IGNORED

Susan G. Komen for the cure Caves in power to the people

doggie

Too little, too late. They've shown their true colors. I'm taking my money elsewhere, to organizations that use it wisely and have a consistent track record of caring and valuing the lives of women.

Yep. Hope they fire that republican nasty. we can only hope. But I really like how these companies have been backing down from their poor decisions when people protest. It is about time they listened.

That "reversal" is such passive-aggressive bullshit. They're only saying that they will "honor existing grants" and that Planned Parenthood is free to apply for these grants, but that Komen can (and probably will) deny funding, as part of a "movement away from pass-through services."

Too little, too late. They've shown their true colors. I'm taking my money elsewhere, to organizations that use it wisely and have a consistent track record of caring and valuing the lives of women.

I'm done with them (well, to be honest I have been for 3 years). I'm glad that they've been exposed. They can all kiss my ass.

I've been against women for a few years out of concern that they were getting too big for their britches and I was bitched out for hating women. Well they've finally shown, very clearly, what they're about. Those so-called "pass-through services" are vital. What are they going to do, start giving money to hospitals so that women still have to pay out of pocket for mammograms even if they can't afford it? The screening process, whether it happens at a Planned Parenthood or hospital, is extremely important, and it does't matter where hat first step happens. Most Americans who have insurance have HMOs, and HMOs operate by referring people to others anyway. So Planned Parenthood detecting a problem and passing you to a different doctor is the same as a PCP detecting something unusual and passing you to another doctor. One of the executives has been outspoken against Planned Parenthood for years, and got onboard at Komen late last year, and now this.

They can backpedal all they want. The trust anyone had has been broken.

They didn't back down to anything. If anything, they just put a spin on what they had already said. They are funding EXISTING grants through 2013 and making them ELIGIBLE to reapply. That's what they had planned to do all along. We'll see if PP gets funded in 2013. I'm thinking no.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation, which recently announced that it is ending grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screening because of a controversial investigation launched by an anti-abortion Republican congressman, currently funds cancer research at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center to the tune of $7.5 million. Like Planned Parenthood, Penn State is currently the subject of a federal government investigation, and like the Planned Parenthood grant, the Penn State grant appears to violate a new internal rule at Komen that bans grants to organizations that are under investigation by federal, state, or local governments. But so far, only the Planned Parenthood grants appear to have been cancelled.

I've been against women for a few years out of concern that they were getting too big for their britches and I was bitched out for hating women. Well they've finally shown, very clearly, what they're about. Those so-called "pass-through services" are vital. What are they going to do, start giving money to hospitals so that women still have to pay out of pocket for mammograms even if they can't afford it? The screening process, whether it happens at a Planned Parenthood or hospital, is extremely important, and it does't matter where hat first step happens. Most Americans who have insurance have HMOs, and HMOs operate by referring people to others anyway. So Planned Parenthood detecting a problem and passing you to a different doctor is the same as a PCP detecting something unusual and passing you to another doctor. One of the executives has been outspoken against Planned Parenthood for years, and got onboard at Komen late last year, and now this.

They can backpedal all they want. The trust anyone had has been broken.

Pretty sure that you mean "Komen" not "women" since when I just typed Komen autocorrect changed it to women. :)

After this asshole move of theirs, I don't trust Komen any more to do the right thing. At all. I'll just keep donating to PP directly.

The more I read and the more I know about Karen Handel the more I'm positive this "reversal" is just words. They were never pulling funding that was already promised, it was always about future grants and funding. So... you'll allow them to "apply", oh gee, thanks! I'm sure I can apply to Dougie's school for boyz (VF intern) but I stand zero chance at that considering I dont have a dick.... atleast Dougie lets us know the criteria:

1 - Dicks

2 - Love Dougie

3 - Dick

4 - Ability to not burst out laughing while posing for manly pictures.

I don't really care that they are doing damage control and still might cut off funding for PP. The cat is out of the bag and a lot of people saw how much of a bunch of pro-life money grabbers they really are.

After this asshole move of theirs, I don't trust Komen any more to do the right thing. At all. I'll just keep donating to PP directly.

In the mind of many of us survivors Komen was never doing the right thing.

Pink schmink. Never liked this charity to begin with. I'll make sure now to try to give more of my $'s to PP.

I'm actually kind of glad this happened. The pink needs to removed from people's glasses and this whole clusterfuck has done a lot towards making that happen. They got too big for themselves and any purpose they may have served long ago. Money is better spent and donated elsewhere. The pink machine is a waste of everything and they're more about image than accomplishments.

Whatever they say or do now, they've pretty much alienated both 'sides' - by saying they're pulling funding then by backpedaling. The number of people I've seen and heard cheer them on Wednesday, only to be done with them today, speaks loud and clear. They screwed everyone, including themselves. I'm kind of glad for it.

But now I have to listen to all my smug-ass conservative friends on Facebook talk about freedom of speech and bullying non-profits and how liberals have to take such a polarized view of everything. Yeah, I feel a bit effing polarized by people trying to limit access to birth control.

I usually hate the "slippery slope" argument, because a-hole fundies use it all the time, but I really think this is a slippery slope. These people will not stop until they're living in their own conservative utopia and absolutely everything the disapprove of is either illegal or rendered powerless.

A lot of my friends have made gift donations to PP in the name of SGK.

I ended up making a donation to PP yesterday even though we can ill afford to be making donations right now. I felt it was that important to support PP and do my part in making up the difference of the missing money. There are a lot of women who would be in trouble if PP ceased to exist. My sister gets her yearly exams there because she cannot afford to go to a gyn. Every year, they make sure my sister is healthy and for that alone I will always support them.

A guy I know donated $1000 to PP on Wednesday. He'd never donated to them before, but this was so infuriating!

In some ways, I'm actually kind of glad this happened. I've never been happy about the pinkwashing. Last October, I found myself muttering "pinkwashing...pinkwashing...MORE pinkwashing" as I was doing my grocery shopping. Looking at Komen's financial statements only confirmed what I was feeling, which is that of the money they take in, 40 percent goes to "awareness," which includes those commercials for the Komen 3-day. Another 20 percent or so goes to overhead. And slightly less than 20 percent goes to research. That Planned Parenthood grant of $680,000? Why that was 0.20 percent of what Komen takes in ($350 million + per year).

It's also not just the pinkwashing, it's also how breast cancer has been taken from a devastating killer disease to a fuzzy bunny disease that you can beat with hope and perseverance. Fuck that. My aunt died from breast cancer. It's an awful disease. You shouldn't be forced by convention to always, always, always put a brave face on your devastating disease because it's breast cancer.

The other thing I'm happy about is that Planned Parenthood came out swinging. This is the way to fight right wing nut jobs. Don't concede a damn thing.

Sorry for the rant.

Komen pays those executives like they are working for GM or Apple Computers. It is ridiculous. I bet 50% of their budget is to pay those salaries and provide fancy offices.

Nancy "facelift" Brinker is looking for her next Republican ambassador appointment. Karen Handel needs to be working for a scuzzy CPC somewhere. ( I know there are CPCs that are helpful, so I'm told, but she seems like the type to deceive women and make up crap, and then hand-out the recalled car seats).

PP is on the front-line of women's health. The Komen folks just want to go to society dinners. I bet Susan Komen is rolling over in her grave.

This whole thing is very confusing to me.

If this was only about future grant cycles, and wouldn't impact current funding -- why did it even make the news ?

I apply for grants all day long and grant guidelines change all the time - what we qualify for this year might not be a priority next year, or the funder might have lost money or decided they want to go a different direction or whatever. Grants are never a sure thing .. even ones you have relied on for decades can be gone the next year.

The dollar amount was a teeny tiny little drop in the bucket in the overall picture for either PP or Komen .. so I guess I'm just not seeing how this got all this publicity ?

And if it was based on being 'under investigation' .. wouldn't the investigation be resolved by 2014 or whenever the new grant cycles begin ?

When I first heard the story I assumed it was about current funds so the outcry made a lot of sense ... but this just seems weird. I agree that it is good that people are now looking at Komen more critically, because they suck in general, but this doesn't seem like that unusual circumstance in the world of non-profit funding.

SGK has really cut their own throat now. They lost the pro-choice people when they cut the funding to PP and now they have lost the pro-life people when they flip-flopped back again.

I was just browsing over a Rapture Ready and they are all frothing at the mouth and swearing they will never donate to SGK ever ever EVER!!!!!!111eleventy

In the mind of many of us survivors Komen was never doing the right thing.

Could you please explain? Not being snarky at all; I just don't understand what you mean.

Archived