IGNORED

Bateses trying to suck up all the "J" names?

FrancineFishpaw

"We took a vote, didn't like the outcome, then scrapped democracy in favor of phallocracy".

LOL. That's what I was thinking, but better. And hey, when you've got fewer than 20 people who could legitimately vote on the name, winning by 2 votes is kind of a lot. I wish they'd share the other names they were considering...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it was, let's vote on the name, but you better agree with Daddy or the voting doesn't count. Why bother?

The Duggars don't have a Jeb. They have Jed, short for Jedidiah.

I went to a baby name site and Jeb ---> Jebidiah (American version of...) ---> Jedidiah. Which happens to have the definition of "Jeb" that Kelly gave, save the crap about coal.

Jebediah is a Biblical name. It's legitimately different from Jedidiah. But it still sounds awfully close to Jedidiah, I sure wouldn't have picked that if I had close friends with a son by that name!

Add me to the camp of people who think the Bateses are purposefully trying to give their children "J" names.

I don't know, but I suspect they chose the name Jeb because of their love of the Confederacy? After all, Jeb was also the nickname for Confederate Major General James Ewell Brown Stuart, who was also known as Jeb Stuart?

Edited to add a picture of the confederate officer Jeb Bates may have been named for.

http://www.freestateofpatrick.com/ jebbookcovergwbdcolor6x9scan.jpg

Jebediah is a Biblical name. It's legitimately different from Jedidiah. But it still sounds awfully close to Jedidiah, I sure wouldn't have picked that if I had close friends with a son by that name!

I know they're different names; the site said that Jebediah is more commonly used in the US than Jedidiah, but that the latter was the root name (and the same "meaning").

That said, I seriously doubt Gil was thinking biblically, but had a Confederate flag in the back of his head when he "over-rode" everyone else's wishes. They had to cave regarding the Nathan Bedford Forrest picture in their "All-American" room, or whatever the fuck they call it, but with the ambiguity, he can get away with naming another kid after a Confederate war general who also helped capture John Brown at Harper's Ferry.

Sweet.

Jebidiah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows, foo'.

Tonight Gil and Kelly are gonna party like it's 1699! :lol:

I strongly believe, due to the Bateses love of the confederacy, this is the fellow little Jeb Bates was named for.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz29.jpg

If he had been named after the biblical character Yididyah, the English translation seems to be Jedediah, as in the verse 2 Samuel 12:25 "And he sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet; and he called his name Jedidiah, because of the LORD."

Looks like the Duggars had the correct biblical version, and the Bateses are either spelling it wrong, or want to pay homage to their beloved confederacy again.

Although....I wonder if before Gil and Kelly turned fundie, they listened to Weird Al Yankovic's Amish Paradise?

I know they're different names; the site said that Jebediah is more commonly used in the US than Jedidiah, but that the latter was the root name (and the same "meaning").

That said, I seriously doubt Gil was thinking biblically, but had a Confederate flag in the back of his head when he "over-rode" everyone else's wishes. They had to cave regarding the Nathan Bedford Forrest picture in their "All-American" room, or whatever the fuck they call it, but with the ambiguity, he can get away with naming another kid after a Confederate war general who also helped capture John Brown at Harper's Ferry.

Sweet.

LOL.

I am picturing a little Confederate flag floating in the thought bubble above Gil's head everywhere he goes. Those poor kids...

It makes me wonder how awful the other name choices were, if they were so terrible that Gil would prefer Jeb over them.

Seriously. Hey, they haven't used Gil Jr. yet, have they? I wonder why not?

Archived