IGNORED

Bayly Bros willfully misinterpret Scripture to heckle mag

MamaJunebug

.baylyblog.com/2012/01/knives-are-necessary-to-cut-meat-and-bread-yet-sometimes-knives-are-used-to-kill-people-can-we-all-agree-knives-arent-the-p.html

Not sure why I broke the link, as they obviously know about us.

In brief, the bubbas chastise "Christianity Today" for an article that calls for spanking as a last resort.

They then quote about every Biblical passage their concordances list with the words "rod" and "discipline."

Here's the thing: shepherds used (still use) rods NOT to beat, but to curb and re-direct the sheep.

And the other thing: "discipline" in the verses means "training," NOT punishment.

Y'know -- like a disciplined athlete who sticks to her training regimen; or the discipline of maths or music, in which a child is trained first in the basics and progressively in the theory and mastery.

I just watched an ep of Amerca's Supernanny. Family of 4 boys aged 6&4 who were literally dangerous terrors to themselves. The nanny showed the parents how to train and curb the misbehavior out of the boys with consistent rules and appropriate tones of voice. The ONLY physical contact other than congratulatory hugs and high-5's was the parents carrying the little sinners ;) back to their calm-down corner. One boy had to be toted back 108 times, but after the 108th he did serve his 3 minutes and got a hug.

Show ended with 6 MUCH happier people. And not ONE swat. No beating rod of ANY kind in sight.

Apologies for the all-caps. iPhone.

They have this really weird post here in which they express approval of French parents' superior ability to manage their children:

http://www.baylyblogDOTcom/2012/02/do-t ... ering.html

It's weird because I didn't think evil secular Europeans could do anything right.

It's also weird because I basically agree with the French parenting methods described in the article, but that means I am agreeing with the Baylys and about child discipline of all things. That can't be right! The article stresses that French parents talk in terms of "educating" rather than "disciplining" their children. The article also talks about the importance of not constantly giving your kids instant gratification; I agree with the notion of set meal and snack times, rather than giving kids non-stop access to food, and I also agree that kids generally shouldn't be allowed to interrupt adult conversation. I also liked the idea of giving kids clear boundaries coupled with a great deal of freedom within those boundaries. All good stuff, and not a word about spanking! Can someone tell me what happened to the real Baylys???

Archived