IGNORED

Let's suppose Santorum becomes prez...

snickerz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How hard is it?

For a financially struggling couple with two children? Seems pretty difficult. I think we'll have to apply for either a temporary visiting visa or a temp work visa, then find my husband a job (HVAC) then find a place to live, then work on switching permanent residency. That's going to be expensive and take a while, plus you have to be approved for all of those things. A lot of the stuff is over my head, so I might have to talk to an immigration lawyer.

Perhaps the UK could consider annexing the New Worlds again and bring America back under UK control? Then we could ship all the right wingers off to Texas perhaps (sorry FJ Texans) and let them go it alone.

I vote for JFC to be the Rt Hon Member of Parliament for the New Worlds!

Should Santorum (I always have to correct the way I write and say his name because I say/write it: Sanitorium... :twisted: ) get elected I am high tailing it out of Texas even with my degree not finished. What ever he is going to try and push you know Texas will jump on the bandwagon quickly.

edited for spelling errors

Maybe we could organize an international swap? Fundies and other right-wing extremists from Canada for sane people from the USA? I'd even throw in a free Canadian PM free of charge. Everybody wins! (Though I hope there are more sane people in the USA than fundies in Canada!)

Seriously, though, I can't even contemplate the possibility of President Santorum. Even living in Canada (albeit the hickish, jesusy bit) this sort of thing makes me nervous, and very happy to have dual citizenship in the UK, just in case the madness is catching...

That's Commissar to you ;)

Sola, we could have a whole FJ cabinet! Alecto as president (First Minister) of course. You could be Cab Sec for Common Sense, Latraviata Minister For Sorting Out Religious Nonsense, FuManchu Cab Sec for Literature and Witty Stuff Because Fundies Can't Laugh at Themselves (title may need shortening), Effie for Social Work...

And that's even before we get onto the Americans! (Not counting Alecto, natch.)

I could be somewhere in Justice. I would enjoy that. Large budget, extraordinary powers, not too many questions asked ;) Oh yeah, and no coppers. At least, not traditional ones...

Fleeing Texans could get free passage, a lovely house and special benefits. If they could prove FJ credentials, even better! They would have a free lifelong supply of cake.[/quote]

I like this idea :)

For a financially struggling couple with two children? Seems pretty difficult. I think we'll have to apply for either a temporary visiting visa or a temp work visa, then find my husband a job (HVAC) then find a place to live, then work on switching permanent residency. That's going to be expensive and take a while, plus you have to be approved for all of those things. A lot of the stuff is over my head, so I might have to talk to an immigration lawyer.

They make it very, very hard if you're immigrating without a job unless you're claiming refugee status. If you get offered a job in Canada it's different because you'll have a secure income there. It's still fairly difficult but not as difficult as moving for a job. If you're seriously considering the option best to start looking and applying for jobs in Canada and going from there.

Now I'm scared. I thought Rick Santorum was a joke, but apparently there are many deluded people who are all set to vote for him. Are you kidding me? What are they thinking and where are their heads...well, I think we know the answer to that one. These are 1 issue voters, either the right to keep and bear arms, or anti abortion, or perhaps both. Is there something in the water, in the air, in the food supply here? We were all set to leave the country and move to Canada when George Bush was re-elected, but as others have stated, that involves a whole lot more than just packing up and moving north. Happily we are retired and have a good income so a job isn't a problem, even so it's a time consuming process.

Now I'm scared. I thought Rick Santorum was a joke, but apparently there are many deluded people who are all set to vote for him. Are you kidding me? What are they thinking and where are their heads...well, I think we know the answer to that one. These are 1 issue voters, either the right to keep and bear arms, or anti abortion, or perhaps both. Is there something in the water, in the air, in the food supply here? We were all set to leave the country and move to Canada when George Bush was re-elected, but as others have stated, that involves a whole lot more than just packing up and moving north. Happily we are retired and have a good income so a job isn't a problem, even so it's a time consuming process.

Don't forget all the people that are pissed because the US has a black president.

Sola, we could have a whole FJ cabinet! Alecto as president (First Minister) of course. You could be Cab Sec for Common Sense, Latraviata Minister For Sorting Out Religious Nonsense, FuManchu Cab Sec for Literature and Witty Stuff Because Fundies Can't Laugh at Themselves (title may need shortening), Effie for Social Work...

I could be somewhere in Justice. I would enjoy that. Large budget, extraordinary powers, not too many questions asked ;) Oh yeah, and no coppers. At least, not traditional ones...

Fleeing Texans could get free passage, a lovely house and special benefits. If they could prove FJ credentials, even better! They would have a free lifelong supply of cake.

Excellent! We have the beginnings of a plan!

Fleeing Texans could get free passage, a lovely house and special benefits. If they could prove FJ credentials, even better! They would have a free lifelong supply of cake.[/quote]

I like this idea :)

Mr. 99 would love it, cooler climate and free cake? Wait, I think he is gathering paperwork already...

See over in Chatter. I've just made a post about it!

I think the Rest of the World would have to invade, remove him, and set up some serious re-education for his supporters ;)

That sounds like an ugly war to me and I'm afraid Santorum and his staff wouldn't hesitate to throw the nuclear bomb over Europe.

I know this sounds horrible, but my husband and I chose our majors this time around with global marketability in mind. I have felt for a while that we may need to pack up and leave the US at some point. I wonder, is this just cell memory from being Jewish or a premonition?

Maybe we could organize an international swap? Fundies and other right-wing extremists from Canada for sane people from the USA? I'd even throw in a free Canadian PM free of charge. Everybody wins!

yes! we(Canadians) will get intelligent, talented, creative people and they (the US) will get Mr. Harper et al :dance:

Don't forget all the people that are pissed because the US has a black president.

I completely forgot the race issue. Where we live live, it isn't an issue. Were I black I would move here!

Not being from the States and only knowing this Santorum guy from the TV news, I went to that fount of all knowledge, aka Wikipedia, and read up about him.

:shock:

If he does become POTUS, people, you have my profoundest sympathies, especially women because you are fucked (and not just within the confines of a Godly marriage, using no contraception).

My facebook page is running high with all the Santorum support...It is starting to get very scary. I may have even texted my step-dad the other day and asked if his couch would be free starting in November. He said yes (He would love it if I moved back up lol. I really thought the closest I would get to home would be to work and live in Seattle and drive 2.5 hours to see family and friends on weekends, which would be very doable, but now I'm thinking I may be actually living across the border again).

Archived