IGNORED

Ore. parents arrested in death of son, 16

doggie

Why do we get the killers? where in the bible does it say it is ok to not try to heal your child? to neglect them till they die? hopefully god will not let these assholes into heaven. But I am sure they think they are doing gods will. Wonder if they will vote for santorum?b Sad part is this is anotehr church no the usual one that kills their kids. Two in oregon is scary.

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - Lane County sheriff's officers say the mother and

stepfather of a Creswell, Ore., teen who died last December have been

arrested on second-degree manslaughter charges.Lt. Spence Slater

said Brandi Bellew and Russel Bellew were arrested Friday in the Dec. 20

death of 16-year-old Austin Sprout. The sheriff's office says his

parents declined to seek any medical attention for the boy, "reportedly

due to their religious beliefs." He had been ill for more than a week.Obituary

information provided by the family indicates the parents are affiliated

with the General Assembly and Church of the First Born.The

teen's cause of death has not been released but Slater said medical

professionals have indicated the condition was "highly treatable."Under

Oregon law, second-degree manslaughter includes causing a dependent

person's death by neglect or maltreatment, including failure to provide

adequate medical care.It was not immediately known whether the Bellews were represented by a lawyer.

Stuff like that pisses me off - I was engaged to a guy and his parents were on again / off again Jehovah Witnesses. She got cancer and refused medical treatment because it was against her religion. It wasn't long before she died.

It was so pointless because she may have been able to beat it if she had opted for the medical treatments. But at least in her case, she was a grown women who was capable of making her own decisions. It is criminal when you do that to a child - I'm glad that these parents will be (hopefully) held accountable!

People can believe whatever they like for themselves as adults, but if they refuse necessary medical attention for their minor children, those children should be taken from them and placed in foster care where they can get the medical care they need.

It's no different from starving or beating a child because you had a vision from Jesus or Mohammed or Zeus that told you the rod shouldn't be spared.

We get them in Boregonia because everyone is fearful to prosecute a religious offender but these folks won't have the religious exemption to protect them like the FOC has had in the past.

We get them in Boregonia because everyone is fearful to prosecute a religious offender but these folks won't have the religious exemption to protect them like the FOC has had in the past.

Ugghhhh We do have the crazies here. I was shocked, simply shocked, to move to Eastern Oregon and see a Four Square Church next to a Pentecostal dancin in the aisles, sinner-be-healed/Doctors are evil Church. Oregon is only liberal in Portland and the college towns. I completely agree with letting the conservative part of Oregon to adjoin to Idaho.

This is murder, plain and simple. If I didn't feed my child and she died, even if I said I was doing it to teach her about sin, I would be charged with murder, and rightly so.

There was a Family Guy episode in which Lois and Peter kidnapped a sick boy whose parents didn't believe in medical care, instead deciding to wait for god to heal their son. Lois ended up asking them how did they know if medical science wasn't god's gift to use to heal people?

I completely agree with letting the conservative part of Oregon to adjoin to Idaho.

Hey, whoa, Idaho has plenty of its own crazy conservativism. I live in the one county where us eeeeevil liberals are actually a majority. The rest of the state looks at us like we're from Mars. (A lot of us are from California, actually, though I'm not.) I know the crazies are a PITA but please, we don't need more here. Trust me. *looks at the pretty mountains and falls in love with this place for the fifty billionth time since she moved here despite the insanity*

This is murder, plain and simple. If I didn't feed my child and she died, even if I said I was doing it to teach her about sin, I would be charged with murder, and rightly so.

Agreed. I despise people who refuse medical care for their children. I don't understand people who don't "believe in it" for themselves but at least they are adults. You let your child die? Absolutely despicable. Stay in prison and for the love of God don't have any more, you have proven yourself the worst possible sort of parent there is.

A girl I went to college with was super fundie- super religious, skirts only, never cut her hair, etc. She and her husband refused medical treatment for their child (baby #3) and the baby girl died from a staph infection when she was less than two days old. They were convicted and spent a year each in a work release center. The judge did allow them to serve the time separately so one of them could be home with their other children. I looked her up on Facebook and it seems she might not be as fundie as she was in college. Their church was in hot water because there had been 3 children who had died in just a few years. So sad.

A girl I went to college with was super fundie- super religious, skirts only, never cut her hair, etc. She and her husband refused medical treatment for their child (baby #3) and the baby girl died from a staph infection when she was less than two days old. They were convicted and spent a year each in a work release center. The judge did allow them to serve the time separately so one of them could be home with their other children. I looked her up on Facebook and it seems she might not be as fundie as she was in college. Their church was in hot water because there had been 3 children who had died in just a few years. So sad.

In Canada, we have public health nurses who are Nazi's but check on newborn babies as long as they wish to, to be sure that the baby is thriving. If the mother does not let them in, they phone every relative within 2 days drive to get updates. If there is a hint of something going wrong, they step up their visits. I am sure that if they saw something like this they would have called CPS and had the baby readmitted to hospital. Home birth or not.

Second-degree manslaughter seems pretty lenient to me. I feel like anywhere but in America it would be a bigger charge.

QFT...

Indeed. 2nd degree manslaughter? That's nothing. With an adept lawyer that plays on the "religious" angle they might even beat this.

Makes me ill. :cry:

QFT...

Indeed. 2nd degree manslaughter? That's nothing. With an adept lawyer that plays on the "religious" angle they might even beat this.

Makes me ill. :cry:

The religious angle does not work in Oregon. there was a law passed just for one church that has had numerous children die because of neglect. three sets of parents have been found guilty. the worst was a mom and dad that let their baby die only to be followed by their parents letting their 16 year old die.

The church with the prior history of children being allowed to die is the Followers of Christ Church in Oregon City. Google the name and see how many babies/children have died. It is criminal.

The 16 year old boy who died recently was a member of the Church of the First Born. I saw the boy's father on the news, discussing his son's death. The father said the boy made his own choice in not seeking medical treatment and there was nothing he could have done. This was the way it was supposed to be. He made it sound like his son just missed the school bus. I wanted to smack him. I bet the son had to be obey the father in everything else-I bet Daddy is now trying to avoid being blamed for allowing his son to die.

Oregon is an odd state; lots of liberals, mostly in the Portland area and Eugene, and lots of conservatives, mainly in the eastern and southern parts of the the state. Both of the above churches are near Portland and Eugene so I guess they are the exceptions to those two places being liberal.

Archived