IGNORED

Rolling Stone Article on Anoka/Henn and the eebil gay agenda

prairiemuffin

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202

If someone could please tell me how in the blue hell an event like the one quoted below was allowed to happen in a PUBLIC SCHOOL, I'd sure be grateful:

"Justin shrugged and smiled, then retreated to his room. It had been a hard day: the annual "Day of Truth" had been held at school, an evangelical event then-sponsored by the anti-gay ministry Exodus International, whose mission is to usher gays back to wholeness and "victory in Christ" by converting them to heterosexuality. Day of Truth has been a font of controversy that has bounced in and out of the courts; its legality was affirmed last March, when a federal appeals court ruled that two Naperville, Illinois, high school students' Day of Truth T-shirts reading BE HAPPY, NOT GAY were protected by their First Amendment rights. (However, the event, now sponsored by Focus on the Family, has been renamed "Day of Dialogue.") Local churches had been touting the program, and students had obediently shown up at Anoka High School wearing day of truth T-shirts, preaching in the halls about the sin of homosexuality. Justin wanted to brush them off, but was troubled by their proselytizing. Secretly, he had begun to worry that maybe he was an abomination, like the Bible said."

*The "Justin" referred to in this article is Justin Aaberg, one of the numerous suicides in this school district. His mother, Tammy Aaberg, along with other concerned folk, have recently started a non-profit called Justin's Gift: http://www.justinsgift.org/

. They argued that any form of gay tolerance in school is actually an insidious means of promoting homosexuality – that openly discussing the matter would encourage kids to try it, turning straight kids gay.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... z1lGOclynx

Really we talked about being gay in my health classes from 6th grade to graduation and in college I read tons of books about all kinds of sexuality and I haven't turned into a lesbian yet.

About the First Amendment right to be an asshole: those rights do not apply in public schools. Kids at my son's school get suspended if they have a visible cell phone or if they say certain racist terms. They are not allowed to shout down their teachers or even go to the bathroom without permission. And those rules are all fine and good, public schools have to maintain order.

I don't understand why it is such an infringement to protect gay students. Why is this the *one* area in which we will not exercise a little control over the school environment?

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Yet these people would have kittens were a, say, muslim organization come in and suggest girls cover up to reduce sexual misconduct, or a even a buddhist group come in and suggest meditation as a way to reduce violence or bullying.

I am ever so lucky to have grown up where I have.

They claim BGLT people have an agenda? Really?!? It's more like the religious conservative fuckity fuck shitty assholes have an agenda. One to turn American into an intolerant fuckin' theocracy that has no freedom of speech but for week white Christian males who have to have women cover up themselves to not feel tempted who claim to be strong but aren't. Dammit, sorry for all the cursing, but this article makes me so angry and sad at the same time. I should show this to my fucking bigot of a father and explain to him that this is why atheists and non-Christians hate Christians. Fuck. :angry-cussingblack: :(

I've always been profoundly grateful not to live in the borders of that school district. The one bad thing, though, is that your complaints aren't taken to heart too much if you aren't part of the district.

What is wrong with the parents in this situation? you can't tell me that every adult responsibile for a child in that high school was ok with this event going on. Did they just keep their lips zipped? And even if you don't advocate homosexuality, you're fine with a completely Christian themed event happening in your kid's school?

:shock:

It sounds like the kids did it themselves, so it was not a school event per se. Kind of like the extremely annoying Day of Prayer.

It sounds like the kids did it themselves, so it was not a school event per se. Kind of like the extremely annoying Day of Prayer.

You are correct, thank you. I was so frickin' irritated reading this article, I didn't pick up on that.

Barb Anderson-according to the article- believes that mentioning any type of homosexuality will turn straight kids gay. What the hell? I don't even know how to respond to that level of stupidity.

About the First Amendment right to be an asshole: those rights do not apply in public schools. Kids at my son's school get suspended if they have a visible cell phone or if they say certain racist terms. They are not allowed to shout down their teachers or even go to the bathroom without permission. And those rules are all fine and good, public schools have to maintain order.

I don't understand why it is such an infringement to protect gay students. Why is this the *one* area in which we will not exercise a little control over the school environment?

Christian privilege.

Personally, when we finally adopt I'm going to homeschool until we get into the right kind of school district. :flags-canada:

Archived