IGNORED

1st Term Obama Approval

jericho

I hear the Roman government was not exactly frugal, yet you know what Jesus said about taxes....

eta: jericho, if you have a problem with government spending, start writing letters. But defunding the government and advocating for no social welfare programs won't stop the waste.

I'm not against all government welfare programs. But only enough for a safety net. It's like feeding a stray cat. You know it will keep coming back until you stop feeding it. There have to be limits.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had a flat rate, it would hurt the poor.

Ten percent taken from a poor person's income can keep them from affording basics like food or health care. Ten percent taken from a wealthy person isn't going to prevent them from owning a home, buying decent food, saving for retirement or affording health care.

I'm not against all government welfare programs. But only enough for a safety net. It's like feeding a stray cat. You know it will keep coming back until you stop feeding it. There have to be limits.

Did you just compare people who need assistance to stray cats? That's fucking demeaning. There are people who need a helping hand to get back on their feet. I was one of those when I became unemployed in the late '90's. I got re-trained to do web development and now I have my own business and also teach for the same program that trained me.

Others will need assistance for the rest of their lives, if they are severely disabled or elderly. They are not stray cats, they are human beings. Go read the Sermon on the Mount, you fuckwit.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians."

And you still haven't explained why you think going back the top tax rate we had in the 1950's would take away our freedoms.

Did you just compare people who need assistance to stray cats? That's fucking demeaning. There are people who need a helping hand to get back on their feet. I was one of those when I became unemployed in the late '90's. I got re-trained to do web development and now I have my own business and also teach for the same program that trained me.

Others will need assistance for the rest of their lives, if they are severely disabled or elderly. They are not stray cats, they are human beings. Go read the Sermon on the Mount, you fuckwit.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians."

I was making an analogy. Certainly humans are more important than stray cats. (although PETA might disagree) And we aren't talking about the disabled. That's an entire different situation. People should not be on government aid for their entire life. Let's create programs to get people on their feet with education/training instead of programs that just hand out freebies forever.

Again, back to what your Jesus said. Did he say to give only to responsible governments? Did he say to give only as much as you deem fit? Or did he say to pay your damn taxes?

We don't have a safety netnow--or at least we have one that is mainly holes. Building a safety net is what liberals want.

And the comparison to stray cat; I guess we should not be shocked, that is how conservatives view the working classes.

I was making an analogy. Certainly humans are more important than stray cats. (although PETA might disagree) And we aren't talking about the disabled. That's an entire different situation. People should not be on government aid for their entire life. Let's create programs to get people on their feet with education/training instead of programs that just hand out freebies forever.

Right, you were making an analogy comparing people to mangy animals. Showing your true colors.

Welfare has a five year limit (a liberal president passed that bill, do you remember who?). So people are not getting cash aid forever.

As for food and medical, the majority of people on these programs work. If someone can work full time and still not be able to afford food and medical care, we either need to have the government provide it or force employers to pay more/offer benefits. I think the first option, combined with taxing wealthier people who benefit from paying workers substandard wages, is more efficient. But I am willing to vote in the second.

What do you mean, the disabled are "an entire (sic) different situation?" You are against government programs and think private charity can do a better job of taking care of the disabled than SSI and Medicaid. Despite the fact that you have no evidence to support that the disabled were better off before programs like SSI existed.

As far as programs that hand out freebies forever to able-bodied people-wtf? Were you asleep in the '90's when welfare reform happened? The T in TANF is for temporary. It's focused on training and job search and is time-limited. You really have no fucking clue about public policy and are just sharing your emotional impressions here.

Many, many people who receive assistance like food stamps and SCHIP kids' insurance are working full time.

Jericho, why are you okay with violating the words of Jesus? You are a Christian, right? He said give to the government what belongs to the government and that if anyone (and this includes the government) demands your money, you should give it and not ask for it back. Why aren't you displaying a Christ-like attitude on this thread? Do you only care about the Bible when it comes to trying to claim it says to save the fetuses?

ETA: It just amuses me that when it comes to abortions Jericho is all "It is so wrong and the Bible says so I just can't find any verses to prove that, but it is in there I'm sure so I'm going to obey." But when it comes to cheerfully giving up your money to anyone (including the government) who demands it he completely ignores direct quotes from Jesus.

Archived