IGNORED

Starbucks supports gay marriage and pisses off the fundies

Shina

It amazes me that people are boycotting.

"Someone has an opinion on a political matter that will affect me in no way! How dare they disagree with me?"

Eh, I dunno, I do the same if I find a company is taking a stance or actions that I find immoral or abusive (like the afore mentioned Chick-fil-A; or, another example, I'll always pick Home Depot over Lowe's after they've both demonstrated their respective attitudes to religious and gay rights). I wouldn't do it over a "clean" political/economical difference or whatever, but over an issue of civil rights, absolutely.

I don't generally shop at corporations because my family has always own family businesses and I understand the importance in supporting small businesses. That being said, I do love Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate. With whip cream it is 600 calories of pure heaven!

Eh, I dunno, I do the same if I find a company is taking a stance or actions that I find immoral or abusive (like the afore mentioned Chick-fil-A; or, another example, I'll always pick Home Depot over Lowe's after they've both demonstrated their respective attitudes to religious and gay rights). I wouldn't do it over a "clean" political/economical difference or whatever, but over an issue of civil rights, absolutely.

But that *does* affect us. If people I love are harmed by something that a company does, then I can see a boycott. I feel that Lowe's is supporting religious bigotry and giving the right wing even more of a platform which they will use to take away my personal rights. Gay marriage has no effect on people who are against it. I can't believe anyone even cares.

But that *does* affect us. If people I love are harmed by something that a company does, then I can see a boycott. I feel that Lowe's is supporting religious bigotry and giving the right wing even more of a platform which they will use to take away my personal rights. Gay marriage has no effect on people who are against it. I can't believe anyone even cares.

I'm ABSOLUTELY not disagreeing with your point that people protesting marriage equality are eejits, I am just saying, I'll boycott over a moral issue even if it does not directly affect me or my loved ones, and a fundy might easily use my exact reasoning. As a Caucasian in an overwhelmingly white community, for instance, I'll probably never be affected by anti black racism, and yet I'll protest it.

(I'm sorry if I'm coming off as argumentative for argument's sake. It's late, I am cranky, and my not-yet-gay-married gf is too sick to even consider putting out. I hope I'm making any sense)

No, that is not argumentative at all.

I guess I see prejudice as something that directly affects me just because I don't want to deal with more bullshit in my daily life than I have to. But I guess a fundie could make the argument that they feel the same way about gay marriage.

I don't really know anything about Starbucks as a company, but it it really a huge surprise to fundies that they'd support gay marriage? It never seemed like a super-conservative organization to me. If only I liked coffee... :mrgreen:

Yeah this doesn't surprise me, but I'm sure some people just never knew!

As for non coffee things.. just about anything, other than coffee, can be made without coffee in it. Their frozen drinks, frapps (only cause I can't spell out the damn word!) can all be made with a cream base... basically just ask. White mocha CREAM Frap vs White Mocha Frap... they'll accommodate you in any way they can. And if you like tea, they have a great selection of teas that are amazing. They also have tea frapps, like the Chai Cream frapp, it's cream based and deliciousness.

I feel like a walking starbucks ad at times, but meh. I find if I limit my visits there to once a week, I can morally feel good about spending the other 6 times I may go out for drinks down to the local coffee shop. Supporting small businesses (local shop) AND supporting a company to which I feel has excellent morals and an inclusive policy for their workers (starbucks). I feel it's a win/win.

Archived