IGNORED

101 Simple 10-minute Meals

keeperrox

Around this time of year, I get severe recipe burnout. There are days where I can spend no more than 10 minutes total in the kitchen. I found this old NY Times list of 101 Meals Ready in 10-minutes or Less courtesy of Mark Bittman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dinin ... wanted=all

Does anyone have any other tried and true recipes that are around 10 minutes start to finish, but don't use processed foods?

1 large head romaine lettuce, or half lettuce, half chard(chopped)

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or one can (drained)

Kernels from 2 ears of cooked corn, or one can (drained)

1 large avocado, diced into small chunks

Shake all of the above around in a food container with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of black pepper. If you need a more substantial meal, add cooked rice or quinoa and/or cooked shredded chicken.

I will marinate a chicken breast in the morning [leave it in the fridge, obviously]. Grill it when I get home- either in a grill pan, under the broiler or on the BBQ. I'll serve it with grilled vegetables and a salad and bread.

I posted in another thread that I make migas quite a bit. It's just scrambled eggs with veggies (onion, bell pepper, chiles, etc), cheese, and salsa. At the end you crunch up some tortilla chips and add them. If you have the veggies cut already it is very quick. It tastes surprisingly delicious to me--now I never want scrambled eggs any other way.

Potato bake- slice up potatoes (skin on), put in shallow baking dish. beat two eggs with tomato (fresh if summer, canned if winter), add cheese, throw over potatoes. If you have any leftover chicken or tofu sprinkle in, or any veggies that are about to go bad, chop em roughly and chuck in.

The prep takes less than 10 minutes for me, then just bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Serve on bread if particularly hungry. So its 30 minutes, but 20 of that is baking time and I love putting the oven on this time of year because it makes the kitchen so toasty!

Does the 10 minutes include cooking time too, or just prep time?

One thing I make frequently is lentils and rice. I just boil lentils in one pot and rice in another. I'll add canned diced tomatoes, and if I have the time/energy, I'll saute some onions and green pepper to add to the sauce. I make a lot of it at once and have it for lunches all week because it reheats really well. I'll add some shredded cheese if I have it around. It takes almost no prep at all, because all you have to do is measure out rice, lentils, and water, turn a knob to get the burner on, and open a can. I'd pack some fruit to go along with it for lunch.

Well, the above link is 10 minutes total, which I love (especially when there are nights that I spend up to an hour of active time in the kitchen). I truly love to cook and usually don't mind spending the time in there, but I'm beginning to realize that I need more quick meals in my arsenal, because lately I've been coming home exhausted and much more than 10 minutes is too much. On those nights we end up eating crap (ie. takeout). Under 10 minutes of prep time but longer if you include cooking time works, too.

Pan-fry sole or cod, running a cube of frozen crushed garlic over the fillets. For sole, it's 2 min. on one side, flip over, 1 min. the other side. Double those times for cod.

Quesedillas

It takes longer than 10 min to cook, but my "carpool roast chicken" is still good for busy evenings. Pull package of chicken legs out of the freezer the night before, place in fridge. In the morning, combine equal parts deli mustard and balsamic vinegar, add a pinch or two of rosemary. Pour marinade over chicken, place back in fridge. After work, rush home, preheat oven to 375, cut some new potatoes in half, place chicken in roasting pan with potatoes and a package of cauliflower florets, and put roasting pan in oven. Rush out to pick up kids from dance class, drop off their friend and pick up my son, come home to find chicken done.

I actually do this for dinner when I need a quick no brainer. Fry an egg. Have 2 pieces of toast going at the same time. Cut and scoop out an avocado and dress with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little lemon juice. Eggs and toast with some butter, avocado is the "salad".

In the summer when tomatoes from farmers market or garden are available, replace avocado with 1 sliced tomato and dress with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Thought to table is less than 10 minutes.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. I keep 2 or 3 cans of tomato soup in my cupboard at all times. For me, it's a comfort food, taken as needed :) I use my George Foreman grill to do the cheese sandwich. Cut up a carrot, or an apple, and that's my meal.

If I don't mind a little more time, this is another (newer) fav of mine

One Boboli pizza crust - smaller size

top with guacamole, pepper jack cheese, chopped red bell pepper and leftover baked chicken, in bite size pieces. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Almost-Instant Black Bean Soup

4 cans of black beans, undrained

1 jar salsa (I like Newman's Own tequila lime)

1-2 cans chicken/vegetable broth

cumin to taste

chili powder to taste

Put beans in a large pot and mash them slightly with a potato masher. Add salsa and spices, then add broth until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Simmer for at least 5 minutes, up to an hour. Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream and cheese--or just eat it plain. :) Also, it's great with quesadillas for dipping!

That black bean soup sounds really good!

It's totally awesome! I keep the ingredients in the cupboard when we go out of town, that way when we come back I can get a quick meal without having to order a pizza. Plus, it makes 8-10 servings and costs less than $5, so it's also a great "oh crap, we need to pay $2,000 to get the car fixed" meal (true story, happened last month!). :lol:

I have a couple of those "oh crap, I've got $5 til payday" meals too, and will be making one tonight. I've got celery, carrots, chicken broth, kidney beans and elbow macaroni. That will turn into vegetable soup. Toast and butter some bread, and there's our meal.

Curry in a Hurry

Vegetarian version:

1 can chick peas

1 package tofu

whatever veggies you have lying around

2 tomatoes, cut up, or drained canned diced tomatoes

garlic

chili pepper or cayenne

curry paste or spices

2 Tbsp oil

Saute veggies with garlic and chili/cayenne. Add tofu. Add chick peas. Add tomatoes. Top with some fresh cilantro.

Chicken version:

Boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks

1 package of cut veggies, fresh or frozen

curry sauce (Nando's is my favorite) or curry paste plus coconut milk

Brown chicken chunks for a few minutes. Add veggies and sauce, continue to cook for 5 min. Serve over rice or couscous.

Pasta Pomodoro

Cook angel hair or spaghettini pasta. While it's cooking, put a clove of garlic, some basil, some fresh tomatoes and a bit of olive oil in a food processor for around 20 seconds. Drain pasta. toss with fresh tomato sauce, add some fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese.

On days I take classes and work I cook up some rice in the morning and I chop up some veggies like broccoli, onions, and carrots. Then I put the rice in a bowl in the fridge and the veggies in a container. When I get home I put the veggies in some sesame oil and cook them up add the rice, soy sauce, and a couple eggs I also toss in some frozen peas. Its so tasty and cheap.

Grilled meat is my version of "fast food". I grill a chicken filet or a steak that only requres two minutes on each side. I serve it with green beans with a little balsamico vinegar and a few slices of baguette.

I also love the Patak sauces with different Indian spices. I fry a chopped yellow onion and one red pepper for a minute, add spinach leaves and a can of rinsed chick peas and pour the Patak sauce over it and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, I warm a pita bread in the oven. I serve it with some plain yoghurt or sour cream.

Boil some pasta. Cut up an onion and some yellow squash (or zucchini, if you like) and saute it in some EVOO, salt and pepper. Then add some kale to the squash mix and put a lid on a for a few till the kale is soft. When the pasta is done drain (obvy) and then mix in with squash/onion/kale. Add some parm and you're done. It's really tasty. It make like 12-15 minutes depending on what type of pasta you use. If you use angel hair it's quicker.

Similar: Pasta, fresh tomatoes, olives, avocado and cilantro. Mix up with EVOO, add feta cheese. Is super delish. Add shrimp or chicken--also tasty.

It's nice to have pre-cooked chicken on hand. You can just roast a chicken on Saturday or whatever and then tear it up and bag it up and you'll have easy chicken for quick dishes all week long.

1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1tbsp ground cumin

1tbsp chili powder

8 flour tortillas

1 cup of cheese, grated

1 cup of salsa

lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole

Rinse beans in cold water, drain well. Combine beans, salsa, cumin and chili powder in large pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about ten minutes, mashing beans slightly with back of wooden spoon. Stir occasionally, adding a little water if mixture looks too dry. Spoon bean mixture into tortillas. Top with cheese, and anything else you like in burritos!

* I eat this a lot...more than I would like to admit....

1. Get angel hair pasta going on stove.

2. Chop 3 cloves garlic.

3. Saute garlic and red pepper flakes in about 5 tablespoons olive oil until garlic just changes color. Get off heat immediately, do not let garlic get real brown or burn because it will get bitter. Add some frozen peas if you want.

4. Sprinkle dried oregano, thyme, basil, or any combination of the 3 into the oil, then add salt and pepper.

5. Drain pasta, put in bowl, add oil mixture and toss.

6. Add grated cheese.

Whole business done in under 10 minutes.

Archived