IGNORED

Questions about the FLDS compounds

Were they always as bad as they have been under Jeffs? I wondered what the history of them is and if much is known. On the OWN documentary about Lost Boys, one of the boys mentioned that it wasn't always like that, that they used to have dances and some choice in spouses, were able to watch movies and listen to some music, etc. I just wondered if the people there ever had a slightly better standard of living? Is the child-bride practice and abuse of young girls recent or has it always gone on? Well, in once since it's always been there because child abuse happens in every group unfortunately, but I'm wondering if the practice was as encouraged or as widespread? Is there a sort of movement towards extremism from say the Short Creek raids until now? I'm just curious and wondered if anyone knew or could recommend resources.

There was a photo posted a week or so back of the Short Creek wives, it was a fundy hairstyle thread. Its the photo of them waiting in the jail to see their husbands. The women were fashionable and relatively attractive, arms and legs bared.

I listened to an interview of Mitt Romney's relatives on NPR, they're in Mexico, they were attempting to distance themselves from Jeffs, but were very open about their lifestyle.

they were definitely NOT always as they have been under Warren (and Rulon) Jeffs. Read Carolyn Jessop's book about that particular sect. I also recommend Sam Brower's book -- such a great perspective from an outsider. I am currently reading Favorite Wife by Susan Schmidt who grew up on one of the mexican compounds. Susan describes how matches are made within their sect -- the girl (not the prophet) gets the message of who she shall marry from God.

There was a photo posted a week or so back of the Short Creek wives, it was a fundy hairstyle thread. Its the photo of them waiting in the jail to see their husbands. The women were fashionable and relatively attractive, arms and legs bared.

I listened to an interview of Mitt Romney's relatives on NPR, they're in Mexico, they were attempting to distance themselves from Jeffs, but were very open about their lifestyle.

Apparently, Mitt's father was born on a compund in Mexico because Mitt's grandfather had many wives.

NBC's Rock Center also did a story on Mitt's relatives in Mexico a few weeks ago and they are bracing for the media to descend on them if Mitt gets the nomination.

Apparently, Mitt's father was born on a compund in Mexico because Mitt's grandfather had many wives.

NBC's Rock Center also did a story on Mitt's relatives in Mexico a few weeks ago and they are bracing for the media to descend on them if Mitt gets the nomination.

John Huntsman is also a relative of Mitts via their families in Mexico. I loved how Mitt said that his Father was a Mexican immigrant.

The anglo-Mexican polygamous Mormon groups in Mexico are also trying to get Mexico's gun-control laws liberalized, American-style - I was so geeked to hear Colonia LeBaron mentioned in a news story about that last week!

Child brides have always been common for fundamentalist Mormons, but it wasn't so far off the mainstream normal back in the '40s and '50s. And the groups varied a lot on how much power women had to choose husbands - Irene Spencer basically fell in love with Verlan LeBaron and decided to marry him even though she grew up outside polygamy (but just like Susan Schmidt, once married she had very little power or money.)

I can't answer the OP's question but I'll just add that the FLDS (Jeff's group at least) worries me a lot lately.

I read a report from someone who escaped that things at the compound are very tense, worst than ever...Not to dramatize but generally when a cult becomes even more paranoid of outsiders than before it usually doesn't end well.

W. Jeffs still runs the group from prison, apparently.

A good blog about the Texas FLDS: http://texasflds.wordpressDOTcom/2012/0 ... ussion-71/

I broke the link...

Carolyn Jessup's book is a great read. I do recall her saying things got a lot worse under Jeffs, but it doesn't sound like they were very great to begin with.

Archived