocabulary?

Her shit reads whackier than any Dr. Bronners label. She beats the kids and thinks Dr. Jekyl wrote Frankenstein, she has the kid killing and eating frogs and bugs at the age of 4.

One woman asked if I was a Muslim and I said no and before leaving me she asked if I ate pork (Muslims don't eat pork). Her mind would not believe that anyone outside of a Muslim would have on a long dress. I don't wear small earrings (I tried) because Hannah does not like to see me in them. Someone else asked me what country I came from. I speak perfect English, I'm an American, so I know that he did not ask me my nationality because I speak with an accent. I've been asked if I was amish or Pennsylvania Dutch. When is the last time you've seen a black Amish?

edited to add: and she has a college degree from a secular uni.

Holy squirrels! Abeka curriculum tried to teach me the craziest shit growing up, like that fossils are not over 6000 years old and it's all "circular reasoning" (I swear if I ever get that textbook in my hands again, I'm burning it - anyone else have the 8th grade textbook with the scientist laughing while explaining circular reasoning and evolution to the little boy?)

Anyways, if that shit is too non-Biblical for her, I have no idea how she must function in society. Computers sure aren't in the Bible, why does she need one? She needs to go all out and strip every non-Biblically based item from her house and live like they did in her KJV Bible.

I saw that, too. We homeschool our kids, but I would never use Abeka, it's a load of horseshit and the furthest thing from a scientifically rigorous curriculum as you can get. As a former biology teacher, I try to talk other homeschool families we know out of using Abeka (the highschool biology book says species aren't mutable!! Hello, dog breeds? Tomato varieties?? Even if you don't believe in evolution, how can you say species aren't mutable and "everything God created in Eden is all we've got today"?? Blargh!!

If she thinks Abeka is too worldly and unBiblical, she's way, way, way off the deep end.

Chiming in on the Alice love and being a literature/history geek! I did a module in Children's Literature last year at university and I wrote part of my exam on Alice. I'm crap at Maths but even I know it's more than just 'counting'.

What do fundies have against libraries? You get to read books for free! I guess they don't like that it's full of da ebil, non-Biblical literature.

Chiming in on the Alice love and being a literature/history geek! I did a module in Children's Literature last year at university and I wrote part of my exam on Alice. I'm crap at Maths but even I know it's more than just 'counting'.

What do fundies have against libraries? You get to read books for free! I guess they don't like that it's full of da ebil, non-Biblical literature.

Caroll's other work is awesome for math...I have a 'best of lewis caroll' book that has some amazing math problems in it (it was what he did :)

(and te "annotated alice' book is awesome)

If you go up to the top of the page under "A statement of the problem" does it really say that the sun goes around the earth? Really? I'm reading it wrong, right?

That's what she says. But she does have a globe so she does know the Earth is not flat.

Cat is not a Bible term. The humble domestic cat doesn't get a mention in the Bible at all.

I wonder if cats are taboo in her home?

There are cats in the Apocrypha.

...I think I just made your point for you.

Caroll's other work is awesome for math...I have a 'best of lewis caroll' book that has some amazing math problems in it (it was what he did :)

(and te "annotated alice' book is awesome)

We have that at home, it's the one I grew up reading with :D the maths stuff kind of went over head though! :lol:

I went to an Alice exhibition at Tate Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. It was fascinating and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go.

Archived