IGNORED

Maxwell Conference Spring 2012

Justme

Harnessing the power of a team...... but led, of course, only by Steve. No sign of Teri in the credits :lol:

That's right up there with fundies, including many who've come here, who insist they believe a married couple is equal, is a partnership, is not one lording it over the other...but the man is in charge. :lol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was in ATI, I wouldn't exactly be running off to hear advice on Courtship from someone who has a pretty and accomplished 30 year old daughter still waiting...

I wouldn't either. But some fundies will eat up crap like this. Steve will manage to get some people to attend that conference who will ignore Sarah's age. I think the Malley family is a bit worse than the Maxwell family. Sarah Malley is 32 or 33 and isn't married and she basically acts like a huge expert on relationships. At least Sarah Maxwell isn't a huge talker on certain things like Malley is.

I wouldn't either. But some fundies will eat up crap like this. Steve will manage to get some people to attend that conference who will ignore Sarah's age. I think the Malley family is a bit worse than the Maxwell family. Sarah Malley is 32 or 33 and isn't married and she basically acts like a huge expert on relationships. At least Sarah Maxwell isn't a huge talker on certain things like Malley is.

Yeah, they do. How many flocked, and still flock, to Gothard? The man who has never been married or raised a family or homeschooled telling people how to do just that and more? Totally a case of truth being stranger than fiction.

People who are too insecure in their own ability to make choices and decisions will turn to anyone offering up 'easy answers'. That's how all the fundie asshats make money; they take complete advantage of human weaknesses.

Can you just imagine being some teenage girl and sitting through an hour long lecture on courtship from STEVE????

That has just GOTTA be awkward! I thought most of the other sessions for teens (I'm impressed he uses the word "teens," actually - though it's possible he thinks OTHER kids are "teens" but wouldn't call his own kids that) were by the younger (teen!!) Maxwells or at least the 20-somethings...

Guest Anonymous

Up til now, the 'teen' sessions were just run by the Maxwell "children". Though Steve would never have allowed his children to attend "teen sessions" for fear of ungodly influences...

I suppose he has to run the courtship session though - it is not as if any of the remaining "children" could speak with authority on the matter. :shock:

Up til now, the 'teen' sessions were just run by the Maxwell "children". Though Steve would never have allowed his children to attend "teen sessions" for fear of ungodly influences...

I suppose he has to run the courtship session though - it is not as if any of the remaining "children" could speak with authority on the matter. :shock:

What truly involved father (according to daddy Maxwell) would allow his teen to attend a session given by a man who is not a member of their immediate family? Steve wouldn't, yet he expects others to do the opposite of what he preaches.

What truly involved father (according to daddy Maxwell) would allow his teen to attend a session given by a man who is not a member of their immediate family? Steve wouldn't, yet he expects others to do the opposite of what he preaches.

That's because Steve is preaching to the "lesser." He's helping them by elevating them up. But HIS kids are already on a higher level, so of course he won't expose them to any youth groups or lectures.

You can see this attitude in various people specializing in outreach, they'll go to events hoping to find kids there, but would never in a million years let their own kids attend those same events. Or they'll teach in schools because it's better than nothing for some otherwise fallen secular kids, but would never let their holy children attend such low level schools. Etc.

Heh. They might speak with authority and knowledge on the matter, but it wouldn't be the sort of authority and knowledge Steve-O wants getting out!! :D

Has anyone read a moody book? Id love to read one, for snark puposes of course, but im not wasting my money on one (and shipping to the uk).

Can anyone post/link to an excert

I've read the Moody books. I found them interesting from a sociological standpoint. Also, I am writing a novel featuring a fundamentalist family and the books gave me a good sense of how such families go about their daily lives.

Compared to other children's books, the Moody series is most like the episodic family stories that were popular 50-100 years ago. Each chapter focuses on an event in the kids' lives-- they get a dog, they help their grandparents move to a new house, they meet a new neighbor, they bake cookies, etc. In that sense, the Moody books aren't much different from the Five Little Peppers or Carolyn Haywood's Betsy series. But the Moodys, like the Maxwells, are extremely religious, so there's a lot of focus on Bible study, family devotions, and making sure the grandparents and neighbors get saved. While the old-time kids' books include numerous tales about going to school and playing with friends, the homeschooled Moody children are completely isolated from their peers. The neighbor characters are either elderly or else they are young couples with babies. The Moody family does attend a local church before they start their nursing home ministry, but this church is barely mentioned. You'd think there would be a chapter about having fun with other kids at the annual church picnic or collecting canned food to help the needy, but no.

I've read the Moody books. I found them interesting from a sociological standpoint. Also, I am writing a novel featuring a fundamentalist family and the books gave me a good sense of how such families go about their daily lives.

Compared to other children's books, the Moody series is most like the episodic family stories that were popular 50-100 years ago. Each chapter focuses on an event in the kids' lives-- they get a dog, they help their grandparents move to a new house, they meet a new neighbor, they bake cookies, etc. In that sense, the Moody books aren't much different from the Five Little Peppers or Carolyn Haywood's Betsy series. But the Moodys, like the Maxwells, are extremely religious, so there's a lot of focus on Bible study, family devotions, and making sure the grandparents and neighbors get saved. While the old-time kids' books include numerous tales about going to school and playing with friends, the homeschooled Moody children are completely isolated from their peers. The neighbor characters are either elderly or else they are young couples with babies. The Moody family does attend a local church before they start their nursing home ministry, but this church is barely mentioned. You'd think there would be a chapter about having fun with other kids at the annual church picnic or collecting canned food to help the needy, but no.

Are they the Betsy books crossed with Elsie Dinsmore?

I don't find it terribly surprising that the conference circuit business may have died off. From what I understand, they don't do much updating of the material and frankly, they're not a rousing success from the fundie point of view in terms of marrying off children and having them start families of their own at a young age with many grandchildren. Perhaps most importantly, they come off in person very similar to the manner they come off on the blog and it's not warm, welcoming or engaging. There are better fundie speakers out there.

Ooh, I know! They've had such success with One Ton Ramp that they don't need to tour anymore! :whistle:

Sarah knows words, not context. She doesn't communicate or interact with people on a regular basis so she has no idea about social context or conversational language. Two key components of effective written communication. She doesn't read either - not fiction or even non-fiction that isn't about the bible.

To write well, you need to read well. You also need to verbally communicate with others in context. She does none of that, so her writing is as stunted and awkward as every other aspect of her so-called adult life.

I can't imagine it's easy for the Maxwells to get a room full of people wanting to know about courtship and young daughters at home when their 30 year old daughter is not a shining example of success in those areas. No courtship for her, she's been an adult SAHD for 12 years. The rest of their self promotion is the same now as it was five years ago. They don't grow, learn or change, so their shows on the road are the same shit rehashed over and over. Even die hard fundies have to get tired of the same shit, different day thing they have going on.

If God magically dropped Mr. Right out of the sky for Sarah (Geronimooooooo!!!), how would she be able to successfully function within a relationship?

A bit off topic, I'm afraid.

Sarah may be busily writing her eighth Moody book. Wonder what it will be called? Could it be "Spring Days With the Moodys?" I was reading the write up for her "Winter Days" book and was a bit perplexed.

Mom encounters the vacuum? She had never seen or encountered one before? Was she not a good keeper of the home? Or was it a metaphorical vacuum, like Steve, who sucks all fun and pleasure out of life?

Reading what Sarah writes reminds me of listening to this girl who sings in the choir with me. She has some learning differences and she is totally sheltered (in some ways), like the Maxwell daughters. No one knows exactly what her learning differences are, but there is most definitely something not right. Everyone says it's because she's a "late in life" baby, but she definitely has some learning differences and some physical things about her just don't look "normal". She will use words that she has heard other people use. She has no idea what the words mean, but she will still use them. It's like she is just parroting what she hears.

She is very immature, much like the Seven Sisters. She has never learned to drive a car. She sort of has a job, but I think it's mostly just a volunteer position- which is different from most Fundies. She also seems to always have some "boyfriend", which is not like the fundies. I think her parents want to get her married off because they are in their mid-70's and she's close to 30. So, either she gets married off or one of her siblings will have to take care of her if something happens to her parents.

It's a sad life these SAHD's lead. They have no idea what they really could do because they're locked away, praying for a man to come and court them so they can go off and live their fairy tale and pop out a baby every year.... I'll take my crazy, single life any day of the week.

I have a dirty mind. I keep thinking of this as "Mom has an encounter with the vacuum", IYKWIM.

Maybe Mom gave herself a hickey with the vacuum! :lol:

If God magically dropped Mr. Right out of the sky for Sarah (Geronimooooooo!!!), how would she be able to successfully function within a relationship?

I think she would function well with a headship. She can cook, clean, bake, sew and would learn to birth and care for multiple children as well as her headship. Thats all she was ever programed to do. As discussed numerous times before, she would no be able to successfully function in the real world. But the real world has little to do with the closed culture she was born and raised in. She likely would think herself blessed by her deity. I really don't see a lot of emotional engagement in these fundy marriages, not like what happens to real folks who have feelings for each other, so I don't think that would be a problem for her. These folks are like formulaic characters in some bad fiction.

I think she would function well with a headship. She can cook, clean, bake, sew and would learn to birth and care for multiple children as well as her headship. Thats all she was ever programed to do. As discussed numerous times before, she would no be able to successfully function in the real world. But the real world has little to do with the closed culture she was born and raised in. She likely would think herself blessed by her deity. I really don't see a lot of emotional engagement in these fundy marriages, not like what happens to real folks who have feelings for each other, so I don't think that would be a problem for her. These folks are like formulaic characters in some bad fiction.

This is the aspect I was thinking of. If some nice man noticed Sarah, befriended the family, and was truly interested in an emotionally fulfilling relationship, I don't know if she could step up to the plate. Then again, Christopher and Anna Marie look pretty happy together. But, you never really know what goes on in marriages.

I guess I really don't know what constitutes emotional fulfillment in a marriage when there is such a power differential between the husband and wife.

Mom's "encounter with the vacuum" reminds me of a commenter on the Jeubs blog once who mentioned she had suffered a head injury from a freak accident with a vacuum cleaner. (Jeubs need money, honey thread.) Maybe fundies have vacuum issues. Who knew?

Mom's "encounter with the vacuum" reminds me of a commenter on the Jeubs blog once who mentioned she had suffered a head injury from a freak accident with a vacuum cleaner. (Jeubs need money, honey thread.) Maybe fundies have vacuum issues. Who knew?

My town has a fundie vacuum cleaner dealer. It's a downtown storefront, local store, specializing in vacuums (both sale and repair).

They always have a sign in the window under the usual ads and displays, saying something along the lines of "these vacuums will clean your carpet, only Jesus can clean your soul" and they are changed up frequently.

Are they the Betsy books crossed with Elsie Dinsmore?

I haven't read Elsie, but based on the descriptions of those books it sounds like she is a whiny, miserable child who cries all the time because her father doesn't love her. Such depth of emotion does not exist in Moody land. (Ironic, given their last name, isn't it?) The Moody children are always happy. They are always well-behaved. On those rare occasions when they squabble over chores or treats, they apologize to each other immediately, without adult prompting. Nobody cries, except the baby twins when they need to be fed. The parents are also perfect and happy, although I noticed that Mom spends a lot of her time upstairs, away from her children. There are quite a lot of incidents where the kids make breakfast because Mom is pregnant and doesn't feel well, or Grandma comes over to help because Mom is busy taking care of the newborn twins. But I wonder if in real life, this is what Teri was like during her depressive years?

They always have a sign in the window under the usual ads and displays, saying something along the lines of "these vacuums will clean your carpet, only Jesus can clean your soul" and they are changed up frequently.

I can't stand businesses who wear their religious or political beliefs on their sleeves. Why risk turning off some of your customers? I don't want to have to think about religion or politics when I shop, but some of these businesses make that impossible.

Yeah, they do. How many flocked, and still flock, to Gothard? The man who has never been married or raised a family or homeschooled telling people how to do just that and more? Totally a case of truth being stranger than fiction.

People who are too insecure in their own ability to make choices and decisions will turn to anyone offering up 'easy answers'. That's how all the fundie asshats make money; they take complete advantage of human weaknesses.

I have always found it weird that Gothard has managed to brainwash and control people into doing certain things with their families. I agree a lot of the people who have flocked to Gothard are insecure and sometimes they don't think for themselves that well. It is a disgusting to think about the money Gothard, Maxwells, Malleys etc have made from weak people.

I can't stand businesses who wear their religious or political beliefs on their sleeves. Why risk turning off some of your customers? I don't want to have to think about religion or politics when I shop, but some of these businesses make that impossible.

Happily my own vacuum has never broken so I've not needed to go in there.

Completely separate from that store though, a few years ago we had a contentious mayor's race with plenty of trash-talking on the internet and sign wars, and a owner/manager of a store (different store) put up signs in the window about how he supported Candidate A and Candidate B would just be terrible. Then he found out (on the internet) that supporters of Candidate B were refusing to shop at his store, and some people even came and held up signs for Candidate B on the sidewalk juuuust off his premises.

His response? Oh, oh oh, the whining about how people were persecuting him for his political beliefs (this whining too, happened on the local internet). Luckily most sane people (on various sides of the mayor's race) pointed out to him that that's exactly why MOST shops in town explicitly didn't put political signs in the windows. You've a right to, of course, and there's nothing wrong with it, but you might end up with a boycott by some slice of your previous customer base, and it's in their right to do that, so... there it is.

Archived