IGNORED

How do the Duggars teach their kids about sex?

SpeakNow

Personally, I think I'd be more squicked out that someone was teaching their small girl to call her vulva her pussy, but that's just me.

Agreed. I couldn't think of any other euphemisms in the moment and I know I've heard of some girls being taught to use that one. Very disturbing.

I've been trying to remember what my parents had me call mine when I was little... and honestly, I think I was taught to call my vulva my "front" so there was my "front" and my "bottom" :roll:

My parents never taught me how to use tampons or even told me they existed. My girls will know about all of their options. They've seen me use my menstrual cup and they assume that they'll each be getting one of their own someday. I'm not going to start them off with that unless they insist since there's definitely a learning curve, but hopefully they'll be comfortable enough with themselves to use whatever they want to.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Josh look so embarrassed during that talk. I actually feel sorry for him. Whether you're getting The Talk as an adult or at a younger age, it's not really the type of thing that you want caught on camera. Can't they just have a private conversation? I'm sure JB got money for plugging that book on his show and his son's privacy mattered far less than money. It's quite a feat to make me actually feel sorry for Smuggar.

Guest Anonymous

Looks like Anna took a few tips from the Today show makeup artists and learned how to apply her makeup correctly and lost the crunchy curls. Other than the natural mommy weight, I think she looks significantly better these days. Too bad I can't say the same about her headship.

I also go to the store with the girls and we usually get a makeup bag and fill it with lotion, some pretty perfume,

Okay, this bugs me to no end. Perfume is not pretty. It is not something that is outwardly nice to look at. How about pretty smelling perfume? Gaaah! The lack of concern for proper grammar and diction is painful.

I'd also like to formally admit I have a perfume addiction. I own and buy more than I should. Ulta and BABW get more of my money than they should. Luckily/unluckily for me, I have taste for expensive perfume lately - Coach and the like -- so I haven't gotten more in ages

Okay, this bugs me to no end. Perfume is not pretty. It is not something that is outwardly nice to look at. How about pretty smelling perfume? Gaaah! The lack of concern for proper grammar and diction is painful.

I'd also like to formally admit I have a perfume addiction. I own and buy more than I should. Ulta and BABW get more of my money than they should. Luckily/unluckily for me, I have taste for expensive perfume lately - Coach and the like -- so I haven't gotten more in ages

Perfume rarely gets used in my house. My dad has asthma and if my mother uses a certain perfume, my dad can hardly breathe. My dad keeps telling my mom that she should wear more perfume, but she's like "But I don't want to kill you!"

I read this differently. I read it as, "Pick a pretty looking bottle of perfume that you can keep on your dresser. It's only to look at and not to use, because smelling sexually attractive would be defrauding to men".

I read this differently. I read it as, "Pick a pretty looking bottle of perfume that you can keep on your dresser. It's only to look at and not to use, because smelling sexually attractive would be defrauding to men".

Oooh, that's a good point.

Something in a colorful plastic, flower shaped vial that smells like froot loops on acid, I assume.

Oooh, that's a good point.

Something in a colorful plastic, flower shaped vial that smells like froot loops on acid, I assume.

And certainly not that bottle of perfume that is shaped like the upper body of a woman... :naughty:

Well, the Duggars are known for odd use of language. Couldn't this be pretty in the sense of "cleverly or elegantly made or done" or perhaps "pleasing to the senses"? I'm cribbing this directly from the OED, you understand. It's amazing how common words build up multiple definitions in this way!

Still a bit of a strange gift. All that perfume, wouldn't it make the house stink like a bordello?

Okay, here's my opinion: Most of her post is pretty normal. How each parent prefers to discuss sex with their offspring is up to them, just as long as they do it.

HOWEVER, what I find strange is that the girls feel the need to be prayed over before they start hanging around boys. Can you imagine feeling guilty before your even leave the house? Weird.

Do the J'Slaves have dressers in their bedroom?

If they do, I don't think they could use the possessive pronoun ("your" / "my") to describe it, since everything seems to be communal.

I know they have a ... a vanity, I think, with a couple sinks and a large mirror. Sisters is painted over it. There is a picture somewhere of it...

Agreed. I couldn't think of any other euphemisms in the moment and I know I've heard of some girls being taught to use that one. Very disturbing.

I've been trying to remember what my parents had me call mine when I was little... and honestly, I think I was taught to call my vulva my "front" so there was my "front" and my "bottom" :roll:

My parents never taught me how to use tampons or even told me they existed. My girls will know about all of their options. They've seen me use my menstrual cup and they assume that they'll each be getting one of their own someday. I'm not going to start them off with that unless they insist since there's definitely a learning curve, but hopefully they'll be comfortable enough with themselves to use whatever they want to.

We had "front parts" and "back parts". My parents were pretty good about giving me accurate answers when I asked for them, but for some reason they felt the need to give stupid names to butts and genitals.

My mom didn't let me use tampons until I went out and got my own, at which point she gave in. Her reasoning: it was gross.

We had "front parts" and "back parts". My parents were pretty good about giving me accurate answers when I asked for them, but for some reason they felt the need to give stupid names to butts and genitals.

My mom didn't let me use tampons until I went out and got my own, at which point she gave in. Her reasoning: it was gross.

My mom told me to start with pads, and when I felt ready she would teach me how to use tampons. It took me a while before I felt ready, but I'm glad she had such an open attitude.

In my house we called all body parts by their correct names, but when we were out and about we usually used the term "bottom" for some reason. I'm honestly not sure why.

If they do, I don't think they could use the possessive pronoun ("your" / "my") to describe it, since everything seems to be communal.

I've thought about that before, too. It doesn't seem like the kids really have anything that they can call "mine" in the true sense of the word.

I've thought about that before, too. It doesn't seem like the kids really have anything that they can call "mine" in the true sense of the word.

They get a drawer in their dorm for their personal items. You know, like inmates in a supermax prison.

The girls each have a drawer in the vanity and/or dresser. I guess with more girls, the little ones' are in the vanity and they likely share. I seem to remember a tall dresser as well, which would serve each of the five older girls.

Still, don't they think anoiting themselves with perfume is slutty/seductive, unless you're anoiting Jesus before the crucifixion?

Still, don't they think anoiting themselves with perfume is slutty/seductive, unless you're anoiting Jesus before the crucifixion?

Nah ya just put it on where his wounds were, and then Jesus smiles.

Archived