IGNORED

Christian Women shouldn't be silly!

Witsec1

A guest author on Visionary Womanhood writes:

Is there a place for being silly in the life of a Christian lady? One who professes godliness?

...(long string of bible verses and dictionary definitions)..

...There are many “hard sayings†in the Bible. â€Be sober†is clear and straight forward. I encourage you to do your own study, to discuss this with your husband, and to find out the “why†of it all. We are to be sober (serious) and watching in prayer, because our adversary is seeking to destroy us. We can easily be deceived and led astray when our guard is down while we are “just goofing around.â€

A reader comments:

MaryEllen@TheImperfectHomemaker says:

February 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Wow! I tend to be “goofy†sometimes too. I’ll sing senseless songs that I learned as a child. Then it hits me that what I am doing is totally vain – it has no value whatsoever. And what makes it worse is that my children are watching me. I have to replace the silliness with a song or hymn or start saying Scripture verses out loud to get my mind back in the right place. Thanks for this post!

I feel sorry for these women, but I feel sorry for their children even more. Being silly together is a way our family bonds. We have lots of silly inside jokes and sayings. Why are these women so afraid of being silly? I think it points to something deep-seated in the fundy mindset.

ETA linkiness: visionarywomanhood.com/silly-girl/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:doh:

I am doomed. First a post about how women with emotional problems are selfish and not Godly and now being silly is not Godly.

I would hate to live in the world where these people live. Where a smile is suspect and being happy is the work of the devil. What does being "At Peace" really mean? Dead?

:doh:

I am doomed. First a post about how women with emotional problems are selfish and not Godly and now being silly is not Godly.

I would hate to live in the world where these people live. Where a smile is suspect and being happy is the work of the devil. What does being "At Peace" really mean? Dead?

I know! This is reason #5769 why I could never be a fundie.

clearly those visionary women are going to the Steve "I only ever smiled once and that was at a funeral" Maxwell school of living. How grim.

:dance: :angelic-blueglow: :animals-bunny: :animals-chickencatch: :animals-ginger: :animals-dogrun: :animals-fishgreen: :animals-fishblue: :auto-dirtbike: :banana-angel: :banana-stoner: :character-spamcan: :greetings-wavegreen::happy-bouncygreen::happy-sunshine::obscene-drinkingdrunk:

excessive and random use of smilies because I AM SILLY and I am good with that.

I don't see any contradiction between being sober-minded when the need arises and being silly around family - and especially around kids who learn from play.

My husband and I pay our bills and do our duties, but we try to inject humor at various points in our lives.

What joyless people some of these fundies are. They'll return their lives to God still in the original sealed wrapping.

I am pretty silly and the older I am the more goofy I become. My grandmother could be quite goofy and I see no reason not to model myself on her.

Being goofy in front of kids is the best time! I'm always singing silly songs, its how little kids learn. You sing 'five little ducks' or 'ten geen bottles' with little kids, you are teachong them the basics of maths.

Edit, i hate typing on my pad.

I'm Catholic. I am one of the silliest people among my friends and family. It's one of the things that my hubby would probably say he likes most about me. The ability to act like a fool, dance around, make up songs (my husband calls it "creating musicals"), and laugh together is an integral part of our marriage.

I'm sure that some of these women would describe me as "foolish". I don't care. God gave us a sense of humor for a reason. I think it's part of the reason that my husband and I have weathered so many storms, that I'm still alive despite having this illness, and the uncanny way we've always been able to make lemonade out of lemons. That's their problem. Always sucked those lemons and pursing those lips, when all they have to do is add a little sweetness to life and enjoy a refreshing moment of absolute abandon.

I don't see any contradiction between being sober-minded when the need arises and being silly around family - and especially around kids who learn from play.

My husband and I pay our bills and do our duties, but we try to inject humor at various points in our lives.

What joyless people some of these fundies are. They'll return their lives to God still in the original sealed wrapping.

And they call us joyless hags...

Yet another reason I'd be in trouble in fundie-land. Part of our wedding vows read: "To be silly, to be serious and to enjoy all of life"

How boring! That's one thing I've noticed about many fundie women (looking at you Zsu) is that they seldom use humour in their writings, unless it's to mock us unsaved masses on our way to hell. Being serious every frigging time must be so boring...

One time I was lurking on a Puritan-Calvinist board where one member mentionned that he thought laughing, goofing off + telling jokes are sinful and were tools of the Devil; he quoted many Bible verses out of context to support it. Most people that replied disagreed.

How can one be a parent and not be silly at times? Like others said, children learn through play and being silly with you child and your spouse leads to building long lasting relationships. I'm silly with my kids, husband, sisters and friends and I'm not going to change any time soon. :snooty:

The woman needs to learn some balance in her life. Since when is it wrong to joke around, play games and sing songs. She needs to lighten up, get some fresh air, and find some fun friends. There is such a mindset that is too religious for one's own good.

DOn't they know laughter is medicine. Also, the Bible tells you to laugh so get a grip, silly women. Smile and laugh-it's contagious.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken

spirit drieth the bones." Proverbs 17:22

"We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy.

And the other nations said, “What amazing things the

Lord has done for them.†Psalm 126:2

"He will once again fill your mouth with laughter and your lips

with shouts of joy." Job 8:21

Silly, goofy people make the world better and brighter. Being serious all the time is such a drag. All these people today from the uplifting quotes turned into ridiculous selfishness to the never sing or be happy folk make me think of the Puritans "Fun is sinful."

How is it vain and without value? There is a value to joy, and being silly is not "excessively proud" (to quote the dictionary's definition of vain). If anything, being silly can keep you humble, how on earth is it vain?

I don't buy that God doesn't want us to be silly. . . .I think the platypus is evidence of that.

I'm pretty sure God wasn't "sober" that day that He created the platypus. Maybe He had a little too much wine with His Son?

I don't know which makes me want to jump off a bridge more: suggesting women should take no joy in life, lest Satan snatch us whilst we sing silly songs to our children - OR - suggesting we discuss this opinion with our husbands, just to be sure.

Guest Anonymous

If Mr. Snarky and I couldn't be silly, either singly or together, you would long since have read about us on the 11:00 o'clock news,.

Archived