IGNORED

Another Homeschool Question

GenerationCedarchip

I was just curious. Is it possible to get a high school diploma if you homeschool or is it GED-only? I was just curious because in some circles there's a stigma against the GED and since a fair number of the homeschoolers I encounter are pretty advanced academically, that just doesn't seem fair.

I was just curious. Is it possible to get a high school diploma if you homeschool or is it GED-only? I was just curious because in some circles there's a stigma against the GED and since a fair number of the homeschoolers I encounter are pretty advanced academically, that just doesn't seem fair.

In North Carolina, the homeschool family registers like a private school, and can confer a diploma in that school's name (most are something like the family's last name, or "Grace", "faith", etc "Academy" or "School", although one family a few years ago named theirs the "KLAN Christian Academy" - that must have looked great on a diploma when the kids were job-hunting). For colleges and the military, this diploma, along with a transcript of courses and grades, usually suffices, but there are recommendations for the students to do some "dual enrollment" classes at a local community college, to prove that their work really is up to par. There are also some online and other type homeschool programs that offer their own diplomas.

When I graduated home-school high school (back in the homeschool dark ages -- 2001) I was advised by one college to supplement my home school diploma with a GED and by another not to because it would invalidate my home school transcripts and diploma. Home schooling monitoring by my state was a joke, then at least, and my transcript/diploma was strictly a family affair.

I ended up telling the one college I was not going to take the GED, they'd have to rely on my diploma, and they weren't thrilled but then offered me a full academic ride anyway. So that was nifty.

If I were to homeschool through high school (which I personally am not a big fan of) there's no way I'd let my kids take the GED unless they dropped out before graduating.

I was homeschooled k-12 in Washington State and I had a graduation and received a diploma from the Washington Homeschool Organization. It was mostly symbolic, but I believe there was some sort of standard we had to meet. It was kind of a moot point as I had completed my highschool coursework and SAT testing at 16 and by graduation (age 18) already had 2 years of full-time community college under my belt and an associates degree in accounting. I have never been asked to provide proof of high school completion by anyone, ever.

I believe in Washington State a homeschooling parent can create their own diploma and its considered as valid as any other school diploma but I could be mistaken. Although I homeschool my own kids now, its been a long time since I've been involved with high school stuff!

MY kids will get a diploma issued by me. There is a push by a particular homeschool group in PA.to do THEIR (money making scheme) "diploma program" . Funny, because their own kids are grown now (and didn;t do this program)and the group need a new way to make money in the homeschool world so they are trying to scare people into this stupidity.

I know MANY grown homeschoolers in college now who are in on their "MOM DIPLOMA" and transcripts. They are in "real colleges",not just community. Many colleges not only accept but court homeschoolers. I have a friend whose daughter just got a scholarship to Chatham University largely based on the essay she wrote. She was unschooled and her transcripts were "creative".

Cyber schools like K12 count the same as a regular highschool would.

MY kids will get a diploma issued by me. There is a push by a particular homeschool group in PA.to do THEIR (money making scheme) "diploma program" . Funny, because their own kids are grown now (and didn;t do this program)and the group need a new way to make money in the homeschool world so they are trying to scare people into this stupidity.

I know MANY grown homeschoolers in college now who are in on their "MOM DIPLOMA" and transcripts. They are in "real colleges",not just community. Many colleges not only accept but court homeschoolers. I have a friend whose daughter just got a scholarship to Chatham University largely based on the essay she wrote. She was unschooled and her transcripts were "creative".

clibbyjo, I think you are an awesome mom and homeschooler, and I'm not a big fan of homeschooling, but it seems like if someone is going to do it, you would be a terrific model.

Not to nitpick, but I just want to point out that community colleges are "real colleges", at least in my state. State community colleges and state universities are recipricol here, so a student who does not have parents who can write big checks and doesn't want to take on a lot of debt can do their core requirements at community college and then transfer to university for literally a fraction of the cost.

My son did this (except for one semester at a private university), and having done all my undergrad at university, I feel he's gotten a better education than I did (no huge lecture hall classes, TAs and professors he could actually understand, very approachable faculty, etc). And he also was the recipient of an academic scholarship from community college, so he's paid almost nothing so far. He will transfer to the College of Education at a Big-10 state university and according to the advisors at both institutions, every single credit that he had earned in community college will transfer.

Sorry, but it's just a pet peeve of mine. In today's economy, a fully accredited community college is a legitimate option for a lot of students and well-performing students with very respectable GPAs make that choice a lot here.

I am with you 100% Austin and my son will have 2 years in at community as well. :clap: I should have worded that differently. Many people think homeschoolers cannot get into a 4 year university with a homeschool diploma alone and I wanted to show that is NOT true. My pet peeve is many people think all homeschoolers are like the Duggar's and strive for vocations requiring no college. In reality, every secular homeschooler I know of adult age went to college(except one who became a professional ballerina right out of ballet school and he now owns his own dance troupe). The few Christian homeschoolers I know in the 18+ category are not doing college at all.Wait, I do know one who is taking 1 on-line community college class and trying to clep out of the basics.

"Real" colleges court homeschoolers in our area, too; my son still gets brochures from a few local ones who got his name from a co-op, I guess. Colleges also had tables at the homeschool fairs / conventions we attended. They really do seem to be more than just accepting of homeschoolers, and are downright enthusiastic in many cases. Then again, these were co-ops and conventions that the Duggars would never attend.

Archived