IGNORED

Homeschooling using only the bible?

Mattie Chatham

This woman is crazy. :shock:

www.biblicalscholarshipDOTnet

"Even when I didn't know that I was going to homeschool, the Bible was the textbook. Let me explain how God wrought this wonder. One day, I was reading to Hannah from an A Beka narrative of a Biblical account as we looked at the accompanying cards. Perhaps sensing my discomfort (I corrected the errors in my mind before haltingly relating the account), Hannah told me to read to her from the Bible. She was two years old. From that day forward, that is exactly what I did--and I never looked back. No cards, flannelgraphs, pictures, etc. were necessary to keep her attention, either. She grew up without television and so there is no attention deficit disorder (ADD) which, incidentally, almost every person in America has--and it is only getting worse. When I used select illustrations, models, and fieldtrips at strategic times, they were for perception, texture, depth, and interest only. She reads straight King James Bible text with great interest. At nine years old, her favorite book is Leviticus. I asked why. She responded that she loves the details.

As long as we have a Bible, we have a school. If someone physically takes my Bible, it is still in my heart. I can teach in the classroom or in the bush. It has been my goal to cover the entire Bible with Hannah before she leaves my home. "

and also:

"NOTE: "Mathematics" is not a Bible term, but "Counting" is so we use the term Counting. I found this discovery so liberating when Hannah was in Year 1 ("kindergarten"). Mathematics was too hard, but I could count. When I talk to people, I use the term mathematics so that they can understand me, but I really mean counting. In this short treatise, "How we will use mathematics," I am actually talking about mathematics itself as a Greek counting path as distinguished from counting itself. "

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think, when this little girl is grown and has a family of her own, she'll be expected to educate them in turn. Scary shit.

Also, I was raised by T.V. as much as the next American in my generation (Y), and I definitely don't have ADD.

I'm loving that this idiot found "Mathematics" too hard in year 1... Seriously.. what do kids do in year one now? When I was in school it was simple counting, addition, and subtraction. If that is too difficult, you have no need to homeschool your children. I may have to take a gander at the site and see what she considers "counting"...

This woman is crazy. :shock:

http://www.biblicalscholarshipDOTnet

"Even when I didn't know that I was going to homeschool, the Bible was the textbook. Let me explain how God wrought this wonder. One day, I was reading to Hannah from an A Beka narrative of a Biblical account as we looked at the accompanying cards. Perhaps sensing my discomfort (I corrected the errors in my mind before haltingly relating the account), Hannah told me to read to her from the Bible. She was two years old. From that day forward, that is exactly what I did--and I never looked back. No cards, flannelgraphs, pictures, etc. were necessary to keep her attention, either. She grew up without television and so there is no attention deficit disorder (ADD) which, incidentally, almost every person in America has--and it is only getting worse. When I used select illustrations, models, and fieldtrips at strategic times, they were for perception, texture, depth, and interest only. She reads straight King James Bible text with great interest. At nine years old, her favorite book is Leviticus. I asked why. She responded that she loves the details.

As long as we have a Bible, we have a school. If someone physically takes my Bible, it is still in my heart. I can teach in the classroom or in the bush. It has been my goal to cover the entire Bible with Hannah before she leaves my home. "

and also:

"NOTE: "Mathematics" is not a Bible term, but "Counting" is so we use the term Counting. I found this discovery so liberating when Hannah was in Year 1 ("kindergarten"). Mathematics was too hard, but I could count. When I talk to people, I use the term mathematics so that they can understand me, but I really mean counting. In this short treatise, "How we will use mathematics," I am actually talking about mathematics itself as a Greek counting path as distinguished from counting itself. "

I'm pretty sure those with ADD don't develop it because of television

Oh, man. The reason the kid likes Leviticus is because she's bored out of her mind. I think one of the saddest things about really limited homeschool is that they miss out on all the wonderful literature, art, culture...fill in the blank...of the past.

I love her header: "Note: BiblicalScholarship.net is for Christians that read, believe, and obey the Authorized King James Bible of 1611. The modern Bible versions are corruptions of the scriptures (NIV, NKJV, etc.)."

The arrogance is just hilarious.

*blink*

Now, if I were stuck on a desert island with only the bible, and had to educate my kid, it would be a fairly useful starting point...there's enough we could do that's 'mathy' and language. And some great literature.

But FFS, math =/= counting.

My question to people who follow the bible word for word is that isn't the Bible just a religious version of the game Telephone? In that game you whisper a sentence in the ear of the person next to you and that person whispers it to the next and so on. By the end of the game, that sentence has usually turned into something else entirely. For hundreds of years the Bible was recopied by hand. Who know what mistakes happened along the way. In the case of the King James Bible, who the heck knows what he authorized to be put in there? How is it any different than any modern translations?

I'm loving that this idiot found "Mathematics" too hard in year 1... Seriously.. what do kids do in year one now? When I was in school it was simple counting, addition, and subtraction. If that is too difficult, you have no need to homeschool your children. I may have to take a gander at the site and see what she considers "counting"...

Is it year one in school, like Kindergarten? They are counting and learning their shapes, maybe some light introduction to addition. It should NOT be confusing to an adult.

Most of math has nothing to do with counting or with "real numbers". That is the starting point certainly, but a solid math education goes way beyond that.

blog.inkleinations.com/

This one will make you crazy :lol:

This drives me nuts. This is NOT giving your kids an education! :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :puke-front::puke-front::puke-front:

Ugh. Those poor kids. As someone for whom learning has been a life-ling blessing, these sites cause me pain. :cry:

Does she also only speak and write using words that are in that edition of the Bible? I mean, it's got a lot of words in it, but certainly not every word one could need for anything.

Two words: educational neglect.

Also, if math is too hard for you to teach your kids, and you want to homeschool? Go to community college and make up for your learning deficits.

It's a pet peeve of mine when any woman says, "Ohhh, math is hard, teehee," but if you're going to homeschool, that goes beyond stupid to just wrong. I don't ever hear men say that, and I don't think it's because they're better at math, but because they aren't socialized to think that math is not a skill they need and that their lack of skill can be construed as endearing.

This is the woman who states that the bible also teaches about the evils of libraries, if I recall....her kid's going to be highly uneducated to say the least.

It's a pet peeve of mine when any woman says, "Ohhh, math is hard, teehee,"

QFT. I'm a total math-loving girl and hate that attitude.

Her views on education are practically tame compared to some of the other fuckery she spews. This one is WAY, WAY, WAY off the beaten path.

ETA~ She is the fundie that brought me out of a year worth of lurkdom

Considering the bible's original languages didn't include English, she's using a bastardized version.

Also if you have one bag of tater tots that is 18 ounces full, but the recipe calls for 45 ounces of tots, how many bags do you need to buy? Counting isn't really going to help there.

And back in the bible days, being able to read was every elite, and those who could usually lived with the wealthy as their scribes. That's right, even the wealthy often couldn't read or write. A woman who could read was exceptionally are. So I guess she's raising her daughter in an ungodly way because girls used to never read. They were needed to work from toddlerhood. If CPS were to catch wind of this woman not educating her kid, she'd be in big trouble. Well, if she was in the US.

I an a weird one. I font like math but i will do it. Every once in a while ill scribble down a bunch of random numbers just because. When i started shopping for my own clouds i went back to my sixth grade teacher to relearn how to do percentages. Actually the only math i have issues with is the stuff without numbers. Part algebra 1 i was lost.

If you go up to the top of the page under "A statement of the problem" does it really say that the sun goes around the earth? Really? I'm reading it wrong, right?

If you go up to the top of the page under "A statement of the problem" does it really say that the sun goes around the earth? Really? I'm reading it wrong, right?

No, sadly you're not. I remember that from the last time we dissected this blog. It is in the Bible, don'cha know!

Archived