IGNORED

Josh Powell/Westboro Baptist

WonderingInWA

I actually don't even have words to describe how infuriated I am to read this. The lost of lives was tragic enough, but for Westboro to show up and protest gay marriage in Washington state at the funeral of two boys murdered by their own father, I just can't fathom.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Anti-gay-church-to-protest-Powell-boys-memorial-service-139022314.html

It's the depth of lazy journalism for a newspaper to give WBC coverage of this length, much less a tv/radio news operation!!!

If the media would just round-file the news releases when they arrive, or give them the briefest mentions after the fact, WBC's momentum would slow quicker than a welfare queen at a job fair.

The recent coverage in Saint Louis, Missouri, media makes that clear. To the journalists' credit, the coverage focused on the counter-protests. But had there been no coverage at all, it would've dug much deeper into the rotted heart [sic] of WBC.

I mean, really. Waht's the news angle, here? The memorial for two babies killed horrifically is news enough. The fact that WBC will protest gay marriage at the memorial of the grandchildren of a convicted perv is completely and totally illogical. Who at the memorial service gives a crap about gay marriage? They are emotionally drained at the senseless deaths of the innocents.

There's no good reason for any media outlet to cover the protests at the service.

It's the depth of lazy journalism for a newspaper to give WBC coverage of this length, much less a tv/radio news operation!!!

If the media would just round-file the news releases when they arrive, or give them the briefest mentions after the fact, WBC's momentum would slow quicker than a welfare queen at a job fair.

The recent coverage in Saint Louis, Missouri, media makes that clear. To the journalists' credit, the coverage focused on the counter-protests. But had there been no coverage at all, it would've dug much deeper into the rotted heart [sic] of WBC.

I mean, really. Waht's the news angle, here? The memorial for two babies killed horrifically is news enough. The fact that WBC will protest gay marriage at the memorial of the grandchildren of a convicted perv is completely and totally illogical. Who at the memorial service gives a crap about gay marriage? They are emotionally drained at the senseless deaths of the innocents.

There's no good reason for any media outlet to cover the protests at the service.

THAT.

They've specifically said that the only reason they carry on with this crap,is that the media gives them attention for it. Theres a simple way to solve it. Just try your best to ignore it.

Guest Anonymous
WBC's momentum would slow quicker than a welfare queen at a job fair.

WTF. :?

I imagine this is supposed to be a joke, but it's coming off way more mean-spirited than funny to me. Of course I believe that the vast majority of people on welfare would much rather have a job that pays a living wage than have to jump through government hoops and weather the scorn of others just so their family can remain fed, clothed, and sheltered.

**Edited because I failed at posting the first time.

Westboro does it again!I want to put this out there for my, fewer than 80, FB folks. We're generally of the same mindset, and I don't want to give the news-outlet any more hits.

They've specifically said that the only reason they carry on with this crap,is that the media gives them attention for it. Theres a simple way to solve it. Just try your best to ignore it.

Well-taken, Clover. I will try, and try again, though the Phelps family disgusts me more than being forced to consume Natto, while in a SHU, surrounded by rutting dogs.

Worse yet, Occupy Seattle is going to be at the funeral to provide protection from Westboro Church. So Occupy Seattle gets publicity, Westboro gets publicity, and they are both disrupting a funeral for two murdered little boys. - disgusting.

I'd imagine the bikers who do a counter-protest for such things will be there, protecting the mourners. If they do that for soldiers, they'll do it for children.

Worse yet, Occupy Seattle is going to be at the funeral to provide protection from Westboro Church. So Occupy Seattle gets publicity, Westboro gets publicity, and they are both disrupting a funeral for two murdered little boys. - disgusting.

I think the family should call the Freedom Riders in.

Occupy Seattle is not going to counter-protest, confront, or otherwise disrupt the funeral procession. They are helping to mobilize people to provide a human shield, holding up blankets, umbrellas, tarps, whatever to prevent the Cox family and friends from seeing the Westboro people. Occupy will not be holding signs, and will maintain silence. The practice of forming a human shield is one that has been used effectively at other Phelps protests.

I think the family should call the Freedom Riders in.

It's against their (Freedom Riders) charter to provide a shield at any event other than a memorial to a fallen soldier.

It's against their (Freedom Riders) charter to provide a shield at any event other than a memorial to a fallen soldier.

Which is why Occupy Seattle is meeting the need in this case.

WTF. :?

I imagine this is supposed to be a joke, but it's coming off way more mean-spirited than funny to me. Of course I believe that the vast majority of people on welfare would much rather have a job that pays a living wage than have to jump through government hoops and weather the scorn of others just so their family can remain fed, clothed, and sheltered.

**Edited because I failed at posting the first time.

Caught this one, too. In the interest of the topic at hand, though, I'm willing to set aside any resentments I might have at the premise of this analogy. As a former "welfare queen", I went to more than my share of job fairs to choke a horse. Needless to say, none of the jobs I'd ever gotten were through these cattle calls but by sheer determination to beat out the competition when I had an opportunity. Leave it to the Phelpses' to show up at this tragic event -- ya gotta hand it to 'em..

Thanks, Lissar. You and your modest dog always come through for the poor! I guess I am probably a welfare queen. I have a ton of kids and I live in subsidized housing and buy the Valentine's Day cupcakes for my son's class with a SNAP card. Like most welfare queens, I also work full-time and I am just desperate to get out of this goddamned mess.

I know MJB meant no harm, but it cannot hurt to say it!

Guest Anonymous

I get what MamaJuneBug meant. There are certain people on public assistance who avoid job fairs like the plague. And it's that group of people she's probably referring to, not all people on welfare.

Meh. They are attention seekers and media vultures. Wherever there are cameras and even the slightest chance that their names will get into the news, the WBC is there! This is also a great opportunity for emotions to flare and for someone to attack them (thus resulting in a big fat law suit and a whole whack of money).

The kids may have drunk the kool-aid but Fred Phelps is a skeevy lawyer who just wants to make money. He found a niche and he is very successful.

The less attention people give them, the better. Let them protest. Let people walk by and laugh at them. Fuck them.

I've made my friends promise that when I die they will get the WBC to picket my funeral. I will know I have made it big if they do!

From the Patriot Guard Website:

BRADEN AND CHARLIE POWELL

The Patriot Guard Riders are not a counter protest group. We have a very specific mission statement that focuses on our Fallen Heroes that have served our country and citizens. As a non-profit organization we are bound by law to adhere to our mission statement. Violating that could prevent the organization from continuing to honor our fallen military and first responders.

We understand the sorrow the family is experiencing and offer our condolences in their loss and hopes that no protesters will attempt to twist their pain for some media exposure. The best way to prevent these folks from attending funerals is to deny them media coverage and attention. That is the only reason they would be there.

Life Center Church officials, (where the funeral will be held) say anyone "attempting to use media attention for grotesque political demonstrations will be asked to remain off church property."

Here is the Facebook page that was created:

https://www.facebook.com/events/232968660125486/

I get what MamaJuneBug meant. There are certain people on public assistance who avoid job fairs like the plague. And it's that group of people she's probably referring to, not all people on welfare.

No, that doesn't cut it as an excuse. Lissar was right.

You can't stereotype a whole huge group of people and be all like "Well, I didn't mean YOU, I meant the bad ones" when a member of that group complains. Like emmiedahl, I am on welfare. She has the food stamps and I am on the waiting list for a council flat. Which of us is the welfare queen?

(On a related note, I wonder how many people saw the words "welfare queen at a job fair" and pictured a white person...)

Guest Anonymous

Me...there are lots of 'em where I come from. We call them "white trash". As far as I'm concerned "welfare queens" are a group all to themselves. They disgust me! I work my ass off & part of my pay check goes towards their welfare so they can sit on their lazy asses and do nothing but breed like rabbits, stay on welfare for generations, and never bother looking for a job! Yeah, those people do exist and are not even in the same realm as people who genuinely need welfare. BTW, it's not an excuse is a reality!

Me...there are lots of 'em where I come from. We call them "white trash". As far as I'm concerned "welfare queens" are a group all to themselves. They disgust me! I work my ass off & part of my pay check goes towards their welfare so they can sit on their lazy asses and do nothing but breed like rabbits, stay on welfare for generations, and never bother looking for a job! Yeah, those people do exist and are not even in the same realm as people who genuinely need welfare. BTW, it's not an excuse is a reality!

BTW, not only have I been on welfare multiple times, I used to be a benefits officer (in charge of dishing it out). There's not much you can tell me about welfare I don't already know.

There are no welfare queens. It does not pay that much. People who look like they are doing well on welfare are doing one of three things. Taking on massive loans from some very nasty people indeed, dishonestly claiming (taking cash in hand jobs on the side, or dabbling in areas even more illegal than that) or spending their cash, rather pitifully, not on the basic stuff they need but on things to keep up with the Joneses. None of these states are enviable.

(yet another) thing I hate about the term "white trash" is why it specifies white. Is the unspoken assumption that obviously everyone else is trash... but these people are WHITE trash? I never hear people call a couple "brown trash" as a put down.

Guest Anonymous

My white trash comment was mean to counter "I wonder how many people saw the words "welfare queen at a job fair" and pictured a white person..." comment. If "white trash" is offensive, then shouldn't the word fundie be as well? Both are more or less stereotypes.

Okay, but this thread is about a man who killed his two children in a raging gasoline-induced house explosion, lost his own life in same explosion, whose wife mysteriously disappeared 2 years ago, and the Westboro Baptist Church is pissed off enough about gay marriage passing in Washington state to send their people to protest about gays at the funeral of the two boys on Saturday.

It's not about white trash or welfare recipients. Let's stay focused.

Archived