IGNORED

Yogurt making with Anna...

Justme

Well if you're reading too much into it, then so am I. I'll join you in the X-rated gutter.

AND, in true Stevie fashion, the "questionable" lines from the comments on the blog are gone! Poof! More proof that he reads here. Here's a tip, Steve -- don't let Sarah proof the blog comments because she wouldn't know a sexual innuendo if she saw one. The poor thing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AND, in true Stevie fashion, the "questionable" lines from the comments on the blog are gone! Poof! More proof that he reads here. Here's a tip, Steve -- don't let Sarah proof the blog comments because she wouldn't know a sexual innuendo if she saw one. The poor thing.

Lol! I wondered how long those comments would stay up!

I need to figure out how to make a big batch because my daughters ate all the yogurt! I used a quart of milk but had less than a quart of yogurt because I strained the whey out. How the heck did the girls eat so much? I ate some also but not like my daughters. Holy cow!

Making the yogurt was far easier than I thought it would be. It was also not as runny as I thought it would be.

If I want cream cheese, do I just leave some yogurt to drain overnight?

Skirt yogurt! Yum!

...in combination with the other posts in this thread, my mind went somewhere I REALLY wish it hadn't!!! :shock:

(not that it's hard for my mind to do...! :))

If you don't like the taste of yogurt, you can try making it with some other sort of milk. I've had yogurt made with buffalo milk. Smoothest, richest yogurt I've ever had, and barely tasted "sour" at all. Alas, I cannot find it anymore in my area. *sniffle*

First post here; please be kind. :)

I've made my own yogurt for many years, using a 2-quart Yogourmet machine. Easy peasy. The driving reasons were 1) cost (4 kids), and 2) controlled ingredients. I have one kid with celiac disease and another person in my family who needs a LOT of extra protein in his diet. So I use whole milk, a small quantity of sugar, some whey protein powder, vanilla powder (for flavor), and starter, which is usually a plain, unsweetened yogurt from the grocery store. Sometimes I use unflavored gelatin if I want a firmer product, but I've never tried the straining process. We use the finished yogurt mostly for smoothies.

If you don't like the taste of yogurt, you can try making it with some other sort of milk. I've had yogurt made with buffalo milk. Smoothest, richest yogurt I've ever had, and barely tasted "sour" at all. Alas, I cannot find it anymore in my area. *sniffle*

OMG -- buffalo milk? I have never heard of anyone milking a buffalo! I'm 46 years old -- learn something new every day! :)

OMG -- buffalo milk? I have never heard of anyone milking a buffalo! I'm 46 years old -- learn something new every day! :)

My favorite mozzarella cheese is made from buffalo milk.

Apparently you could milk anything with nipples. Possibly Robert De Niro.

My favorite mozzarella cheese is made from buffalo milk.

Sorry to be the food snob here, but real mozzarella is always made from buffalo milk. My Italian ex would refuse to eat anything else.

I learned how to make yogurt by following the instructions on Fankhauser's cheese page. I had a few not exactly perfect batches when I first started. I had trouble keeping the milk at the right temp. But once I got that down...I was off and running. I've never had to add gelatin to my yogurts.

I'd like to attempt Farmer's Cheese or Marscapone, but need to rearrange my kitchen for more work space first.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

Archived