IGNORED

The Incredible Shrinking Michelle Duggar

ladypuglover

At the very end of the video you can see her & JB on their wedding day.

Actually, that was his senior prom/formal. Still, her head is well above his shoulder. but I suspect she was wearing 4" fuck-me pumps, as we all did in the early 80's.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern medicine has kept her from dying a few times now, it seems reasonable that she'd take some pills if asked. Particularly if they might up her chance of having another kid.

If the term "Irish Twins" has changed to "Mexican Twins"... why wouldn't "Irish Twins" still be derogatory ? Irish were the Mexicans of the the late 19th century in terms of the culture wars and insults.

Yes, "gypped" and "jewed" are both racist. I think racism can still apply to ethnic minorities; even though some Jews, Romany and Latinos are Caucasian, they are not viewed as such by most people who make these comments.

I've never found Irish twins an offensive term, but my general rule is that if members of a group feel marginalized by my speech, I change my speech. I am sure I offend enough people without trying, why consciously do it?

"Gypped" IS racist and an insult to gypsies.

Actually, I've read that it is unlikely that the term "gypped" referred to gypsies. According to World Wide Words:

It’s often said that to gyp derives from gypsy, and it seems highly probable. However, direct evidence is lacking, and the term arose in the US, where gypsies have been less common than in Europe. Gypsies don’t call themselves that, by the way, but Roma, from their word Rom, a man. The verb only began to appear in print near the end of the nineteenth century and took some time to become well known (it’s not in the 1913 edition of the Webster Unabridged Dictionary, for example).

The confusion you mention may lie with another sense of the noun, for a college servant at the University of Cambridge (the English one). Though gyp in this sense is also sometimes said to come from gypsy, it may equally well come from the obsolete gippo, a menial kitchen servant; this once meant a man’s short tunic, from the obsolete French jupeau. (Gyppo, as a modern derogatory term, does seem to come from gypsy, or at least, from the same source as to gyp.)

"Gypped" being derogatory towards gypsies is something that sounds like it'd be true, but really has no evidence to support it.

The word may not come from Gypsy, but when I've used the word, in my mind it means sneaky and thieving like stereotypical Gypsy behavior. I can understand how Gypsies would not likt the word, so I make sure not to use it in front of them. Not that I'm usually or ever in the company of Gypsies. :)

But what has a kitchen servant or a man's shirt have to do with being swindled or cheated? Theft, kidnapping and shady deals are ascribed to Roma and travellers who may or may not describe themselves as 'gypsy.' I also think that the 'well, they don't call themselves "gypsy"' is a red herring, and actually supports the case. Gypsy is a made-up name for a despised, marginalized group Why not make a slur out of it, too? The American angle is somewhat meaningless, as evidenced by all sorts of phrases that entered the language.

The word may not come from Gypsy, but when I've used the word, in my mind it means sneaky and thieving like stereotypical Gypsy behavior. I can understand how Gypsies would not likt the word, so I make sure not to use it in front of them. Not that I'm usually or ever in the company of Gypsies. :)

Uh... do you really think that is the point? To not use racial/ethnic slurs in front of people of that ethnicity? Like it's ok to use slurs so long as a person of that ethnicity isn't within earshot? I think (to me) that is even MORE offensive. I can't give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't realize the word you're using is offensive if you know damn well not to say it in front of people who belong to that ethnicity. Hello, two-faced... :doh: :hand: :naughty:

But what has a kitchen servant or a man's shirt have to do with being swindled or cheated? Theft, kidnapping and shady deals are ascribed to Roma and travellers who may or may not describe themselves as 'gypsy.' I also think that the 'well, they don't call themselves "gypsy"' is a red herring, and actually supports the case. Gypsy is a made-up name for a despised, marginalized group Why not make a slur out of it, too? The American angle is somewhat meaningless, as evidenced by all sorts of phrases that entered the language.

IIRC, the college servants were considered to be thieves and cheats (sort of how a lot of rich white people with minority maids or other house workers characterize them as such, even if they've never done anything to warrant it)

The "they don't call themselves that" was an FYI, not a red herring. It's a website devoted to the origins of words and phrases, of course it's going to throw in the correct usage and origin of word "Roma".

The fact is that there's no clear evidence the term "gyp" or "gypped" involved a reference to gypsies.

all the vitamins in the world aren't going to help Michelle after 21 pregnancies (yes I am counting Caleb, although Michelle might not)

My Mum is 8 years older than Michelle and looks fantastic. She cycles everyday, lifts weights etc. However she has health problems from the THREE children she had. And she had us in her 20s-so had the youngest 26 years ago. Michelle's body must be an absolute fricken mess :(

Oh and an Irish Australian here-who is an Irish twin herself and has no problems with the term ;)

I started having calcium deficiency issues when I had my son at age 23. I can't even begin to imagine how many health issues Michelle is dealing with. She needs to stop breeding before she disappears.

Most posts do as we all seem to have ADD.

Hey! I have adhd ! and I'm offended by this! OH LOOK A CHICKEN!!!

(I do have ADHD, and i'm totally not offended, I was trying to make a joke. :) )

I am Irish and have no problem with the term when its used descriptively and not to be an asshole, just like so many other words. "They're Irish twins" versus "fucking catholics keeping popping out irish twins."

I feel like Michelle is so far gone into the mindset that she'd consider it a worthy cause to die prematurely because of too many pregnancies.

You said it, to YOU it offensive. To ME, it isn't. I do indeed know the word is offensive to Gypsies, hence I am nice enough not to use they word gyp in their ear-shot. I'm not two-faced. I'm careful. I wouldn't call a fundie a fundie to their face, either.

I know this is off-topic but now I just can't stop thinking about it :think:

my friend had a daughter, then a year later she had twins. Does she now have Irish triplets?

Hey! I have adhd ! and I'm offended by this! OH LOOK A CHICKEN!!!

(I do have ADHD, and i'm totally not offended, I was trying to make a joke. :) )

:romance-grouphug:

You said it, to YOU it offensive. To ME, it isn't. I do indeed know the word is offensive to Gypsies, hence I am nice enough not to use they word gyp in their ear-shot. I'm not two-faced. I'm careful. I wouldn't call a fundie a fundie to their face, either.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /two-faced

I was looking for a wedding photo of JB&M on their wedding day in 1984, but can't find it. She's not that much shorter than Boob in that one.

These are LOLed, but here you go.

Wedding:

6008693655_a45033a3ee.jpg

Prom(?):

5996376561_831356c857.jpg

To be fair, she's said she gets her cycles back even when breastfeeding. Some women do, and that's natural. She could be lying about it and just weening super early, but I doubt it.

I got mine back at three months. :x :cry:

These are LOLed, but here you go.

Wedding:

6008693655_a45033a3ee.jpg

Prom(?):

5996376561_831356c857.jpg

My money on these 2 photos is that she's in heels.

Archived