IGNORED

Seven Sisters were in Florida

clibbyjo

I just don't get the Peter Pan collars. Ugh, my biggest pet peeve...you can dress modest...heck, even wear a modest dress...and not look like Laura Ingalls Wilder!

Actually, Laura Ingalls Wilder was a smart dresser as a teen - very fashion-conscious, had bangs when they were a bit cutting-edge, and describes non-frumper clothing quite lovingly and in detail in her books. Her mother, who was a very modest lady, wasn't into frumpers, either - when she was young, her clothes were made by a real dress-maker and were quite elegant. From what I know, they were quite main-stream people and it was important for them to fit in and look as good as they could on a very tight budget. They didn't shun modern technology either; Laura praised it repeatedly because it gave the farm women more time to get out of the house, read newspapers, become club members and even take part in politics. I think they would have been horrified at the way fundies glorify the past. If you actually lived in the late 19th century, like Laura Ingalls Wilder, you would actually know about the risks and deprivations of the pioneer lifestyle and not regard it as the wholesome, lovely way of life god meant us all to adopt.

End of rant.

That said, I actually like the seven sisters and think their parents aren't too crazy, as fundies go.

Do the girls not even have swim suits at all? Can't they wear those dreadful modesty suits? I hope I'm missing the pics of them frolicking in the water like their brothers.

They removed the pic of them standing in the water in their frumpers(bottoms of frumpers were wet) so you know they could go past their knees. They do have the modesty suits I think. I remember some of them wearing them on another vacation,but don't remember when exactly.

Actually, Laura Ingalls Wilder was a smart dresser as a teen - very fashion-conscious, had bangs when they were a bit cutting-edge, and describes non-frumper clothing quite lovingly and in detail in her books. Her mother, who was a very modest lady, wasn't into frumpers, either - when she was young, her clothes were made by a real dress-maker and were quite elegant. From what I know, they were quite main-stream people and it was important for them to fit in and look as good as they could on a very tight budget. They didn't shun modern technology either; Laura praised it repeatedly because it gave the farm women more time to get out of the house, read newspapers, become club members and even take part in politics. I think they would have been horrified at the way fundies glorify the past. If you actually lived in the late 19th century, like Laura Ingalls Wilder, you would actually know about the risks and deprivations of the pioneer lifestyle and not regard it as the wholesome, lovely way of life god meant us all to adopt.

End of rant.

That said, I actually like the seven sisters and think their parents aren't too crazy, as fundies go.

I got told! ;) Fair enough, I should have said "Melissa Gilbert from LHOTP TV show." Or FLDS style :)

You are right though, the pioneer women had to be tough and independent. Even the working class city women often worked outside the home in factories...and if not they did needlework from home.

The patriarchy movement seems to idealize a past that really existed for very few women (essentially, a few middle class and upper class women). Even then, those women were expected to be active outside the home volunteering for various charities.

I got told! ;) Fair enough, I should have said "Melissa Gilbert from LHOTP TV show." Or FLDS style :)

You are right though, the pioneer women had to be tough and independent. Even the working class city women often worked outside the home in factories...and if not they did needlework from home.

The patriarchy movement seems to idealize a past that really existed for very few women (essentially, a few middle class and upper class women). Even then, those women were expected to be active outside the home volunteering for various charities.

Sorry, I hope this didn't sound obnoxious! :cry: As a historian, I'm just getting a tad impatient with the patriarchy movement's constant unwillingness to acknowledge historical FACTS. :x

A little off topic, but all this talk about Laura Ingalls Wilder made me think of how well Laura wrote. She had a 1 schoolroom education, and she emerged literate, able to qualify for a teacher's certificate (or whatever they called the accreditation back then), and she wrote books (good books!). When we compare the level of English mastery of some of these SOTDRT in 2012, the comparison is shocking.

A little off topic, but all this talk about Laura Ingalls Wilder made me think of how well Laura wrote. She had a 1 schoolroom education, and she emerged literate, able to qualify for a teacher's certificate (or whatever they called the accreditation back then), and she wrote books (good books!). When we compare the level of English mastery of some of these SOTDRT in 2012, the comparison is shocking.

Well, she had two things going for her. Her mother was a teacher, and her culture wasn't quite as patriarchal as modern fundies. Education was valued for women and girls because they were seen as more than walking wombs.

Not to take away anything from Laura Wilder, but isn't is speculated that her daughter, Rose Wilder, wrote or at least heavily edited her mother's books? And Rose was a well-educated and well-traveled journalist.

In one of the pictures in another one of their blog entries, there was a picture of on of the "shared" bedrooms. It only has one bed. :roll:

Archived