IGNORED

Yogurt making with Anna...

Justme

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's hard about making yoghurt anyway? Why is that worthy of a blog entry?

Why are they putting gelatin in it anyway? You don't need gelatin in yoghurt.

I just buy yogurt and eat it, too. I don't have the time or desire or even the remotest interest in making my own. Then again, I am a heathen divorcee who gets to make her own choices about what she eats and how she spends her time and what she makes in the kitchen so I'm probably going to burn in hell anyway. Oh well. Add it to the list.

As for Anna and the blog post, they have provided evidence for my theory. Their posts are diminishing because their lives are so freaking boring they have no way to spin any of it. The making yogurt thing has been done to death by submissive Christian keepers AT home.

Link?

I made my own yoghurt after reading "French Women don't Get Fat" (but Swedish women do...).

It was super easy - just heated milk and then let the jars stay warm. Didn't use any gelatin...

The photo of the serving with the fruit on top cracks me up. That's got to be, what, 4 ounces at most? I'm sure that's considered a meal at their house.

Now, I've never made yogurt myself (and I do like to experiment in the kitchen) but is there a way other than dumping some Yoplait into yogurt to create a "starter"?

Link?

I made my own yoghurt after reading "French Women don't Get Fat" (but Swedish women do...).

It was super easy - just heated milk and then let the jars stay warm. Didn't use any gelatin...

North Americans eat their yogurt with gelatin. As you can imagine it's gross. Like gross, gross. I only buy natural/organic stuff or Greek Yogurt (fromage blanc). I hate the texture of yoplaits and stuff here. yuck.

The photo of the serving with the fruit on top cracks me up. That's got to be, what, 4 ounces at most? I'm sure that's considered a meal at their house.

Now, I've never made yogurt myself (and I do like to experiment in the kitchen) but is there a way other than dumping some Yoplait into yogurt to create a "starter"?

you can put any yogurt in there or you can buy the bifidus (at least I saw some in France, since I don't have any yogurt maker, I haven't looked at it here) maybe look in health store?

anyway, my aunt makes them and don't warm the milk, just adds the yogurt and puts the stuff in glass containers in the yogurt maker (it just keeps the yogurts at a certain temperature for the night)

Ex-pat here so they don't use gelatin in European yoghurts? That would make me happy to hear as a vegetarian, who had issues reading containers on vacation in France.

Guest Anonymous

I have made my own yoghurt, but I used a natural starter. Using a pink coloured fruit starter would taint the whole batch. And gelatin....eugh :?

Sarah's writing is very awkward... again:

Setting a timer is a must. We have experienced forgetting it and finding milk boiling out of the pot–it got just a little too hot!

Ex-pat here so they don't use gelatin in European yoghurts? That would make me happy to hear as a vegetarian, who had issues reading containers on vacation in France.

Gelatin in French is "gélatine" or "gélifiant" ;) There should not be animal gelatin, I just checked one where there could be some and it's written fruit pectin (pectine de fruits).

I'm sorry I don't live in France so I can'T go check at the grocery store for you!

I've never heard of it. I know that there is fructose syrup in French yoghurts like Yoplait with fruit so I avoid them and buy other brands.

Here's the recipe I used:

http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/conten ... gurt-maker

Sophie - I'd love to have a yoghurt maker but they aren't sold here. Will look for one next time I visit France!

Gelatin in French is "gélatine" or "gélifiant" ;) There should not be animal gelatin, I just checked one where there could be some and it's written fruit pectin (pectine de fruits).

I'm sorry I don't live in France so I can'T go check at the grocery store for you!

Close enough thank you, we are going back in March and the terms alone are helpful.

I've never heard of it. I know that there is fructose syrup in French yoghurts like Yoplait with fruit so I avoid them and buy other brands.

Here's the recipe I used:

http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/conten ... gurt-maker

Sophie - I'd love to have a yoghurt maker but they aren't sold here. Will look for one next time I visit France!

it's basically just that: http://layaourtiere.com/

You don't need a yogurt maker for good yogurt. Every Indian family I know makes their own yogurt. Start with your own live culture (you can buy a good organic one at the store) and all you need is a cooking pot and an oven to keep things warm. A yogurt maker is a giant waste of money.

Many yoghurts use gelatin (especially the ultra low fat ones and the ones with all sorts of artificial sweeteners).

My mom taught me how to make yoghurt at home before I was 10 (can't remember exactly when) - we never use gelatin - just some yoghurt we have set aside from the last batch. We don't have a yoghurt maker - we just use glass jars and a warm place to set the culture. Sometimes I get busy or forget to make yoghurt and then I buy some from the store - you just have to read the label to make sure there is no gelatin or artificial stuff (I don't like the artificial stuff). If you want to make greek yoghurt - just drain regular (non gelatin) yoghurt with cheesecloth or a coffee filter (that is what I use - cheese cloth is more expensive where I live).

I think there used to be gelatin in yoghurt in Sweden because I remember it being much firmer as a child (at least the "luxury" brand my parents sometimes bought us as a treat). But I know something was removed from them when I was in my early teens because all off a sudden the "luxury" brand was runnier just like the "regular" yoghurt.

I make yogurt in the crockpot once a week and its very simple. Just starter yogurt and milk, its ready for breakfast the next day. I think I posted the recipe in chatter a long time ago

The gelatin makes up for the reduced fat. Skim milk yogurt is very thin and soupy. Because nearly all prepared yogurts these days have reduced or no fat *shudder* they all have gelatin. Basically, it's just sour milk flavoured jello.

Count me as one who makes her own yogurt. I don't understand the need for a blog. It is easy to make and there are a ton of Youtube videos showing you how.

I make yogurt in the crockpot once a week and its very simple. Just starter yogurt and milk, its ready for breakfast the next day. I think I posted the recipe in chatter a long time ago

duh I just remembered that my roomie has a crockpot... can you do it with soy milk?

North Americans eat their yogurt with gelatin. As you can imagine it's gross. Like gross, gross. I only buy natural/organic stuff or Greek Yogurt (fromage blanc). I hate the texture of yoplaits and stuff here. yuck.

I'm a North American who doesn't eat their yogurt with gelatin.

When I make it, I just use yogurt and milk, if I'm using lowfat milk, I might add some powdered milk for texture, but I don't add gelatin, I read about it once, tried it and the texture was off.

Not a submissive Christian, if anything I'm a slightly crunchy, liberal leaning Christian who owns her own house and has her own job with no man around.

duh I just remembered that my roomie has a crockpot... can you do it with soy milk?

I haven't tried, but I don't know why not since they sell soy milk yogurt. If you buy a soy starter yogurt,I assume both soy and cows milk would curdle the same way into yogurt? Maybe try a small batch so you don't waste the soymilk just in case. :)

You don't need a yogurt maker for good yogurt. Every Indian family I know makes their own yogurt. Start with your own live culture (you can buy a good organic one at the store) and all you need is a cooking pot and an oven to keep things warm. A yogurt maker is a giant waste of money.

I have a yogurt maker, I don't think it was a waste of money, but it depends on your style. For me, it works well, because my house temperature isn't stable. (It was a gift, I was making yogurt in a cooler with hot water, and my mom remembered her yogurt maker that she used constantly when we were little and thought it would be nice for me to have instead. I've also heard that some dehydrators work well for making yogurt, but mine is a stackable tray nesco, so it won't work. (good dehydrator if you can't afford an Excalibur, though.)

Archived