IGNORED

The Voice

reds

I watched the first season thinking I was really going to like it, and I do like the concept of the auditions with the coaches picking people based only on what they sound like, but other than that, I just hate it. Once they get into the battle rounds or whatever it's called, it turns into a popularity contest with all the contestants dressed in the most ridiculous outfits and singing the same few popular top 40 tunes. Plus, I can't stand the announcer or host or whatever he is, and all the filler footage of people walking down the sidewalk with their parents/significant other/children/grandma/roommate/whoever and talking about how they need to win this so they can quit their sucky job and do something worthwhile. And I swear they have a commercial every ten seconds.

Sorry for the rant. I don't have much patience for competition reality shows.

I just watched it for the first time last week. Adam is extremely adorable and Celo was crazy like a James Bond character petting the Persian cat. I don't if I will watch it every week. I really cannot stand Christina and even my 12 year old daughter said she looks fake like a barbie. I don't know anything about Blake as I don't like country music.

I actually expected to hate Blake Shelton, but I don't mind him so much, although I do remember the whole thing that went down on Twitter, which was decidedly uncool. On the other hand, I don't find Cee Lo's open drooling over any even slightly attractive, female contestant to be much better, frankly. It started out mildly funny but turned the corner to creepy and borderline misogynistic pretty quickly. I thought the battle rounds were kind of lame last time, but some really great singers came out of it, so it wasn't too terrible.

I heard a lot of stuff last season that wasn't just current, Top 40 stuff. There were the sisters who sang "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," Vicci Martinez doing "Jolene," a pretty good helping of classic rock stuff- I actually found it a pleasant change from the usual Idol stuff precisely because there was a mix of music, and several of the really current songs that were done were done with some kind of a spin on them (like Dia Frampton's version of "Heartless," which was really fantastic, I thought). The backstory stuff isn't any different than Idol or America's Got Talent or any of those other shows.

Also, the woman who did "Maybe I'm Amazed" the first week was phenomenal. Though I adore that song, so it's possible I'm biased. I thought this week's folks were a little mediocre, but last week's were pretty solid. Some of the judges need to get it together and start picking people/convincing people to join their team, or they're going to be stuck picking whoever's available later in the blind auditions. I agree that the show would be way more interesting if we (and the judges) didn't see the contestants until later in the process, but I'm not sure how marketable that would be.

I heard a lot of stuff last season that wasn't just current, Top 40 stuff. There were the sisters who sang "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," Vicci Martinez doing "Jolene," a pretty good helping of classic rock stuff- I actually found it a pleasant change from the usual Idol stuff precisely because there was a mix of music, and several of the really current songs that were done were done with some kind of a spin on them (like Dia Frampton's version of "Heartless," which was really fantastic, I thought). The backstory stuff isn't any different than Idol or America's Got Talent or any of those other shows.

Okay, fair. I admit, I did give up pretty quickly last season, mostly because I don't have time to consistently watch more than one or two TV shows a week and nothing is ever going to trump NCIS. And I hate America's Got Talent for a lot of the same reasons. I probably just shouldn't watch these performance competition shows.

I am working during half the prime time shows so I'm only current on the ones I REALLY want to see, and remember to DVR. Plus I'm not big on competition shows. So every time someone mentions this show, I think they're talking about the panel show with Sarah Gilbert and company, the younger version of The View. And then someone mentions Cee Lo and the crazy cat or Christina and I'm like "oh. THAT show." LOL!

*LOL* I gotta tell y'all, I turned it on tonight, but only because Kelly Clarkson was working with Blake Shelton! Love her, but of course, we barely got to hear her opinions or advice or anything. :P But yeah...Never really been able to get into it for some reason. I'm pretty much an American Idol kinda girl, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Please disregard the new post with my greatest apologies! I didn't find the original post but it is now linked below. All conversation moving there.

Moving my comments here. Under Spoiler tag.

Two things pissed me off from the last two episodes this week. One being what Christina said to Tony Lucca about him being one dimensional.... she needs to look in the mirror. Why is she a coach on there again?

Second being Cee Lo picking Chessa over Tony Vincent to save. That just pissed me off. In my opinion, Chessa shouldn't have made it out of the battle rounds, let alone her being picked over Tony Vincent! Seriously, he was so much better.

I really only watch the blind auditions to be honest - after that I find it gets boring. I'm like that with American Idol and other shows of that ilk as well. I guess it's just really not my thing.

Archived