IGNORED

Gay IS Not Okay Sign

debrand

countingitalljoy-jessi.blogspot.com/2012/02/gay-is-not-ok.html

A protest was held at a church last Sunday morning for those few words posted on a church sign, advertising the morning message. I'm Glad it was in the single digit degrees there too, for those protesting and trying to discourage people from going to that church. I don't believe in everything this church teaches but was glad to see their stand on homosexuality. The pastor changed the sign to "adultery is not ok" after receiving threats to his family, if he did not take the sign down! The sign was also vandalized and I'm sure would have gotten a lot worse if he would have left it up. Our former pastor at a church less than a mile from this one was actually shot at in his office for preaching against sodomy! Yeah Christians are the violent ones, I don't think so! The whole group that protested seemed to have a hateful spirit about them.

The man gives a link to an article about the protest but there is nothing that I could find that indicated someone was shot. The protest seemed peaceful from the article.

I think that in this case, 'hateful spirit' means not agreeing with the writer.

This is outrageous that they did a protest. How come when they changed the sign to say adultery is not ok protesters didn't line up? Where were all the cheating whore mongers? Nowhere to be found because they realize that is sinful. But the sodomites have no shame and do not view their activity as wicked and sinful, which proves even more why the church posted a statement like this. I think this sign was very mild compared to what God has to say on the subject!

I, for one, am glad that people are being called out on faith based bigotry. I hope that more people peacefully protest such views. As far as the sign being mild, substitute any minority for the word gay and the sign doesn't seem so mile anymore.

The pastor has his right to the sign and people have a right to tell him that he is an ass.

edited to take out the http

The thing with faith-based bigotry is that then the bigots trot out their "freedom of religion" argument, which is a straw man if ever there was one. "We're being PERSECUTED!!!!" Well, no. Persecution is threatening someone's livelihood/life for being who they are. And the idea that what anyone else does in their own marriage has any bearing on how you practice your faith is just absurd.

Where is she? Perhaps the pastor had to take the sign down or be prosecuted under hate crimes/ hate speech legislation? At least that would have been the case in my neck of the woods.

Fort Des Moines is written at the top of the sign.

Our former pastor at a church less than a mile from this one was actually shot at in his office for preaching against sodomy!

I'd like to see some proof that his former pastor was shot because of his sermons against sodomy. It isn't that I think that being shot for such a reason is impossible; however, I can't imagine shooting a pastor for his message wouldn't be news.

I think that the writer of the blog is a male.

Is it bad the first thing I though when I saw the title of the thread was "gay is not ok... It's AWESOME!"

I would have experienced such immature joy if someone had added, "It's Awesome!" to the sign.

No, that is an AWESOME thought.

Okay, it's Fort Des Moines Church of Christ in Iowa, the dude says he's not looking for press coverage but he does shit like posting controversial crap on that sign and going to the legislature to pray in front of everyone (SIN! SIN!) (ahem. Sorry.) about abortion and gay marriage.

Here's an article from the Des Moines Register, the biggest paper in the state: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... nterpreted

I did a Google search for "Iowa Pastor Shot" and "Iowa Pastor victim" and found nothing. There are some pastors in Florida shooting shit up (including a dog, nice.) and an Iowa pastor killed in a car crash recently.

Given that I have gay Iowan family members (and close family friends) who all subscribe to the Register, I am 100% sure I would have heard about any shootings.

Also, if you read that article I linked, it looks like the pastor has the same truthfulness problem the blogger has, even about stories he heard first hand.

It's not JUST that Christians have their own bizarroworld set of urban legends, it's that they feel free to make up new ones all the damn time.

Someone who can type without inserting fuck and shit between all nouns should ask the blogger "Oh no, which pastor was shot? That's terrible! I want to send something to the family!"

(Now I'm trying to find the church my mom attended for a while not too far from there - I thought it was Beaver Creek CoC, but it could have been Beaverdale, and neither still exists, looks like.)

Demastus said his message has been misinterpreted. His goal is not to condemn homosexuals, he said. What he seeks to condemn is the act of homosexuality.

"Gay" is not an act. It's an identity. It's people. Saying "Gay is not okay" therefore condemns gay individuals. If he honestly hates the "sin" but not the "sinner," then he needs to specify actions, not people.

So if he truly "hates the sin but not the sinner," why not put the real message he was supposedly trying to convey--"Sodomy is not okay"--on the marquee? And if he hates sodomy so much, why not denounce non-PIV sex acts between heterosexual couples, too? Because those are also considered sodomy.

Trouble is, it really is actual people he hates, not just actions. He didn't make a mistake in choosing the wording of the sign, and nobody misinterpreted it.

Where is she? Perhaps the pastor had to take the sign down or be prosecuted under hate crimes/ hate speech legislation? At least that would have been the case in my neck of the woods.

Since a church isn't public property (technically), they can post hate-slogans. It's how the Westboro Baptist Fuckwads are allowed to picket funerals with hateful signs - on PUBLIC property. Churches get free passes on a lot of stuff.

Since a church isn't public property (technically), they can post hate-slogans. It's how the Westboro Baptist Fuckwads are allowed to picket funerals with hateful signs - on PUBLIC property. Churches get free passes on a lot of stuff.

Does this mean I'm allowed to start the Church of Guns, and counter protest with giant honkin' guns strapped to me and circle them? (not pointing them at anyone, of course, and with ammo, of course) Or am I would protected under the second amendment?

Jezebel i cant quote what you said but you are right. I have a gay friend and while she is celibate, she is still gay. And despite being gay, she it one of the most loved people at our church. She just recently celibrated her one year sobriety date and the pastor called her out from the pulpit congratulating her. She is not judged theres because she is gay. She is loved because of the kind of person she is and isn't that what matters most?

When I went to the blog this morning, I could no longer access it. What irony. The writer praises a pastor for being insensitive to an entire group of people but could not handle criticism herself.

To the blog writer. Perhaps you are correct to close your blog. After all, your article on why women shouldn't vote was going to be the subject for my next thread. However, it does appear that you are too cowardly to defend your own views

By the way, can you provide the name of the pastor that was shot? I'd like to look up the official reason behind his shooting or if it even occurred. You're obviously aware of the content of this thread

I'd like to see some proof that his former pastor was shot because of his sermons against sodomy. It isn't that I think that being shot for such a reason is impossible; however, I can't imagine shooting a pastor for his message wouldn't be news.

I'd like to see some proof, too. If it was true, it would have surely made the national news.

Jezebel i cant quote what you said but you are right. I have a gay friend and while she is celibate, she is still gay. And despite being gay, she it one of the most loved people at our church. She just recently celibrated her one year sobriety date and the pastor called her out from the pulpit congratulating her. She is not judged theres because she is gay. She is loved because of the kind of person she is and isn't that what matters most?

Why does she need to be celibate? People have a need for companionship, one that God gave us.

Its her decision. I talked to her about it once and she feels viaup the way she needs to be. She told me she feels its a flesh thing not a spirit thing. She currently has the idea thathe she gets more spiritual eventually God will free her from that. She also thinks if she went back to that she would fall back into her addictions. I dont know where the idea came from and although I do not agree with her I figure all I can do is be there for her and love her and hopefully someday she can see that its not a bad thing. I know some of her family feels its wrong... Her brother has mentioned that to me before and at her sobriety party her stepmom informed up that she wasnot shopping at Jc penny anymore was because ellen was the spokesperson. My friend hot kind of quiet and said "oh. I understand." The only reason I didn't say anything was because I didnt want to start an argument right there. If it had been any other day i would have paid something. Anyways like i paid all i can do as far as I can tell is be there for her and let her know i love her regardless of what she does or doesnt do.

FMJ, I feel for your friend. It must be a difficult burden to believe that God doesn not want you to experience the love of a spouse/lover.

Does your church teach this or is this her own thinking?

Is it just me, or is the blog already gone?

It is gone. She had a link to a crazy article that ZsuZsu wrote about why she didn't vote. When I went to create a thread about it, I discovered the entire blog had become private. The writer is a hyprocrite. She thinks that it is acceptable for the pastor to make comments about other people's lifes but she can't handle criticism of her views. To me, that is cowardly and hyprocritical. It is all right for her to judge others but not all right for others to judge her views.

edited

Yeah, this- if some pastor got shot because of his preaching it would be all over the news. Unless the writer of the blog can come up with some dox I'm going to call bullshit.

Debrand far as I can tell this is her own thinking. My church has been very accepting of the gay people that come in... With the exception of one or two of course. I have never heard them preach on homosexuality before although i have only been there about eight months. I know her family frowns upon it. Them again her family also thinks the earth is six thousand years old.

Archived